VHSL redistricting proposal

trublue

I haven't read this to close but to add to what I had earlier stated, is there really any need to have districts. Why not set up large sections with small schools at 425 below and larger schools 426 up to 600's. Require those schools to play at least 7-8 sectional games and then give room for say a Graham to play Bluefield and Princeton if they like. Or if they wanted play only schools in that section if a school wants to.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read this to close but to add to what I had earlier stated, is there really any need to have districts. Why not set up large sections with small schools at 425 below and larger schools 426 up to 600's. Require those schools to play at least 7-8 sectional games and then give room for say a Graham to play Bluefield and Princeton if they like. Or if they wanted play only schools in that section if a school wants to.

That would work.

For example split the A-West into 2 sections. The schedules could be set up on a rotating basis? Every other season change the schedule. In a 6-8 year period every school in a section would have played each other.

I dont know if that woud fly but I could support it!

Edited by redtiger

PH is in the MED simply because they are quite a bit larger than Holston, Chilhowie, Northwood, etc. I counted them as a BIG.

If the LPD is disbanded then where do Union and Central go? Does the CMD stay together and the SWD basically remain as is?

Im personally not in favor of any district over 9 teams. Up to 11 could work but I would think the schools would like to have some flexability in who they play instead of having all 10 game set every year, maybe im wrong.

Ok, I see now, but Chilhowie has a bigger enrollment than PH (both are in the 400's, but PH is at the lower end and Chilhowie is at the upper end).

Ok, I see now, but Chilhowie has a bigger enrollment than PH (both are in the 400's, but PH is at the lower end and Chilhowie is at the upper end).

When I drew this setup up I was using old numbers, which had PH @ around 475 and Chilhowie just over 400(I assumed enrollments hadnt changed that much). So go ahead and put PH in the Hogo and Chilhowie in the MED.

Edited by redtiger

When I drew this setup up I was using old numbers, which had PH @ around 475 and Chilhowie just over 400(I assumed enrollments hadnt changed that much). So go ahead and put PH in the Hogo and Chilhowie in the MED.

The VHSL throws enrollment numbers around so much, it's hard to keep track, and then you have all the other websites and such throwing around projected numbers. Maybe this is why no one can settle on a cutoff number for divisions/groups, lol.

Union and Wise should be in the CMD with schools their own size. Union already schedules the majority of CMD schools. Wise County does not have the money for a third high school- voters will not tolerate a tax increase. The COE funding Dickenson is counting on still has to be part of the appropriations process- there is little chance- given the tight budgets- that any appropriations will ever be made close to $110 million. Indeed, given the scrutiny some earmarks are receiving they may get next to nothing. They may get a max of $25-$30 million- but not enough for athletic facilities, a golf course, roads, or three or four buildings.

Have you guys noticed that the wording on some of these news clips and meeting minutes has changed from "GOING to happen" and "NEEDS to happen" to "IF it happens"?

There seems to be more comments about slowing this process down as the realities of the hurdles become more apparent.

An AD that is very involved in the whole R+R situation told me that he went from thinking there was a 99.9% probability it would happen next year to now thinking it is 50-50 that it will be pushed back.

Union and Wise should be in the CMD with schools their own size. Union already schedules the majority of CMD schools. Wise County does not have the money for a third high school- voters will not tolerate a tax increase. The COE funding Dickenson is counting on still has to be part of the appropriations process- there is little chance- given the tight budgets- that any appropriations will ever be made close to $110 million. Indeed, given the scrutiny some earmarks are receiving they may get next to nothing. They may get a max of $25-$30 million- but not enough for athletic facilities, a golf course, roads, or three or four buildings.

The current version of the LPD was never meant to be sustained, it was only set up this way to keep Union and Central from moving to the CMD then reforming the LPD after DC consolidates. So lets say the LPD is dissolved and Union and Central join the CMD(and im not saying that is a bad idea), what does Lebanon do? Join the SWD(geographically a good fit) or stay in the CMD?

Theres no golf course, only minor road work needed and only 2 buildings in the plan. A main building for the HS/MS and majority of the Vocational classes w/ the "shop" classes(auto body, welding, etc) housed in a seperate building. The initial plans provided to the public were overblown at best and a simpler more logical setup is likley and expected.

I think 8 is optimal but at some point travel becomes a factor. 6 team districts arent too bad but any smaller is almost pointless.

I keep hearing that GC will not rejoin the LPD, why?

If the LPD is disbanded then where do Union, Central and Ridgeview go?

Union and Central to the CMD and Ridgeview to the SWD? That trip from Bluefield to DC is killer.

GC and the powers that be in the LPD dont mix well. When the CMD was formed GC jumped at the chance.

Thanks for the info, I was never given a clear reason for why GC wouldnt rejoin the LPD. I can see that, GC would have been an outsider(being not a Wise Co school) in the LPD.

Regardless of what district it is or what the district is called I cant imaging a scenario where Union, Central, Lee and GC werent in the same district. Ridgeview could end up in either the SWD or with the WC schools, imo probably w/ the WC schools simply because of proximity.

Have you guys noticed that the wording on some of these news clips and meeting minutes has changed from "GOING to happen" and "NEEDS to happen" to "IF it happens"?

There seems to be more comments about slowing this process down as the realities of the hurdles become more apparent.

