The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

I may be the lone Cardinals fan on the forum...Well anyways, let's go CARDINALS! :D

What relationship do you have with the city of St. Louis or the Cardinals organization that influences you in such a way? I ask, because I see a Dallas Cowboys logo in your signature, and Dallas is over 1000 miles from SWVA. I'm assuming the best, and am assuming that you have friends or relatives in those organizations, or that you have a close relationship to those cities, which would be a fair thing to influence cheering interests.

What relationship do you have with the city of St. Louis or the Cardinals organization that influences you in such a way? I ask, because I see a Dallas Cowboys logo in your signature, and Dallas is over 1000 miles from SWVA. I'm assuming the best, and am assuming that you have friends or relatives in those organizations, or that you have a close relationship to those cities, which would be a fair thing to influence cheering interests.

Ha, since all of us have such close ties to Atlanta... Most people here root for the Braves because they were on TBS for so long. It was all anyone had to watch.

When it comes to professional sports, I think swva gets a bye on fandom rules. There's little to no connection to any city.

Ha, since all of us have such close ties to Atlanta... Most people here root for the Braves because they were on TBS for so long. It was all anyone had to watch.

When it comes to professional sports, I think swva gets a bye on fandom rules. There's little to no connection to any city.

There's a difference in "little connection" and "not even close to the same geographical region". St. Louis is 611 miles from Bluefield, WV. The following teams are closer, and I thank Google Maps:

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Indians

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Nationals

Atlanta Braves

Philadelphia Phillies

Detroit Tigers

New York Yankees

New York Mets

And the driving times/distances are virtual equivalents to:

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Cubs

12/30. That's 40% of Major League Baseball that is as close or closer.

I know this subject's been beaten into the ground, but it's playoff time now, and this is all the smack I need. ;)

There's a difference in "little connection" and "not even close to the same geographical region". St. Louis is 611 miles from Bluefield, WV. The following teams are closer, and I thank Google Maps:

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Indians

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Nationals

Atlanta Braves

Philadelphia Phillies

Detroit Tigers

New York Yankees

New York Mets

And the driving times/distances are virtual equivalents to:

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Cubs

12/30. That's 40% of Major League Baseball that is as close or closer.

I know this subject's been beaten into the ground, but it's playoff time now, and this is all the smack I need. ;)

Right. Because there are such strong geographical similarities between Bluefield, WV and Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc.

If we're arguing geographical similarities, the only defensible team SWVA could root for is Pittsburgh, and maybe Cincinnati, even though that's a stretch. And no one wants to do that.

I kind of like it. McCann hasn't shown any signs of coming out of his nearly season long slump. Ross is not a bad backup catcher, at all.

I sort of like it too.

Does McCann bring a better bat to the table? Yes, and a definite yes since it would be a nice lefty vs. righty matchup against Lohse. But is Ross better defensively and does he have a better arm? Yep.

In a one game, winner take all matchup, I think you take all the defense you can get. You put your ace on the mound behind your best defense and hope that your offense can somehow manufacture 2-3 runs.

I have no relationship with the city of St. Louis, nor the Cardinals organization. UVAObserver, I have the highest level of respect for you and strongly believe you are the most intelligent person on this forum... BUT....your affiliation views on what team a person cheers for is....well.....shit(no offense, seriously).........We've had a thread about this topic before so i'm not going to go in detail about my opinion....But since we have so many Carolina Panther fans on this forum LOL

I played baseball all my life, and grew up a cardinals fan due to Mark McGuire (yeah steroids I know, blah blah)

My family has a strong football background and I don't know why I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan. I guess growing up during the Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith Era, who knows....All I know is i'm not a bandwagon fan and i'll never question the teams I pull for. You don't have to live near, be affiliated, or know someone affiliated with a team to pull for them.......

Edited by beaverbaseball

well boys I don't know what to say except chipper will be missed but don't be surprised if he is managing this team within 3 years

Chipper has said in the past he doesn't want to be a manager...but hitting coach in about 5 yrs. a big possiblity.

Chipper has said in the past he doesn't want to be a manager...but hitting coach in about 5 yrs. a big possiblity.

I think all of the braves fans on this board remembers when chipper broke in with the braves and all the special moments he had in his career..... he will always be my favorite player ahead of dale murphy and I will admit I got a little emotional no tears just hard way to see it end like this

Chipper's comments after the game

The Cardinals advanced to a Division Series against Washington that starts Sunday, while the Braves were eliminated from the playoffs and left to stew about making so many mistakes in their biggest game of the year. And to wonder what might have been if not for that umpire’s call in the eighth.

“I’m not willing to say that call cost us the ballgame,†said Jones, who went 1-for-5 in the last game of his storied career, the hit an infield single in the ninth inning. “Our three errors cost us the ballgame, mine being the biggest.â€

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/10/05/cards-eliminate-braves-6-3-in-controversial-game/

Here's hoping the Braves show-up for this postseason unlike the other appearance since 1999...

Nope. Errors, errors, errors. Braves didn't deserve it.

This is aside from the botched call on the infield fly rule.

Glad to see Chipper get that final shot in the 9th, and darn near start a rally.

Of course, this year the Braves get the top Wild Card, then lose the new playoff.

Only Atlanta.

Right. Because there are such strong geographical similarities between Bluefield, WV and Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc.

If we're arguing geographical similarities, the only defensible team SWVA could root for is Pittsburgh, and maybe Cincinnati, even though that's a stretch. And no one wants to do that.

