Best/Worst places to travel to?

Ditto

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Radford. Bobcat stadium is huge for a single A team. Of course they use to be AA.

I think AA Patrick Co. is pretty bad. Stand on the top row of the visitors bleachers and you may be able to see over the players helments......maybe. They are AA and I guess I just expect more out of a bigger school.

Tunstall has a gorgeous field, at least they did when I was there in 2008.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Radford. Bobcat stadium is huge for a single A team. Of course they use to be AA.

I think AA Patrick Co. is pretty bad. Stand on the top row of the visitors bleachers and you may be able to see over the players helments......maybe. They are AA and I guess I just expect more out of a bigger school.

Yeah Radford's is nice. Similar in my mind to Abingdon's or Patrick Henry's.

What do you think needs upgraded with concessions at Richlands? I am a member of the Lion's Club that runs the concessions, and worked there last year for the first time. Give me some suggestions and I will pass them along and see if we can make them better. I know the location is inconvenient for visitors, but what else would you like to see different?

Location and traffic...buried up under the stands with traffic heading to restrooms...not to mention all the people who just stand around under there and talk. Move it out from under the stands and that would be a major improvement...

Radford does have a nice stadium...been a few years since I've been their but ample seating for visitors and nice, large, convenient concession stand.

I've only been to Patrick Co. once but I didn't think it was all that bad...much better than several being mentioned here.

Location and traffic...buried up under the stands with traffic heading to restrooms...not to mention all the people who just stand around under there and talk. Move it out from under the stands and that would be a major improvement...

Ok, I kinda figured that would be the main complaint. That one is out of our hands. I too wish they would move it out to a more centralized location...it would help our business as well.

Hey Redtiger, where is that 4 lane in Dickenson county? I think it's safe to say that the road from Greenbriar to Sandlick isn't that damn good.:D

I didnt know this was a discussion on county infrastructure! lol That strech of 83 is pretty bad. Not alot of ups and downs but very curvy. In HS we did our student driving thru there.

There really isint a great way to get to Haysi, Coalfields Expressway when will you come!!!

Edited by redtiger

Ok, I kinda figured that would be the main complaint. That one is out of our hands. I too wish they would move it out to a more centralized location...it would help our business as well.

That's pretty much it. The food is good, it would help if security would move the kids away from the area. Between the traffic for the restrooms and the kids hanging around it takes to long to get in & out. I know the kids need a place to hang, but maybe not in that area.

I know it's not the lions club fault, I know a lot of the members and they are hard workers.

Oh, and maybe add some chile cheese fries like Honaker has.....lol

I've always enjoyed watching games at Princeton. They have a very nice stadium. Good bathrooms, concessions, field, & bleachers.

true but parking is not great unlike mitchell stadium has great field concessions seating bathrooms are not that bad and parking is good only down side is getting out the police do not do a great job of traffic control but that is to be expected.

true but parking is not great unlike mitchell stadium has great field concessions seating bathrooms are not that bad and parking is good only down side is getting out the police do not do a great job of traffic control but that is to be expected.

I have to say that is my biggest complaint on Mitchell stadium. It can take forever to get out of there. Most other places I can usually get out of pretty quick but for me they are the worst. Otherwise everything else there is nice.

I have to say that is my biggest complaint on Mitchell stadium. It can take forever to get out of there. Most other places I can usually get out of pretty quick but for me they are the worst. Otherwise everything else there is nice.

that is the fault of the police they cannot direct themselves out of a paper bag at games.

depends on when the last time you went to patrick county. they put in new visitors' bleachers last year. there's still not room enough for more than 200 people or so, but at least now you can actually see the field without having to sit on the top row.

I love going to Mitchell Stadium, great place to see a game but comparing it to high school stadiums seems unfair to me. (more seating, bigger parking lot) It was built for college games if I'm not mistaken. Now Salem stadium is also a great place but is also unfair in my opinion as it is city owned and maintained because it is used for other events.

No offense but as a Pulaski Co. Cougar fan I do admit to hate Bluefield and Salem LOL!!! .... so the place to be is the cougar's den in Dublin ...

I love going to Mitchell Stadium, great place to see a game but comparing it to high school stadiums seems unfair to me. (more seating, bigger parking lot) It was built for college games if I'm not mistaken. Now Salem stadium is also a great place but is also unfair in my opinion as it is city owned and maintained because it is used for other events.

Mitchell Stadium is city owned just like Salem Stadium...always has been and was never purposely built to be used for college games...although several have been played there...Bluefield and Graham have made it home for many years...

Mitchell Stadium is city owned just like Salem Stadium...always has been and was never purposely built to be used for college games...although several have been played there...Bluefield and Graham have made it home for many years...

and if i am not mistaken many years ago wvu and va tech played games at mitchell stadium. against each other

Edited by ghs73

Thank for the 411 GMan.... Just going by what I was told (was built for B-field college) and i've been to many Bluefield/Graham as well as B/ Pc games and knew both call it home. Still I can not see how one can compare unless it was it built and maintained just for and by high schools,.. not the city! Again nothing againest Mitchell or Salem, Just not the same to me as on school campus stadiums!

