1st scrimmage results

redtiger

scores? info? anything? come on were football starved and will take anything we can get!

I know Haysi and Twin Springs played. I know Haysi looked pretty good but didnt show much and didnt play some key offensive players on defense. I will post more when I know it.

I hear Eastside beat Holston 9 scores to 3.

yeah yeah the mighty Richlands beat a D1 school j/k

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest king kone
scores? info? anything? come on were football starved and will take anything we can get!

I know Haysi and Twin Springs played. I know Haysi looked pretty good but didnt show much and didnt play some key offensive players on defense. I will post more when I know it.

I hear Eastside beat Holston 9 scores to 3.

yeah yeah the mighty Richlands beat a D1 school j/k

And this coming from somebody who's team plays in the Black Sludge District.

not 9 scores..lol...more like holston scored twice eastside scored 3 maybe 4..eastside had alil more speed and could pass..but not 9 scores..was only maybe hour and 15 min scrimmage..very short scrimmage

on the EHS/HHS scores that is just what I heard, was looking for someone who might have been there to confirm or deny. Thanks for the info

Do you guys not know the meaning of j/k? ITS A JOKE! GW is always a very solid team and no one in SWVA takes them lightly.

Now, if you really want to get into an arguement about a school with around 300 students playing in a district with like sized schools(2 of which are larger) and a school scrimmaging another school 1/2 its size then I can do that. Not to mention I would take last years BDD champ over all but one school from the SWD last season, so I wouldnt make too much fun of the BDD(although its not exactly a strong district).

Edited by redtiger

Clintwood and Shelby Valley, started out a little slow. Shelby Valley has some size and speed. Gavan Meade broke a couple long TD run's and Robbie Mullins DOZED in for a couple himself, also one through the air. Quarterbacks did well, receivers struggled a little....nothing to worry about though, they will be fine. Line did surprisingly well for there first action as a group. Third and Fourth Teams played the majority of the second half of the scrimmage. Think it ended up like six scores to one....could be off one.

All and all Clintwood has a lot of kids that want to play, to early to say how good they are going to be. But yes they could be, Very Good!

Line did surprisingly well for there first action as a group. Third and Fourth Teams played the majority of the second half of the scrimmage.

They were pretty bad actually. Have a lot of work to do. Luckily SV was terrible and Robbie doesn't really need anyone to block for him.

Guest king kone
on the EHS/HHS scores that is just what I heard, was looking for someone who might have been there to confirm or deny. Thanks for the info

Do you guys not know the meaning of j/k? ITS A JOKE! GW is always a very solid team and no one in SWVA takes them lightly.

Now, if you really want to get into an arguement about a school with around 300 students playing in a district with like sized schools(2 of which are larger) and a school scrimmaging another school 1/2 its size then I can do that. Not to mention I would take last years BDD champ over all but one school from the SWD last season, so I wouldnt make too much fun of the BDD(although its not exactly a strong district).

Since you started this discussion lets get down to the numbers....GW 471 students...Richlands 795...Richlands plays Abingdon with 956 and Carroll Co. with 1175...Richlands is playing a benefit game next Sat. against Bassett who has 1208...you don't hear us bellyaching...look...if you have a complaint about scheduling and don't want to play the Clinch River Classic anymore complain to your AD...

Since you started this discussion lets get down to the numbers....GW 471 students...Richlands 795...Richlands plays Abingdon with 956 and Carroll Co. with 1175...Richlands is playing a benefit game next Sat. against Bassett who has 1208...you don't hear us bellyaching...look...if you have a complaint about scheduling and don't want to play the Clinch River Classic anymore complain to your AD...

Richlands has the program to play some big boys. However, Abingdon, Carroll, and Bassett (scrimmage) are not big boys on the field.

Pulaski totally dominated the devils. Scored pretty much at will. GC is rebuilding, playing a lot of young kids, Pulaski will be pretty good. They are big and physical. I never worry too much about scrimmages, but the Devils have some work to do.

Pulaski is going to be good this year. That's a team that might get a little pay back for some of the close loss's last year. A lot of size and talent and well coached.

That's going to be a really tough game for the blues to win this year especially at their place ! I have never been to their home field before but I have heard it is a really nice place with some crazy fans....lol.

Like you, I don't worry to much about or put much stock into scrimmage games. Each coach has his own agenda as for what he wants to see and do. Most coaches don't really care about what the final score is as much as how did each player look and what do they need to work on in the coming weeks and also ( most important ) to PLEASE stay INJURY FREE.

