High School Rivalry 2011

Tigers_07

Honaker v Lebanon should be pretty good this season

Of course Haysi v Honaker. For me it doesent get any better

Haysi v Clintwood may be closer this year than in the past several but Clintwood will definately be the favorite.

When the new Wise County schools meet on the field it will be interesting. Union and Eastside dont play each other but Central plays both near the end of the season, so any early jitters will be worked out.

Union v GC will be interesting, PV and GC had a good thing going until PV dropped off the past few seasons and Appy was fond of playing GC. This could be the begining of a very strong rivalry!

Edited by redtiger

Richlands vs. Gate City is always good.

I dont know about this year, GC wont be the team they were last year and Richlands will be very good. GC wont lay down but I dont know that it will be as good of a game as usual

I dont know about this year, GC wont be the team they were last year and Richlands will be very good. GC wont lay down but I dont know that it will be as good of a game as usual

I may be mistaken but I thought Gate City returned a lot of seniors this year.

Honaker v Lebanon should be pretty good this season

Of course Haysi v Honaker. For me it doesent get any better

Haysi v Clintwood may be closer this year than in the past several but Clintwood will definately be the favorite.

When the new Wise County schools meet on the field it will be interesting. Union and Eastside dont play each other but Central plays both near the end of the season, so any early jitters will be worked out.

Union v GC will be interesting, PV and GC had a good thing going until PV dropped off the past few seasons and Appy was fond of playing GC. This could be the begining of a very strong rivalry!

Last one...no. They are going to have the same fate that Lee had if they don't straighten up. If parents get involved then its over. and next year they probably won't have a chance. We lost a lot of good seniors sure but you know that we are going to have people to fill in, we are gate city, thats what we do. All those Seniors had to fill in whenver the 08 season was over.

Last one...no. They are going to have the same fate that Lee had if they don't straighten up.

Well, they'll be pretty darn good if its the same as Lee when they consolidated, haha. Lee's fate fell after Williams' retired shortly before the '99 season, were hit hard by graduation that year, and then the coaching carousel took hold and held them down. Harlan County was another that there was quite a bit of hostility over it all and adding to that those rivalries were, ehh, a bit more fierce I guess you could say over in KY with those schools, lol. They're still doing very well right now and have a great following.

Im a little closer to the Eastside consolidation but things seem to be calming down all over Wise Co for the most part. Hopefully they will get off to a good start.

Lee was solid for a long time before the wheels fell off. Hopefully they can get it together

Going to Union @ Lee High.... should be interesting with Appalachia now in the mix too. Am interested in seeing what becomes of the rivalry since PV is no more. Last year could have been the final for the "Battle of the Boot", if so maybe they'll start up a new series.

Edited by Beamerball

I don't know how much of a rivalry Gate City & the blues are, but I really love that game. Good football, hard hitting, a big crowd, and a lot of respect between the 2 !

I also still love the Blues vs Tazewell. It has lost a little of it's luster over the last few years, but I believe the new coach at Tazewell will turn them around, and they do have a lot of kids returning this year. There is also still no love lost between the 2 schools and towns !

Don't know if many would call it a rivalry yet, but Richlands vs Abingdon the past few years has been heating up. And I think this message board is the can of fuel that started the fire :)

Don't know if many would call it a rivalry yet, but Richlands vs Abingdon the past few years has been heating up. And I think this message board is the can of fuel that started the fire :)

It's not a rivalry if one side annually butchers the other. Rivalry implies that the two schools are actually competitive with one another. Abingdon's last win was back during the Clinton administration, wasn't it?

It's not a rivalry if one side annually butchers the other. Rivalry implies that the two schools are actually competitive with one another. Abingdon's last win was back during the Clinton administration, wasn't it?

I don't know about that. Richlands/Tazewell is a rivalry, that has been one sided for quite some time.

Marion @ Chilhowie, opening weekend. Went to Marion through 9th grade, graduated from Chilhowie. My son plays for Marion, wow.

This is one of the best examples of a tight rivalry in our area. Look at the scores for the last 10 years. (I'm pullin these off vhsl-ref)

1999 Chilhowie 12, Marion 7

2000 Marion 6, Chilhowie 0

2001 Marion 20, Chilhowie 16

2002 Marion 28, Chilhowie 6

2003 Marion 28, Chilhowie 7

2004 Chilhowie 21, Marion 20

2005 Chilhowie 34, Marion 21

2006 Marion 31, Chilhowie 20

2007 Chilhowie 21, Marion 13

2008 Chilhowie 21, Marion 14

2009 Marion 10, Chilhowie 7

2010 Chilhowie 14, Marion 0

So Bluefield vs Graham isn't a rivalry?

So Bluefield vs Graham isn't a rivalry?

Careful, Bluefield only leads the series 7-5 since 2000...even though they've outscored Graham 96-7 over the last two seasons...

Careful, Bluefield only leads the series 7-5 since 2000...even though they've outscored Graham 96-7 over the last two seasons...

Just because scores can be one sided doesnt mean that you still don't hate the other team with a passion. That's what a rivalry is all about

Try the Reagan administration - I believe it was 1988 the last time Abingdon beat Richlands (Don't kill me if I am wrong) I know according to VHSL-REF that they are 8-0 the last 8 times played