Consolidated school info

redtiger

I was curious about what schools are former consolidations, I know if you go far enough back all high schools were formed from the consolidation of old 1-2 room school houses. Im concerned with the "modern"(I guess that is the right way to put it) schools that were consolidated. I know Powell Valley, Northwood, Lee High, Twin Valley and Carroll County are consolidated schools but are there any others locally. Also what were the mascots and colors of the schools that were closed? Any general info would also be nice, i.e. what sport were they known for, any state titles or anything interesting. Also schools that were just closed i.e. Pocahontas. And please designate between Yellow and Gold(pet peeve of mine) if applicable, thanks

I know some info,

Powell Valley - Big Stone Gap Buccaneers and East Stone Gap Tigers(I think) but I dont know school colors. I think East Stone Gap was a Black school and Big Stone was a White school

Twin Valley - Garden Green Dragons Green/yellow, Whitewood Indians maroon/white(I think)

Northwood - Saltville Shakers, Rich Valley

Lee High - Keokee Mountaineers(?), Dryden Crusaders(?), Jonesville Bulldogs blue/yellow, Pennington Gap Wildcats(?), Flatwoods

Pocahontas Indians Black/Orange

Edited by redtiger

I was curious about what schools are former consolidations, I know if you go far enough back all high schools were formed from the consolidation of old 1-2 room school houses. Im concerned with the "modern"(I guess that is the right way to put it) schools that were consolidated. I know Powell Valley, Northwood, Lee High, Twin Valley and Carroll County are consolidated schools but are there any others locally. Also what were the mascots and colors of the schools that were closed? Any general info would also be nice, i.e. what sport were they known for, any state titles or anything interesting. Also schools that were just closed i.e. Pocahontas. And please designate between Yellow and Gold(pet peeve of mine) if applicable, thanks

I know some info,

Powell Valley - Big Stone Gap Buccaneers and East Stone Gap Tigers(I think) but I dont know school colors. I think East Stone Gap was a Black school and Big Stone was a White school

Twin Valley - Garden Green Dragons Green/Gold, Whitewood Indians maroon/white(I think)

Northwood - Saltville Shakers, Rich Valley

Lee High - Keokee Mountaineers(?), Dryden Crusaders(?), Jonesville Bulldogs blue/yellow, Pennington Gap Wildcats(?), Flatwoods

Pocahontas Indians Black/Orange

Lee County - you left out St. Charles.

Saltville Shakers were Maroon and Silver, Rich Valley steers were Maroon and Gold.

Northwood is Navy and Silver

I think these are right, someone might want to double check me.

RV girls won state in basketball in the 80's.

Some others are GW Carver, Drewry Mason, Fries, and Independence.

Fries were the Wildcats. Red and white I think.

Independence was the Blue Devils and have the same colors and mascot as the current Grayson County Blue Devils.

Saltville Shakers were Maroon and Silver, Rich Valley steers were Maroon and Gold.

Northwood is Navy and Silver

I think these are right, someone might want to double check me.

RV girls won state in basketball in the 80's.

Some others are GW Carver, Drewry Mason, Fries, and Independence.

Fries were the Wildcats. Red and white I think.

Independence was the Blue Devils and have the same colors and mascot as the current Grayson County Blue Devils.

One small correction: Saltville Shakers were Maroon and Gray...but you were darn close! :)

St. Charles conmined with Pennington in 1970 before the consolidation of Lee came about. I think they were the Midgets at the time. And Pennington was the Bobcats (colors black and gold).

Edited by Beamerball

Thanks and keep it comming

St. Charles closing in the 70s explains why I missed them.

Where were GW Carver and Drewry mason located and what became of them? Closed Consolidated and what schools did they merge with?

Im really into local history and I find the way our current schools developed to be espicially interesting. Schools just mean so much to the local communities and are the face of the community. I know in Dickenson county the town police cars had school colors and mascots on them.

Edited by redtiger

Where were GW Carver and Drewry Mason located and what became of them? Closed or consolidated and what schools did they merge with?

They became Magna Vista in 1988. Laurel Park was consolidated into Magna Vista in 2004.

Henry county is about as far East as I was in terested in. Lets try to keep it no farther East than the Roanoke area.

What about Giles? Was it always Giles?

Edited by redtiger

Dublin and Pulaski. Pulaski was the Orioles I believe. Not sure about Dublin.

What school did they become?

And colors and mascots for GWC and DM? Laurel Park?

Edited by redtiger

Dublin and Pulaski. Pulaski was the Orioles I believe. Not sure about Dublin.

Yep became Pulaski County Cougars. Pulaski is the Orioles (black and orange), or at least their middle school is and I believe Dublin are the Dukes. I know they are light blue and white.

Wiki says Laurel Park Middle school - lancers Powder Blue / Red im assuming that went for the former LPHS as well.

Was Fieldale-Collinsville a consolidated school?

Edited by redtiger

Yes, I remember when Grundy played them.

Since were at it Riverview=Vansant Vikings, Harman Tigers, Big Rock Wild Cats and half of Russell Prater Pirates, J.M Bevins wildcats

And good ole P.V Dennis Eagles and Grundy jr high fell victims to ASL

D.A. Justus in hurley not sure of their mascot

speaking of color changes, Coeburn went w/ light blue one year which I find kinda odd considering they REALLY dislike Powell Valley and thats PV primary color.

Back in the day Haysi used blue/white w/ very little red, now its all red and little blue(none for the football team). Haysi has started using a little black and I absolutely hate it, stick to traditional colors and if the one that is the primary changes so be it.

Hurley made a good choice sticking w/ the Navy/Red/Silver, its sharp

Wiki says F-C middle school Cavalier Purple/Orange

Edited by redtiger

Wallace Middle School (Battle's feeder school) used to be a high school and was an elementary school until either '92 or '94. They were the Wallace Warriors and were maroon and white (now they're the Jr. Trojans and are green/gold/white). They competed with the other two Washington County elementary schools (before rec ball leagues like the WCAA came into effect): High Point Elementary (black and yellow/bumblebees) and Valley Institute Elementary (blue and white/bulldogs). Valley Institute was the high school before they built the current John S. Battle in '59. Also, Battle's original colors were green and white. JSB's first football coach, Levi Otey, added gold in '63. They usually change between gold and yellow (I like the yellow better in some circumstances) and there's been fights for years about adding black to the colors (which I hate). They even tried silver a couple of years, but it didn't work.