The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

1 game doesn't worry me. Yesterday was the lowest scoring day with at least 7 games played since 87 I think I read. Losing 1-0 to Santana isn't a terrible thing. He looked good til the 5th, but got through that and the BP got it done.

i know...first game...only one game...blah blah blah...bottom line is we need more offense to be a legit contender and they once again have failed to bring anyone in, and with Chipper out it doesn't help matters.

There really wasn't anyone they could bring in with their budget. They tried to work trades with a few teams but everyone wanted those young pitchers. The Orioles price for Adam Jones was Jurrjens, Prado, and two of two of the big three stud pitching prospects. I wouldn't trade that package for Babe Ruth let alone Adam Jones.

I think when it's all said and done the Braves will be in the thick of it but it's not their year to win it all unless something really special happens. Best thing to do if you're a Braves fan is be patient and let them build from within. They no longer have the budget to bring in a Greg Maddux, Fred McGriff, etc. They are a mid-market team and have to depend on scouting and drafting. Not free-agency and blockbuster trades. But don't worry, The Braves are very close, and I'm my opinion will contend for the NL East, and the farm system is loaded.

As for offense... It's been declining league wide for several years. It's a pitchers game now. As 1nStripes said, lowest scoring day since 1987. The steroid era is over and sitting back and waiting for a 3-run homer will get you beat. It's time to get back to 80's style baseball (which I love) and play some small ball. It's a very exciting time in my opinion as I hated the home run explosion of the 90's and 00's. I couldn't be happier to see a 1-0 opening day shutout. Even if the Braves were on the wrong end of it.

Meanwhile Votto is a Red until 2050 or so...

Actually 2024 I think, but that's good for them. If he were to go to free agency the Reds would never be able to compete for him, so they lock him up long term and ensure he will play his entire career with the Reds. That is a lot of money for a small market team to spend on one player, but down the road, with inflation being what it is, it will be considered a bargain. Doesn't have anything to do with the Braves though. They have their own rising stars who will be looking for big contracts in the near future.

I know you, and several others, want to see the Braves sign a big free agent, or make a big trade, but it's not going to happen. The Braves are right where they want to be and are headed in the direction they want to go. They don't need to sell the future. They have enough young talent, in the minors and at the major league level, for anyone who pays attention to see that there is another dynasty coming.

Actually 2024 I think, but that's good for them. If he were to go to free agency the Reds would never be able to compete for him, so they lock him up long term and ensure he will play his entire career with the Reds. That is a lot of money for a small market team to spend on one player, but down the road, with inflation being what it is, it will be considered a bargain. Doesn't have anything to do with the Braves though. They have their own rising stars who will be looking for big contracts in the near future.

I know you, and several others, want to see the Braves sign a big free agent, or make a big trade, but it's not going to happen. The Braves are right where they want to be and are headed in the direction they want to go. They don't need to sell the future. They have enough young talent, in the minors and at the major league level, for anyone who pays attention to see that there is another dynasty coming.

Anyone who has followed the Braves over the years knows that pitching will get you to the playoffs, but offense wins you a World Series...we still have no offense.

I guess it's all about what you are happy with...if that is just making the playoffs more often than not, then we are done here....if it's actually winning a World Series...not going to happen, now or in the future, unless you can score some runs.

The Yankees and Phillies both have found a way to balance the budget and have good power and good pitching...I know they spend spend spend...but they also win win win...it comes down to what you want to put on the field, and as a Braves fan, it's frustrating every year to see an inferior product offered up for our consumption...and I constantly feel like we are honestly 1 player or two at most, away from being in control of the NL East...you don't have to give away the farm to get them, you just have to spend the money...and so far, they have not been willing to do so.

Hell...they could have brought Barry Bonds back cheap a couple of years ago if they wanted to...I know he's been blacklisted, but he was wanting to play...it's a line i would have crossed to win it all.

And...yes the roid era is over, but you still have to get people on base and move them around and score some runs...you don't have to have a 40+ HR kinda guy to do it, but you do have to have a good contact hitter with some power...which the teams that are legit contenders to win it all have, and we don't....and don't even say Uggla.

Anyone who has followed the Braves over the years knows that pitching will get you to the playoffs, but offense wins you a World Series...we still have no offense.

I guess it's all about what you are happy with...if that is just making the playoffs more often than not, then we are done here....if it's actually winning a World Series...not going to happen, now or in the future, unless you can score some runs.

The Yankees and Phillies both have found a way to balance the budget and have good power and good pitching...I know they spend spend spend...but they also win win win...it comes down to what you want to put on the field, and as a Braves fan, it's frustrating every year to see an inferior product offered up for our consumption...and I constantly feel like we are honestly 1 player or two at most, away from being in control of the NL East...you don't have to give away the farm to get them, you just have to spend the money...and so far, they have not been willing to do so.

Hell...they could have brought Barry Bonds back cheap a couple of years ago if they wanted to...I know he's been blacklisted, but he was wanting to play...it's a line i would have crossed to win it all.

And...yes the roid era is over, but you still have to get people on base and move them around and score some runs...you don't have to have a 40+ HR kinda guy to do it, but you do have to have a good contact hitter with some power...which the teams that are legit contenders to win it all have, and we don't....and don't even say Uggla.

With the exception of the first half of the season, Uggla's production was the same, or actually even better, as it's been his entire career. He had a great spring and there is no reason to think he won't pick up where he left off last year. He's not a contact hitter though. .260 is a good year for him.

They have one of the best offensive catcher's in the game. They have a young first baseman who I think will have a monster year. They have a young right fielder who I also think will have a monster year. And they have the best leadoff hitter in baseball. Nothing wrong with the offense.