Don't know how I missed this one.

Atlanta is Dixie. We are in Dixie. Atlanta is the closest southern team to SWVA, and I'm not counting the Washington Alouettes or the Baltimore Oreos (which are two defensible rooting interests, even if their fans are by and large like the 14-year-old girl who goes to her first real party).

I feel awful for Chipper. Bud Selig robbed him of an actual series to finish his career.

Did you watch the game? Did you see Chippers comment? You do realize if the Cards had lost they could claim the same thing? Both teams played by the same rule, like it or not. Both teams knew this was basically "sudden death".

The errors cost the Braves the game, not Selig, not the umpires, and Chipper is right, his was the biggest factor. If the Braves had turned that double play, they very likely would have won the game. There were other errors that contributed to the loss as well. Uggla's error was also costly. So please don't say Bud Selig robbed him of a chance to finish his career. I don't like Selig either, but that's just not true, and reeks of sour grapes.

Edited by blueinbama

Nope. Errors, errors, errors. Braves didn't deserve it.

This is aside from the botched call on the infield fly rule.

Glad to see Chipper get that final shot in the 9th, and darn near start a rally.

Of course, this year the Braves get the top Wild Card, then lose the new playoff.

Only Atlanta.

yep...errors are what cost us last year also.

same old story...same ending...just a different year.

Did you watch the game? Did you see Chippers comment? You do realize if the Cards had lost they could claim the same thing? Both teams played by the same rule, like it or not. Both teams knew this was basically "sudden death".

The errors cost the Braves the game, not Selig, not the umpires, and Chipper is right, his was the biggest factor. If the Braves had turned that double play, they very likely would have won the game. There were other errors that contributed to the loss as well. Uggla's error was also costly. So please don't say Bud Selig robbed him of a chance to finish his career. I don't like Selig either, but that's just not true, and reeks of sour grapes.

I watched the game and the errors cost the braves more than that bad call did but MLB needs to do something about this BS umpiring...... Chipper basically took the blame for the whole team that doesnt shock me he has always been classy and he dont wont his teammates to feel like it was there fault

I watched the game and the errors cost the braves more than that bad call did but MLB needs to do something about this BS umpiring...... Chipper basically took the blame for the whole team that doesnt shock me he has always been classy and he dont wont his teammates to feel like it was there fault

I hope they never take baseball to the extremes they have taken the NFL. Replay has its place, but in my opinion it would take away from the game of baseball. I think the umpires do an excellent job in baseball. They get it right a lot more than they get it wrong.

I hope they never take baseball to the extremes they have taken the NFL. Replay has its place, but in my opinion it would take away from the game of baseball. I think the umpires do an excellent job in baseball. They get it right a lot more than they get it wrong.

I honestly dont know even if u had replay whether it would have mattered on that play or not it was a hard call to make but IMO I think it shouldnt have been called because the SS never really looked comfortable drifting back to get under the ball and plus it was at least 40 feet passed the infield..... it wasnt a routine play for a SS to make

Typical Atlanta Braves playoff baseball with fielding and base-running mistakes as well as a lack of clutch hitting. I hope some big changes occur in the off-season such trying to trade Hanson for anything including a bucket of baseballs, shopping Dan Uggla, whose play this year at the plate was UGLY, and developing the young pitchers and shopping the ones that aren't going to live up to the potential. And the biggest off-season need is KEEPING MICHAEL BOURN. Atlanta has no one anywhere capable of being the lead-off threat and defensive player he is in center field.

Typical Atlanta Braves playoff baseball with fielding and base-running mistakes as well as a lack of clutch hitting. I hope some big changes occur in the off-season such trying to trade Hanson for anything including a bucket of baseballs, shopping Dan Uggla, whose play this year at the plate was UGLY, and developing the young pitchers and shopping the ones that aren't going to live up to the potential. And the biggest off-season need is KEEPING MICHAEL BOURN. Atlanta has no one anywhere capable of being the lead-off threat and defensive player he is in center field.

I agree Hanson is a joke and we need to resign Bourn

I agree Hanson is a joke and we need to resign Bourn

I know this is about the Braves, but after 15 years of watch my beloved O's SUCK, i just can't help myself, how bout them O's ! May not go much further but it's just great to see them in the post season again !

Go fighting Showalters !!!!!! Beat them Yanks !

Good luck to Chipper after baseball ! A very class act ! Gonna miss seeing him out there for the Braves. just wont seem the same !

Braves are my 2nd favorite team. Sure hated to see that game go the way it did yesterday.

Please forgive for hijacking the braves thread, I just didn't want to start a new thread for this. sorry

I know this is about the Braves, but after 15 years of watch my beloved O's SUCK, i just can't help myself, how bout them O's ! May not go much further but it's just great to see them in the post season again !

Go fighting Showalters !!!!!! Beat them Yanks !

Good luck to Chipper after baseball ! A very class act ! Gonna miss seeing him out there for the Braves. just wont seem the same !

Braves are my 2nd favorite team. Sure hated to see that game go the way it did yesterday.

Please forgive for hijacking the braves thread, I just didn't want to start a new thread for this. sorry

By all means...hijack away. Anything to take my mind off the game yesterday.

You mind if I jump on the O's bandwagon? They have always been one of my favorite AL teams, since I saw my first MLB game at Camden Yards back in 2000. Besides, I could never cheer for the Yankees.