Thank for the 411 GMan.... Just going by what I was told (was built for B-field college) and i've been to many Bluefield/Graham as well as B/ Pc games and knew both call it home. Still I can not see how one can compare unless it was it built and maintained just for and by high schools,.. not the city! Again nothing againest Mitchell or Salem, Just not the same to me as on school campus stadiums!

but why does a stadium have to be on school grounds to be compared to other stadiums. mitchell stadium has been for high school and middle school and little league for many many years now. way back when blfd state stopped playing football it became for highschool football. so in your decision you cannot compare mountviews stadium to other highschools because the field is not on mt. views campus it is on the other side of town.here in staunton lee high schools field is on the other side of town in the city park and is maintained by city. so again cannot compare it to other highschool fields. with your reasoning there could be many highschool fields that would and could be left out in this discussion.my opinion is compare the fields all of them. as for mitchell stadium i would think that many highschool fields get as much or more funding from the school boards to maintain them. rhs got funding i think from a coal company so does that leave them out of the mix also. just because a field is on school grounds does not change things.

Now come on Bigrhsfan, you know that you and I are good no matter your opinion of CCHS! Funny you mention the lighting, as new stadium lights were installed last month and are a MAJOR improvement. The old staduim lighting was horrible! Ditto for visitor bleachers, as new metal bleachers have also been installed.

I expected some "stuff" from Lance and he didn't disappoint! At least CCHS didn't show up until the second page and I wouldn't give anybody grief over their opinion. It's all good and it was nice to see some clarification on the tired "stuff" about refs. It will never be put to bed, but the redneck comment is WAY out of line. Again, I invite you to Carroll County anytime to see a side of it that doesn't match your experiences at a ballgame. The book may be judged by the cover; just don't use a football stadium as the cover. Most all Carroll fans are on the Carroll side, so perhaps the misfits were from my hometown in West Virginia. How's that for a nice negative profile?

As for my opinion, I still have PTSD concerning Mitchell Stadium from the beatings Bluefield gave me back in the day when I suited up for Greenbrier East! Ditto for the beatdowns Graham gave CCHS over there. However, it is a wonderful old venue that looks better than it did back in the 70's and early 80's. Princeton has an awesome stadium, as does George Wythe, Richlands, and Radford. I tought Floyd County and Rural Retreat were a little rough.

Now come on Bigrhsfan, you know that you and I are good no matter your opinion of CCHS! Funny you mention the lighting, as new stadium lights were installed last month and are a MAJOR improvement. The old staduim lighting was horrible! Ditto for visitor bleachers, as new metal bleachers have also been installed.

I expected some "stuff" from Lance and he didn't disappoint! At least CCHS didn't show up until the second page and I wouldn't give anybody grief over their opinion. It's all good and it was nice to see some clarification on the tired "stuff" about refs. It will never be put to bed, but the redneck comment is WAY out of line. Again, I invite you to Carroll County anytime to see a side of it that doesn't match your experiences at a ballgame. The book may be judged by the cover; just don't use a football stadium as the cover. Most all Carroll fans are on the Carroll side, so perhaps the misfits were from my hometown in West Virginia. How's that for a nice negative profile?

As for my opinion, I still have PTSD concerning Mitchell Stadium from the beatings Bluefield gave me back in the day when I suited up for Greenbrier East! Ditto for the beatdowns Graham gave CCHS over there. However, it is a wonderful old venue that looks better than it did back in the 70's and early 80's. Princeton has an awesome stadium, as does George Wythe, Richlands, and Radford. I tought Floyd County and Rural Retreat were a little rough.

hey i did add on to my original comment in a later post...and there are rednecks everywhere...i think we have established that...and the ref situation has been taken care of...so...pretty much the ride and rednecks are all thats left to complain about lol...and, not everyone in CC is a redneck...not saying that...but, they do show up at the games on the visitors side.

A lot of good people down in CC as well.

hey i did add on to my original comment in a later post...and there are rednecks everywhere...i think we have established that...and the ref situation has been taken care of...so...pretty much the ride and rednecks are all thats left to complain about lol...and, not everyone in CC is a redneck...not saying that...but, they do show up at the games on the visitors side.

A lot of good people down in CC as well.

As you said I think we can say that of most anywhere, however some places seem to be worse than others. From my experience Gate City is the worst in that department. Richlands has it too but when you are big rivals its to be expected.

As you said I think we can say that of most anywhere, however some places seem to be worse than others. From my experience Gate City is the worst in that department. Richlands has it too but when you are big rivals its to be expected.

grundy and cc are not the biggest of rivals though...lol.

but why does a stadium have to be on school grounds to be compared to other stadiums. mitchell stadium has been for high school and middle school and little league for many many years now. way back when blfd state stopped playing football it became for highschool football. so in your decision you cannot compare mountviews stadium to other highschools because the field is not on mt. views campus it is on the other side of town.here in staunton lee high schools field is on the other side of town in the city park and is maintained by city. so again cannot compare it to other highschool fields. with your reasoning there could be many highschool fields that would and could be left out in this discussion.my opinion is compare the fields all of them. as for mitchell stadium i would think that many highschool fields get as much or more funding from the school boards to maintain them. rhs got funding i think from a coal company so does that leave them out of the mix also. just because a field is on school grounds does not change things.

Ok maybe "on campus" was the wrong words so I can live with school stadiums off school grounds but to make my point.... I'll use Salem. The school did not have the funds to build the stadium they have so in comes the city and it was built, great for the school, city also uses the grounds for other events, some are on TV so the grounds are always in top shape with fresh paint and all, again great for Salem high school but how can anyone compare their stadium with a school that has to use their own funds to keep-up? How many schools can maintain their stadiums in that condition year after year? No it's not Salems falt before you ask!

Now as for Mitchell....yes Bluefield and Graham has called it home for years but was it built for them or bluefield state? In my opinion (just like you have yours) a stadium built to hold college games is a college stadium! If VT was to stop their football program and B-burg was to start play in Lane Stadium it would not make it a high school stadium....Sorry, just be proud you get to play there!