Who do you guys scrimmage against next ?

Pulaski is going to be good this year. That's a team that might get a little pay back for some of the close loss's last year. A lot of size and talent and well coached.

That's going to be a really tough game for the blues to win this year especially at their place ! I have never been to their home field before but I have heard it is a really nice place with some crazy fans....lol.

Like you, I don't worry to much about or put much stock into scrimmage games. Each coach has his own agenda as for what he wants to see and do. Most coaches don't really care about what the final score is as much as how did each player look and what do they need to work on in the coming weeks and also ( most important ) to PLEASE stay INJURY FREE.

Who do you guys scrimmage against next ?

Graham and Union Thursday. PC was impressive to say the least.

They were pretty bad actually. Have a lot of work to do. Luckily SV was terrible and Robbie doesn't really need anyone to block for him.

Very true Robbie is strong, I agree with you on the line play........just trying to think positive. Although the strong side did alright, the weak side needs help.

I honestly dont know what you are talking about?

I dont have a problem with Haysis schedule or who we are scrimmaging(ive wanted us to beef up our scrimmage opponents for a long time). Definately not bellyaching.

Now on the the SWD; Abingdon is average(most of us know that) and Carroll is up and down(currently down). Marion is average and competes well against Hogo teams 1/2 their size, Tazewell has been down for some time. From my point of view the SWD is basically a AA equilivent of the BDD(strong at the top, below average in the middle and weak at the bottom) so you really dont have alot of room to make fun of other districts. Yes Richlands is good(very good as of late) theres no denying or arguing that(hell I even pull for Richlands). And as for scrimmaging Bassett, they are a middle of the road Piedmont team at best, doesent really matter how large they are.

My original comment, "yeah yeah the mighty Richlands beat a D1 school j/k" was reffering to the fact that at the time a thread concerning the GW/RHS scrimmage had already been started, no need to post info about it on this thread. You really need to lighten up a little(or maybe alot).

Honaker-Chilhowie:Honaker scored 5,chill 2.both teams played alot of players.

Honakers 1st team looked good,scored 3tds in the two quarters that the clock was ran,Chilhowie scored twice which i think 1 was on tigers 2nd team defence.Chilhowie kid was carted off field with injury hope hes okay.

Honaker-Chilhowie:Honaker scored 5,chill 2.both teams played alot of players.

Honakers 1st team looked good,scored 3tds in the two quarters that the clock was ran,Chilhowie scored twice which i think 1 was on tigers 2nd team defence.Chilhowie kid was carted off field with injury hope hes okay.

Glad to hear that Honaker looked good. Who all have they lost from last year ?

I watched Graham vs. WestSide and Graham vs. Central primarily....also tried to glimpse a little of Tazewell vs. Pikeview and Westside vs. Pikeview and I left before Tazewell and Central....

I would rank the teams this way....

1. Graham

2/3. Westside / Central

4. Tazewell

5.. Pikeview

Graham outscored Westside 3 td's to 1 and Central 3 td's to 1, during varsity play. Graham appears to be a little bigger, a little stronger than last season. They have solid RB's in Hatfield , Brennan and Thompson. All 3 of those RB's broke a few "good" runs. Thompson was the biggest surprise for me, he was really hard to bring down. Hess also spent some time at RB and played well.

Graham didn't do anything fancy, mostly running plays with a few QB options thrown in and they threw just a few passes, one of which was completed to freshman Bryce Farris for a TD.

I would have to say that Graham is much more fundamentally sound than the past few years...they are tackling, blocking, running their assignments better. Defensively, they are staying in their assigned areas better. Just better football overall, I would have to say. Williams really has these guys on the right track and if anybody tells you different, they are crazy.

I would have to say that Graham looks to be a "solid" team this year and they look to be ahead of where they were last year. They did nothing spectacular today, but they did nothing poorly today either.

Looking ahead to Bluefield, I would be worried about Bluefield's speed, however...Graham will match up well physically with Bluefield this year and shouldn't be pushed around the field like the past few years. Graham was smaller than WestSide and Central (both had very big lines)...but held their own and actually was getting a good push on Central's offense in the 2nd scrimmage.

Westside scored on their 1st possession against Graham, but Graham contained them well after that.

Westside and Central both have potential, they are big, strong teams with some good athletes.