The Yankees ($198,000,000) and the Phillies ($175,000,000) were #1 and #2 in payroll last year while the Braves ($83,000,000) were #16. The Braves are owned by Liberty Media. They set the payroll each year and do not allow the team to go over that amount.

yep...only thing wrong with the offense is that they don't score runs lol....sounds sarcastic, but they don't get as many across the plate as they should. I still think they should spend the money to bring in a legit 3 or 4 hitter...just my opinion...again, Uggla is not it for me.

yep...only thing wrong with the offense is that they don't score runs lol....sounds sarcastic, but they don't get as many across the plate as they should. I still think they should spend the money to bring in a legit 3 or 4 hitter...just my opinion...again, Uggla is not it for me.

I think last year they had a problem getting people on base, which is why they got Bourn. And again, they had some slumps (Uggla, Heyward) and injuries (Jones, Prado, McCann) that hopefully won't repeat themselves this year. I think McCann and Uggla are legit 4 and 5 type hitters. And I think the legit #3 will come from either Freeman or Heyward. I don't think everyone realizes the potential those two have.

Side note:

Saturday's game has this match up.

Starting Pitchers

Atlanta: Jurrjens (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

New York: Dickey (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

If the Braves win, the headline in the AJC might just be "Jurrjens beats Dickey"...3rd grade, but funny.

Another impressive showing for the Atlanta offense through five innings.

and another loss 4-2

would have been nice to have Johnny Damon around to pinch hit there with 2 on in the 9th instead of Diaz...perfect situation as to why they should have picked him up and it's only the 2nd game. Maybe he doesn't win it for you, but I'd take the chances on an experienced hitter like him any day over Diaz.

and another loss 4-2

would have been nice to have Johnny Damon around to pinch hit there with 2 on in the 9th instead of Diaz...perfect situation as to why they should have picked him up and it's only the 2nd game. Maybe he doesn't win it for you, but I'd take the chances on an experienced hitter like him any day over Diaz.

I didn't like Diaz in that situation either. He kills LH's but he's not as good against RH's. I saw a post somewhere saying they should of used David Ross. Fredi Gonzalez doesn't like to use his back-up catcher as a pinch hitter (because then he's down to only one catcher) but I say if it's the 9th inning and the tying run is on base then you use whoever gives you the best chance to score.

Damon, again, he doesn't want to be a pinch hitter in Atlanta. If he were willing to accept that kind of role then the Braves might have tried to sign him. But he's not willing. He wants a minimum of 450 PA's, which for him means the AL so he can DH. He's played a combined 52 games in the OF over the last two years. He's not able to play defense every day at this stage of his career. Further, he's a LH hitter and the Braves already have a LH heavy lineup. They need (and they have stated this) a RH hitter who can play LF.

I didn't like Diaz in that situation either. He kills LH's but he's not as good against RH's. I saw a post somewhere saying they should of used David Ross. Fredi Gonzalez doesn't like to use his back-up catcher as a pinch hitter (because then he's down to only one catcher) but I say if it's the 9th inning and the tying run is on base then you use whoever gives you the best chance to score.

Damon, again, he doesn't want to be a pinch hitter in Atlanta. If he were willing to accept that kind of role then the Braves might have tried to sign him. But he's not willing. He wants a minimum of 450 PA's, which for him means the AL so he can DH. He's played a combined 52 games in the OF over the last two years. He's not able to play defense every day at this stage of his career. Further, he's a LH hitter and the Braves already have a LH heavy lineup. They need (and they have stated this) a RH hitter who can play LF.

With Chipper out for a while, they could have part timed Damon and got him that many PA's or close to it. He would have been good off the bench, check his career stats vs. lefty and righty...the guy is a good hitter. He also said he would sign for $1M with a club thats a contender....so, maybe that's why he is not a Brave.

Either way, I'm sure the Braves will get it together and get hot soon...but its a rough start so far.

He would be great off the bench. And that's probably what he's best suited for at this point (and the reason he hasn't signed). He hit only hit .261 last year so he's not what he used to be.

Speaking of the DH. What's everyone's opinion of it? Interleague play will be an everyday thing next year which means baseball will have to make a decision to either a) keep it the way it is by using it in AL parks only, b) Use it full time in both leagues, or c) scrap it and let the pitcher bat in both leagues. I favor C but I think B will win out and I believe it will happen as soon as next season. The union will fight hard if they try to abolish it, and the managers won't be happy with more games that they have to use the current system, so I think Selig (who also favors C) will spring B on us sometime before the end of this year so they can get it in for 2013.

He would be great off the bench. And that's probably what he's best suited for at this point (and the reason he hasn't signed). He hit only hit .261 last year so he's not what he used to be.

Speaking of the DH. What's everyone's opinion of it? Interleague play will be an everyday thing next year which means baseball will have to make a decision to either a) keep it the way it is by using it in AL parks only, b) Use it full time in both leagues, or c) scrap it and let the pitcher bat in both leagues. I favor C but I think B will win out and I believe it will happen as soon as next season. The union will fight hard if they try to abolish it, and the managers won't be happy with more games that they have to use the current system, so I think Selig (who also favors C) will spring B on us sometime before the end of this year so they can get it in for 2013.

I also prefer C, but B would be my second choice. I don't like just using it in American League parks.

I think DH will be full time in both leagues, as teams invest more and more in pitchers, the owners will favor removing the risk of them running bases and batting...plus they will see it as a way to keep older players around longer who can still hit but can't play the field as well...plus more offense generated is a fan friendly thing.

I don't like the DH myself, wish they would just do away with it, but the owners pretty much run the show anymore and Bud is not afraid to change up anything.

Wow, the Braves offense gets more impressive by the day; one-hit through six innings.

It would've been alright if it was by a elite team with a good pitcher but you know your team sucks when you get no hit into the 6th by the New York Mets....