The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

They got creamed today......Lowe sorta sucks now. The braves need to make a move to get at least a midlevel SP to replace him. That and maybe take uggla off the roids, guy goes up there and swings the bat like the ball is a pinata.....paid waaaaay to much for him.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got creamed today......Lowe sorta sucks now. The braves need to make a move to get at least a midlevel SP to replace him. That and maybe take uggla off the roids, guy goes up there and swings the bat like the ball is a pinata.....paid waaaaay to much for him.

Lowe is a mid-level starting pitcher and he isn't going anywhere until his contract is up. The Braves overpaid for him, so nobody would be willing to trade for his contract, but having Derek Lowe as your 4th or 5th starter (which I think he is at this point) isn't a bad thing at all. And the last thing they need to do is trade for another starter. What they need is to get Prado back in the lineup, and hopefully Moylan and Medlen back in the bullpen. If they can also pick up a RH hitter in the next couple of weeks it would be a big help. If all of that happens I think they have a real shot at catching the Phillies.

Lowe is a mid-level starting pitcher and he isn't going anywhere until his contract is up. The Braves overpaid for him, so nobody would be willing to trade for his contract, but having Derek Lowe as your 4th or 5th starter (which I think he is at this point) isn't a bad thing at all. And the last thing they need to do is trade for another starter. What they need is to get Prado back in the lineup, and hopefully Moylan and Medlen back in the bullpen. If they can also pick up a RH hitter in the next couple of weeks it would be a big help. If all of that happens I think they have a real shot at catching the Phillies.

If it's Braves vs. Phills in the playoffs, i think Lowe moves to a mid-relief roll...i didn't like the match ups in this last series at all and it's nothing like what you would see in a playoff series...i think Braves would stack up much better in a best of 5 or so where the normal rotation would change.

Braves and Phills both lost yesterday and won today...seems like we can't ever pick up a game on these guys lol.

3.5 back is good...just keep putting distance on the wild card race and i'm happy...just gotta get in the playoffs with everyone healthy and i like our chances against the Phills.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha, that ump was apparently sick of being there.

thats what i thought...what's funny is that the guy didn't even make it to the plate on the slide lol.

Of course, we have a select few here who will say he was obviously safe because that's what the call was. lol.

thats what i thought...what's funny is that the guy didn't even make it to the plate on the slide lol.

That was the design of the slide though. Its a popup slide in which he did touch home, and then the safe signal was given. I really dont believe video replay could have conclusively overturned it if they had the same rules as the NFL or college.

That was the design of the slide though. Its a popup slide in which he did touch home, and then the safe signal was given. I really dont believe video replay could have conclusively overturned it if they had the same rules as the NFL or college.

you must be as blind as a bat...lol. Thanks for proving my point. He was out by a mile or more and jumped on home plate after he figured out the ump handed him a cookie by calling him safe...he knew he was out by a mile and was as shocked as everyone else lol.

He's not even got a foot in the batters box, if he was tagged any further up the baseline the plate wouldn't be in the pic lol...i dont know what kind of replay you need to see this was a horrible call.

Slide.jpg

He was clearly out on the play. As a former umpire, i'll admit when games go deep into extra innings your judgement does start to loosen up a bit, however this umpire just let his judgement go altogether. He must of been hungry.

He was clearly out on the play. As a former umpire, i'll admit when games go deep into extra innings your judgement does start to loosen up a bit, however this umpire just let his judgement go altogether. He must of been hungry.

and from the other angle...maybe he looks more safe in this one...let's see....well...hell no.

slide2.jpg

From Umpire Jerry Meals

“I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I’m guessing he might have got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn’t see a tag.

“I just saw the glove sweep up. I didn’t see the glove hit his leg.â€

He oled him? What the hell does that mean?

I thought OLED was organic light in the new TV's

From Umpire Jerry Meals

He oled him? What the hell does that mean?

I thought OLED was organic light in the new TV's

it must be some sort of acronym for blindness?

you must be as blind as a bat...lol. Thanks for proving my point. He was out by a mile or more and jumped on home plate after he figured out the ump handed him a cookie by calling him safe...he knew he was out by a mile and was as shocked as everyone else lol.

He's not even got a foot in the batters box, if he was tagged any further up the baseline the plate wouldn't be in the pic lol...i dont know what kind of replay you need to see this was a horrible call.

Slide.jpg

Neither one of those photos confirms 100% contact. The popup slide left him short on the slide, but he popped up onto the plate. He did touch it again after the safe signal was given but it was unnecessary. The catcher should have done better than a swipe tag to give no reason of doubt. The throw beat him by a mile.

I will say, I thought he got Lugo in real time also. 98% of the time they get that call in the majors for being close to the bag, or when a throw clearly beats a runner whether the tag gets made or not. You see it alot at 2B on steals. Truly though, the ump had the best angle and theres no video or a still from a media source from a similar angle at field level. Most of these are from high above zoomed in which cannot confirm contact by the glove is all I am saying.

I will say, I thought he got Lugo in real time also. 98% of the time they get that call in the majors for being close to the bag, or when a throw clearly beats a runner whether the tag gets made or not. You see it alot at 2B on steals. Truly though, the ump had the best angle and theres no video or a still from a media source from a similar angle at field level. Most of these are from high above zoomed in which cannot confirm contact by the glove is all I am saying.

he was out...thats all i'm saying.

Ole'd. Like a matador.

Yeah. With the bull and the red blanket or whatever.

I've seen some views that make me think the catcher never touched him, then i've seen some views that it looks like he got him on the knee.

And what you're saying is wrong. He was very obviously out. As a Braves fan, all I can do is shrug my shoulders, chuckle for a minute, and appreciate a higher number in the Win column.

if you just look at the reactions of the catcher and the runner thats all you need to know...catcher obviously thought he was out by a mile and so did the runner...once he figured out the bogus call was made he jumped on the plate....he was shocked along with everyone else he was called safe...that's the tale of the tape right there for me.

I'm just glad it went in the Braves favor...lol...otherwise i'd be pissed off....and hey, we finally got #60