Tazewell looks much improved from last year....they were lighting up the scoreboard against Pikeview (probably scored 7 or 8 td's)...I lost count...and was focusing on Graham...

WestSide scored at will against Pikeview and probably had about 10 TD's (....again....lost count and was watching Graham)

Bright spot for Pikeview was their JV....who outscored Westside's JV....

Like I said didn't stick around for Tazewell vs. Central or Graham vs. Pikeview (which was going to be mostly JV. action anyway).

Hope this info is beneficial for some of you.

Oh yeah...Sheets played very well at QB, was smart runnning the option and tucked it and ran when he had to. I was pleased....Team seems to have good chemistry and a "family" atmosphere about them, too....

Edited by futbolking

Like someone has already mentioned, Pulaski County looked really good.

Gate City........did not look like Gate City. Probably the smallest & slowest GC team I have ever seen. Didn't look like we have anyone who wants to hit. I'm afraid it is going to be a LONG year.

I watched Graham vs. WestSide and Graham vs. Central primarily....also tried to glimpse a little of Tazewell vs. Pikeview and Westside vs. Pikeview and I left before Tazewell and Central....

I would rank the teams this way....

1. Graham

2/3. Westside / Central

4. Tazewell

5.. Pikeview

Graham outscored Westside 3 td's to 1 and Central 3 td's to 1, during varsity play. Graham appears to be a little bigger, a little stronger than last season. They have solid RB's in Hatfield , Brennan and Thompson. All 3 of those RB's broke a few "good" runs. Thompson was the biggest surprise for me, he was really hard to bring down. Hess also spent some time at RB and played well.

Graham didn't do anything fancy, mostly running plays with a few QB options thrown in and they threw just a few passes, one of which was completed to freshman Bryce Farris for a TD.

I would have to say that Graham is much more fundamentally sound than the past few years...they are tackling, blocking, running their assignments better. Defensively, they are staying in their assigned areas better. Just better football overall, I would have to say. Williams really has these guys on the right track and if anybody tells you different, they are crazy.

I would have to say that Graham looks to be a "solid" team this year and they look to be ahead of where they were last year. They did nothing spectacular today, but they did nothing poorly today either.

Looking ahead to Bluefield, I would be worried about Bluefield's speed, however...Graham will match up well physically with Bluefield this year and shouldn't be pushed around the field like the past few years. Graham was smaller than WestSide and Central (both had very big lines)...but held their own and actually was getting a good push on Central's offense in the 2nd scrimmage.

Westside scored on their 1st possession against Graham, but Graham contained them well after that.

Westside and Central both have potential, they are big, strong teams with some good athletes.

Tazewell looks much improved from last year....they were lighting up the scoreboard against Pikeview (probably scored 7 or 8 td's)...I lost count...and was focusing on Graham...

WestSide scored at will against Pikeview and probably had about 10 TD's (....again....lost count and was watching Graham)

Bright spot for Pikeview was their JV....who outscored Westside's JV....

Like I said didn't stick around for Tazewell vs. Central or Graham vs. Pikeview (which was going to be mostly JV. action anyway).

Hope this info is beneficial for some of you.

Oh yeah...Sheets played very well at QB, was smart runnning the option and tucked it and ran when he had to. I was pleased....Team seems to have good chemistry and a "family" atmosphere about them, too....

Central will be in good shape when they some of the kids who were out today back. I can't really fault Reed for not playing them when the season will mean something as opposed to a scrimmage. I didn't attend (my son was out so I took care of some needed errands here),but I heard some positives from Central (especially better on run defense althought it sounds like the pass defense needs work).I Of course,alot of folks put so much stock in scrimmages,but they are nothing more than glorified practices. Coach Reed will make adjustments and Central should look better next week. Perhaps my buddy stainless will give us a rundown

I went to the Twin Valley Jamboree today to watch Hurley. They tied in both scrimmages 1-1 against Northwood and 2-2 against Narrows. Recent Hurley transfer Ralph Jones scored twice and showed some great speed and athleticism. They also ran some plays with him at quarterback which worked at well with him running a lot when he was back there.

Tazewell had 8 to 10 touchdowns on the board against B. Wyatt's Pikeview team....

Tazewell had there way with Central as well....

I was impressed with the way Tazewell came out and played and continued to play as the day progressed.... Keep up the hard work Dawgs!

Graham looked good as well, they came out slow, and then got things going!

I was impressed with the QB from Westside, that kid has some talent!