Richlands @ Gate City

Nadoball

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to goodness none of our kids are reading these boards. They're going to grow and learn as the season goes, but if they keep reading and hearing (even from our own fans) how awful they are, worst team ever etc, they'll just walk through the season with no reason to try. Keep in mind the starting QB hasn't played in any scrimmage other than the blue and white game. I've seen flashes of talent out there, and there's no way I can honestly say this is the worst team ever. The defense showed a sign of life in the Union scrimmage. Honestly, offensively they used that scrimmage to "test the waters" with Gardner at QB. Richlands may win by 50, but I've been surprised before. Dang guys, build these kids encouragement up and support them on Friday night and see what happens. If they get beat, at least they'll know they weren't in the fight alone.

Hope all you folks from Richlands have a safe trip to GC and back home and hope for no injuries.

Guest lookoutmountain
I hope to goodness none of our kids are reading these boards. They're going to grow and learn as the season goes, but if they keep reading and hearing (even from our own fans) how awful they are, worst team ever etc, they'll just walk through the season with no reason to try. Keep in mind the starting QB hasn't played in any scrimmage other than the blue and white game. I've seen flashes of talent out there, and there's no way I can honestly say this is the worst team ever. The defense showed a sign of life in the Union scrimmage. Honestly, offensively they used that scrimmage to "test the waters" with Gardner at QB. Richlands may win by 50, but I've been surprised before. Dang guys, build these kids encouragement up and support them on Friday night and see what happens. If they get beat, at least they'll know they weren't in the fight alone.

Hope all you folks from Richlands have a safe trip to GC and back home and hope for no injuries.

I never wrote the kids from GC are awful. What I did say was that this GC team is young, inexperienced and based on the ready available talent right now on this very season, this GC team is among the weakest I've seen in the history of the program compared to where GC has been. Gate City will be loaded in 2-3 years, but every school usually has some point of lack of readily available talent. For some schools, it's lack of ready available talent every year, or once every two years, once every 3 years, or once every 10 years. For schools like Salem, it's once every 10 years. For Gate City, it's more like once every 20 years. This is simply that year for Gate City. Next year, GC will be back and the year after next, they will compete for a state title, but on this very year, the ready available talent isn't there. The talent is there, but the key is ready-available talent. It's no disrespect to the kids or the team. I simply can't write on here that it's another solid GC team because I would be lying. Based on what I've seen, this team has performed the weakest in pre-season scrimmages than what I've seen the last 25 years at GC.

Guest lookoutmountain
Guys GC can't be that bad...........

I don't know if GC will be "bad," but compared to the standard, or compared to what GC has been for most of it's duration of having a program, this GC team is way down. They are talented, but to young and inexperienced. Gate City will be better next year, and the year after, they will compete for a state title.

Guest king kone
I never wrote the kids from GC are awful. What I did say was that this GC team is young, inexperienced and based on the ready available talent right now on this very season, this GC team is among the weakest I've seen in the history of the program compared to where GC has been. Gate City will be loaded in 2-3 years, but every school usually has some point of lack of readily available talent. For some schools, it's lack of ready available talent every year, or once every two years, once every 3 years, or once every 10 years. For schools like Salem, it's once every 10 years. For Gate City, it's more like once every 20 years. This is simply that year for Gate City. Next year, GC will be back and the year after next, they will compete for a state title, but on this very year, the ready available talent isn't there. The talent is there, but the key is ready-available talent. It's no disrespect to the kids or the team. I simply can't write on here that it's another solid GC team because I would be lying. Based on what I've seen, this team has performed the weakest in pre-season scrimmages than what I've seen the last 25 years at GC.
I heard that GC had 4 or 5 players that were really good that didn't come out....

every year there are kids who don't play for one reason or another, i never care, if they don't want to play, please don't. The kids who are there are not as bad as some have said, and yet i think the Devils will struggle a bit. I do think the offense will be fine, the D has been slower to get started this year. Don't confuse a slow start (if they have one) to being the worst team ever, etc. Richlands, Harlan, South, and Bluefield in the first 5 games would give anyone in SWVA all they can handle. I will sure be glad to give a little more of my opinion after the Richlands game.

Guest lookoutmountain

As for the worst team in GC history, I certainly can't say that, but bet you this (no money of course, just my simple out on a limb pick). Richlands will beat Gate City by the worst margin in the history of all of Richlands previous wins over Gate City. 45-7. I think the worst is by 35 points when Richlands beat the Gate 35 to zip in 2005. No question, GC has a wicked tough schedule and the schedule they are starting with would be tough for any single A or double A team in the state of Virginia, but.....these losses will be bad losses and ones that are not close. I hope Gate City beat Richlands by 2 touchdowns or 3, or 4, but this year, the Gate is going to struggle. They will be better prepared the second half of the season due to the schedule they start with, but it will not be enough to make the playoffs. Prediction for Gate City....3-7 to 4-6. Going through Gate City's history, there are few, very, very few 3 win teams or 4 win teams in the last 50 years. Going back 50 years to 1962, Gate City's worst seasons are 4-6 in 1981, 4-6 in 2006, and 3 and 7 in 1998. These are the only 3 teams in Gate City since at least 1962 to win only 3 or 4 games in a season that I can think of. I think this year's team wins no more than 4 games and makes it in one of the top 4 non-winning seasons in the last 50 years of Gate City football. It's pretty scary to think just how good and how consistent Gate City has been over the last 50 years when I can come up with only 3 seasons in which Gate City has not at least 4 games. A 4 and 6 season is kind of like another year for many football programs, but for Gate City, going back over a 50 year period, it's a complete anomaly.