An AD that is very involved in the whole R+R situation told me that he went from thinking there was a 99.9% probability it would happen next year to now thinking it is 50-50 that it will be pushed back.

I wouldnt be suprised if a solid plan isint put together over the next couple of years before this actually happens.

Latest news from Wise/Norton is IF the districts are combined then JIBurton stays open. That was proposed by the WC Superintendent, so it looks like JIB will stay open. Good call swvacsas2.

An 8 team CMD would be nice but would Lebanon stay in the CMD or bolt for the SWD?

Edited by redtiger

Thanks for the info, I was never given a clear reason for why GC wouldnt rejoin the LPD. I can see that, GC would have been an outsider(being not a Wise Co school) in the LPD.

Regardless of what district it is or what the district is called I cant imaging a scenario where Union, Central, Lee and GC werent in the same district. Ridgeview could end up in either the SWD or with the WC schools, imo probably w/ the WC schools simply because of proximity.

I could see Lee going but not GC. That is unless they are forced to and that can happen. I dont see all double a districts either. I can even see the CD disolving and dispersed in the BDD, LPD, and CMD. Cant wait to see it all when its finished.

If the CD is dissolved and split up thats bad news for the former CD schools, no way they can compete against that kind of competition. JI Burton staying open probably means at some point they will join the Cumberland and Eastside will stay in the Cumberland. That pretty much guarantees that the Cumberland stays together.

Alot of change is comming but I for one am excited!

Latest news from Wise/Norton is IF the districts are combined then JIBurton stays open. That was proposed by the WC Superintendent, so it looks like JIB will stay open. Good call swvacsas2.

An 8 team CMD would be nice but would Lebanon stay in the CMD or bolt for the SWD?

Maybe I'm missing something, but my latest understanding is that the SWD is dissolving and that the remaining members (Abingdon, Richlands, and Tazewell) are actually planning to join the CMD.

If I'm correct in that understanding, am I to understand that Lebanon might not be interested in the newly configured CMD and may decide to pursue membership in another district? (Keeping in mind that it won't be the SWD, because that league will cease to exist.)

Just trying to get my own head straight here....

Maybe I'm missing something, but my latest understanding is that the SWD is dissolving and that the remaining members (Abingdon, Richlands, and Tazewell) are actually planning to join the CMD.

If I'm correct in that understanding, am I to understand that Lebanon might not be interested in the newly configured CMD and may decide to pursue membership in another district? (Keeping in mind that it won't be the SWD, because that league will cease to exist.)

Just trying to get my own head straight here....

Well, it looks like you're right ! It's going to be interesting to see what happens now. To see if anyone else joins or leaves.

I wonder why they turned down Marion on their request to join the Hogoheegee District ?

So the SWD is gone and the CMD will be made up of Gate City, Lee, VHS, JB, Lebanon, Abingdon, Marion, Tazwell, Richlands. Just my opinion but it would be more feesable for Lee to come to the LPD. Shit travel time is why Lee wanted to be Single A in the first place. Also it would seem better for Gatecity just cause I like em and the CMD dont need more competition than the LPD haha

Well, it looks like you're right ! It's going to be interesting to see what happens now. To see if anyone else joins or leaves.

I wonder why they turned down Marion on their request to join the Hogoheegee District ?

Marion was turned down because the Hogo membership took a decisive vote (4-2, I believe) stating that they didn't want them. I guess those schools will have plenty of options for non-district foes to replace Marion on their schedules in the future.

Echoing Lance's post elsewhere, I am very saddened by the demise of the SWD brand. But I am excited about the quality of the CMD as its direct descendant.

How does this affect wrasslin'?

i guess grundy will continue to do its wrasslin' in the cmd.

this is stupid, they should have just put the teams that belong in the swd in the swd and put the others in the LPD or whatever...on this end of the state you should have 4 (or so) main districts...LPD, HOGO, SWD, and BDD...you could pretty much fit everyone in there someplace...you could create a couple of smaller districts if needed to fix any major issues from there.

Marion was turned down because the Hogo membership took a decisive vote (4-2, I believe) stating that they didn't want them. I guess those schools will have plenty of options for non-district foes to replace Marion on their schedules in the future.

Echoing Lance's post elsewhere, I am very saddened by the demise of the SWD brand. But I am excited about the quality of the CMD as its direct descendant.

The new CMD would have most of the old SWD in terms of membership.

I may be in the minority on this one, and I know I keep harping on it, but I badly want Graham to be in that mix. Nothing against the MED, but those schools are our traditional rivals, and travel time is much better than some of the projections that would have us going to places like Floyd County.

Just my opinion but it would be more feesable for Lee to come to the LPD. Shit travel time is why Lee wanted to be Single A in the first place.

If Lee doesn't petition to move to the LPD now, it proves that lawsuit they threatened to file back when the Highlands and SWD merged had nothing to do with travel and everything to do with just dropping to Single A. Sure, they won't have to go to Graham or Grundy but they'll still be faced with trips to Marion and Tazewell.

I agree it makes more sense for Lee and Gate City to be in the LPD now, if for no other reason than to give that league more than four members, though GC fits well in either one.

Why would Lebanon want to move out of the CMD? They're pretty much central to all the other members now.