Choose a prior player to place on your current team

com74bsslc

Bradley Strong--a five-star field general for Coach Mance

Strong leadership on the field (an off). When he was around the ball you knew good things were going to happen.

Life has many choices---eternity two

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Richlands fan and another different player.

I would like to see Jeremy McCommons ! One of the toughest all around players I have seen at Richlands !

Was a fantastic RB with power and speed and made great cuts, and was one of the hardest hitters at LB I have ever seen. Had the speed to cover the whole field from his LB spot. Could carry a game on both sides .

You never hear his name much, but he was a player. Played at James Madison for a couple of years.

Jeremy's teammates made him look better than he was. He didn't do so well after all of the seniors graduated ('94.) He went from 1,500 yards rushing his junior year to 500 his senior year. He wasn't as tough as Brannon Breeding. Jeremy was allergic to pain and was caudled by some of the coaching staff. The "tough" runner on that team was Jason Lester, who I think was the best fullback to play at Richlands. A mediocre running back would have had a 1,000 yard season with the OL, Jay-BO (Jason Lester) and the QB Stevie Dye.

Richlands: Caleb Jennings or Brandon Breeding, many debates have raged over which of these State Championship-winning backs is the greatest. Breeding was larger than Jennings, and possibly even faster, but anyone who ever watched Caleb play knew he just had a knack for scoring and exciting play

Virginia High: Beattie Feathers (okay so he played 80 years ago but he became the first NFL running back to rush for 1000 yards in a season, and I can't think of any other truly legendary player we've ever had)

I'd like to have Joey Turner. He was a man then, now with weight lifting programs they have now OMG. Fastest and strongest man in the New River Dis. in the 70's. How great he would be now!

Edited by RCITYHOO

I dont remember Eddie Hall. I thought I was up on area football over the last 30 years, I spent 8 years in the military so I may have missed some stuff. The first "star" player I can remember watching was Sandy Rogers form Richlands.

You need to go back 31 years...1981...led Graham to their first undefeated season in his senior season. Eddie was about 6'2", 230, played FB and LB, dominated both sides of the ball, and could grow a full beard in about 15 minutes.

Only player I've seen comparable him was Jake Houseright from Gate City.

Eddie went to VT on a scholarship but had to "give up" football due to injury.

You ever seen that picture of Mike when he was in high school. I think Lance might have posted it, he looks like a giant on a pee-wee team.

My recollection from growing up is that Mike was always a pretty big guy. But he really shot up in high school and was truly a man among boys at that point.

A pretty good guy to have up front for any team, and a superior individual all-around.

I have to say TJ Rasnick. In his freshman year he was electric on the field. Also to be able to come back the way he did for his senior year and still play with the same passion.

Fully agree! He was an inspiration too many ppl.

I believe I would have to pick some Linemen for Tazewell this year. I think they have some skill, just need some linemen on both sides of the ball. If we aren't going back too far I would start with Jake Evans and Jarred Burton. Both very good on both sides of the ball. If we were going back all-time, that list would drastically change!!

I agree Eddie Hall could fit in on any team, but why not add the best QB from the area too. He came off that same team, Eddie Neal. If he had played on a pass happy team he would still own records. They were both gifted atheletes.

I would say Matt Davis for Richlands He was a tough kid, played both ways and on special teams he was invaluable as a second option to Austin Fuller, we could really use him this year especially in the defensive backfield.

When Fuller was being shadowed by a couple of defenders...Matt was the go to guy. You used the word invaluable above to describe Matt and it is very appropriate for the 2006 state game and his outstanding playmaking. Also, Justin McCracken, as QB during that timeline, couldn't have played the position any better. Caleb Jennings our tireless workhorse in the backfield...not enough adjectives to describe his abilities. A throw back article...Richlands fans will enjoy...http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2009/aug/04/football_richlands_running_backs_shined_in_state_c-ar-242704/

Wow, I can still see some of those big plays at the state game unfolding in my mind now. Down to the wire...game on the line...our "awesome" defense chasing the scrambling Rockbridge QB...and then the interception by Fuller...the "taking of the knee" and then in the words of Skip Carey...(altered somewhat) ...BLUES WIN, BLUES WIN, BLUES WIN!

Just to throw couple of more names out there...Cain Ringstaff...was a heck of a RB prior to Caleb and Timmy Brown was an outstanding QB. Not trying to slight any other Richlands players not yet mentioned ...but the ole brain is taxed at the moment, so, I'll let others take over.

Edited by trublue

I'm shocked that the Richlands people haven't brought up Brandon Breeding

He was...look back (by you and another, granted not in depth, but Brannon is considered one of the best in Richlands football history).. the article linked is about Brannon and Caleb.