Their Consistency is why they are so respected ! As good as Richlands has been over the last several years, we sure don't have anywhere close to that kind of record over that long of a span !

They have had some great players and coaches, and also some great fan support !

I wish you guys good luck this season..............after this Friday of course....LOL !

Guest king kone
LOL who did you hear that from? The parents of the kids who didn't play?
From a ex-player from last years team jackal.....

Team Jackal? wow :) i heard it last year, some of those players didn't want to play last year. some didn't like the coaches, etc... I think i will leave it at that. If you are going to call someone names do better than that. Good grief, my family calls me worse than that :)

I have all the respect in the world for the Gate City program, always have. Even coaches will tell you that they're very concerned. They lack depth, size and speed. But the one thing they lack that no Gate City team in the past has lacked is leadership. They've had kids taking off for 2 and 3 weeks at a time right up until 2 a days and a couple during 2 a days. They're going to take some lumps early on, but honestly it may be the best thing for them. They have a great coaching staff and to much tradition to just fall apart. They'll get better as the season goes and could be dangerous if they're able to get it together in time to slip into the playoffs. Another thing you can be sure of is that help is on the way. Dont look for to many down years over at Legion. With that said, I also know that Richlands really struggles throwing the ball. They're going to be more of a grind it out type of team, but with a defense that good, that will work just fine. Richlands 35 Gate City 0

BTW, just to make this clear, I'm no longer at jsb or in the state for that matter. I offer this simply as an unbiased opinion from both seeing them and talking to people inside the program. I've grew up in a similar program thats went to battle with some of the best teams Gate City has had. Like I said earlier, I have nothing but respect for that program.

No disrespect to the GC players or coaches.

This year's team is just too small, slow, and inexperienced to compete like a "normal" GC team competes. It is just not going to happen.

I believe our starting QB is out until at least week 3 of the season. With our lack of depth this year, that pulls two other kids out of their positions, and weakens an already weak team.

The first part of our schedule is brutal. Richlands, @ Harlan County (who I believe will be unveiling a new stadium the night we play them), @ Sullivan South, Lebanon, and @ Bluefield. We can hope for a 1-4 record after the first 5 games.

It CAN be good to play a tough schedule to start the season. Helps you find your team's weaknesses, and can toughen up some kids. BUT, a tough schedule like that to start the year CAN destroy a young team's confidence. You also have a higher risk of injuries playing that type of schedule. Most years this would not be a major concern for GC. This year it is.

I have watched all of GC's scrimmages this year. (God....I hope Pulaski County is really that good.) I think we win 4 games.......at most. I also unfortunately believe that we are a couple of injuries away from maybe only winning 1 or 2 games.

Again, no disrespect to the players or coaches. This is just one of those rare years where teams will get some payback on GC.

.....Hey.........is it too late to schedule Abingdon?

Gate City may not be the team it once was, but it is still Gate City, and I am one Blues fan that remembers how many times in the past we went to legion field expecting an easy win and came home with our tail's tucked. So let us not be thinking that the game is won before it is played. I still think Gate City will put up a good fight, too much history and tradition. Housewright will have GC ready to play and I look for a good game.

Gate City may not be the team it once was, but it is still Gate City, and I am one Blues fan that remembers how many times in the past we went to legion field expecting an easy win and came home with our tail's tucked. So let us not be thinking that the game is won before it is played. I still think Gate City will put up a good fight, too much history and tradition. Housewright will have GC ready to play and I look for a good game.

The Dallas Cowboys have history and tradition but look how much it's done for them lately when it comes to winning playoff games. No slam on GC. Sometime you are just a victim of talent ebb and flow that comes to all teams everywhere unless you do a good job of "recruiting."

Guest lookoutmountain

That's a bit much saying that Gate city "may not be the team it once was." Gate City certainly IS the team or program it Always has been, but simply put, this is a down year which every school has. For most schools, it's once every 2 years, or 3, or 4, and for some schools, it's more than most years. For GC, it's once every 15 or so years historically. This is simply that year. GC has tons of talent coming up like it always has, just simply put....down year, nothing more. Great coaches, great program, nothing's changed.

That's a bit much saying that Gate city "may not be the team it once was." Gate City certainly IS the team or program it Always has been, but simply put, this is a down year which every school has. For most schools, it's once every 2 years, or 3, or 4, and for some schools, it's more than most years. For GC, it's once every 15 or so years historically. This is simply that year. GC has tons of talent coming up like it always has, just simply put....down year, nothing more. Great coaches, great program, nothing's changed.

I can't speak for Blue72+1, but I think he meant it the way you are talking about as far as this being a down year for you guys and not the way I think you might have taken it. Every fan that I know of over here in Richlands has nothing but the most respect for the Devils program !

I didn't know your starting QB was out ! I hate to hear that, that really is a tough break for a young team. I hope he is able to get back ASAP !

See you in Gate City tomorrow night ! It's hard to believe it's almost that time.

The fans are wonderful at Gatecity I love to go there, everyone in town are nice they always stike up a conversation. Very humble attitudes and proud of there football team. I have left there with my heart broken many times. If they only had 11 players with broken legs I still wouldnt feel easy until the clock reaches 0:00

What I meant was Gate City will always be and always has been a powerfull football team. What they call a down year, would be a good year for a lot of area teams. I wasn't knocking the program, but I don't think GC is down as far as even some of their fans seem to be saying. I very well know about tradition and history and they don't win games, but if you do not respect your opponent, it can be very dangerous. I always look forward to the Blues playing GC, but with the upmost respect, and how do you get respect? You earn it, and I think GC has more than earned the respect of a majority of Blues fans.