Fort Chiswell @ Graham

starcityfootballfan

THE GAME OF THE WEEK!

The 7-1 Fort Chiswell Pioneers will be making their first appearance under the lights of the "boy, ya'll sure have a big place." (Quote from a Grayson County fan I met this year during his initial visit to Mitchell Stadium ... I am not making fun but this quote stuck in my head... seemed to be a great guy and I certainly admired his dedication to the Blue Devil program).

The only blemish on the Pioneer record is an early season setback (28-7) to powerful George Wythe. Since week number two, Fort Chiswell has rolled, rallied, and then rolled again. This team now sits in first place in the D-2 West power point tally. A come from behind victory, and self implosion by Galax, got our attention. However, the Pioneer victory over Grayson County got everyone's attention and then some. The second half rampage by Fort Chiswell left the Grayson faithful stunned as they loaded up their vehicles early and headed back to Independence. No doubt, these back to back wins certainly highlighted the Pioneer credential cards throughout the Commonwealth!

Up the road, through two tunnels, and then take the first right. Welcome to Bluefield ... Home of the G-Men! The maroon and gold banners proudly proclaim and will lead you to the friendly confines of Mitchell Stadium.

Graham's G-Men now stand at 6-2 and, like it or not, seem to be the winner of this year's "Yeah, We're Back" award! Graham wasted no time in announcing its arrival back on August 24. In front of 10,000 "Twin City" football fans, the G-Men held on in the final seconds to hand city rival and West Virginia AA power (currently ranked #2) Bluefield its only loss. The shock waves from that one STILL resonate across both state lines. From that night on, the Virginia side folks seemed to sense that this was the year that they had been waiting on for a long time. Obviously, this team is NOT the Graham teams of the old glory days. However, this team is special and no one can deny that this team has heart.

So much heart that the G-Men occupy the #3 spot in the D-2 West power point tally. Therefore, by defeating "the Fort" the G-Men stand to gain "el moocho" in the power point standings. So much "el moocho" that the familiar confines of Mitchell Stadium will be assured during the playoffs as long as the G-Men continue to win.

Common opponents for the two schools include Marion, Galax, Bland, Narrows, and Grayson County. We all know that Grayson easily handled the G-Men and both teams had to come from behind to defeat Galax. Marion played both very tough before falling in the end. Could Fort Chiswell defeat Bluefield or Richlands? NO! Graham split these two games and played the tougher schedule.

Hopefully, that will benefit the G-Men and if so, even the non Graham faithful will join us in saying, "Yeah, We're Back!" Practice it again here ... "Yeah, We're Back!"

I am so glad that the good ol' MED has another showcase game that high school football fans from across the entire state will be following!

Graham gets another upset here and climbs upward! In a close one...

Graham 21

Fort Chiswell 20

Go G-Men!

Thoughts/predictions?

Edited by starcityfootballfan

I believe this game has the potential to be one of the best all year. Both schools have great history and both are having great seasons. Mitchell will be packed Friday night. Homecoming for the G-Men and what seems like forever since they have had a home game.

I expect a very close game, but I'm going to give the G-Men the big W here. Haven't won a homecoming game in two years, I think our boys are due one.

Final

Graham 27

Fort 20

I believe this game has the potential to be one of the best all year. Both schools have great history and both are having great seasons. Mitchell will be packed Friday night. Homecoming for the G-Men and what seems like forever since they have had a home game.

I expect a very close game, but I'm going to give the G-Men the big W here. Haven't won a homecoming game in two years, I think our boys are due one.

Final

Graham 27

Fort 20

long over due ... I could not agree with you more my friend. A Graham victory is no better way to silence the critics! Go G-Men!

Final

Graham 27

Fort 20

I know quite a few Richlands fans that will be up there to watch as well.

Iin regards to Grayson game Fort was no doubt the better team.......Grayson QB only played to snaps in 2nd half, a nineteen yard completion to his brither and a fumble(injury) on next snap. Not for a moment saying this would have changed outcome but would have had an affect. QB had 3 TDs rushing and over 100 yards passing at the half.

Graham needs to start fast and not wait until after halftime to get things rolling. If they limit the penalties and don't come out flat and think they will be just fine. Won't be able to get away with that stuff against Fort.

They need to play their best game thus far on friday....Play offense like they did against Galax...and play defense like they did against Bluefield... if Graham puts it together on both sides of the ball....they will get the W...

Gotta go with Graham

Graham 34

Fort 31

They need to play their best game thus far on friday....Play offense like they did against Galax...and play defense like they did against Bluefield... if Graham puts it together on both sides of the ball....they will get the W...

Gotta go with Graham

Graham 34

Fort 31

That combination ... "play offense like they did against Galax ... and play defense like they did against Bluefield" would wreck a NS freight train! Hopefully, this will happen and if it does ... watch out! Go G-Men!

If graham wins there's a 3 way tie for first right? Who wins?

One remaining game, after Graham-Fort Chiswell, will help sort things out in the rugged MED. If Graham wins over FC, and barring no major upsets, you will have Graham, Fort Chiswell, and Grayson County currently with one loss. Galax is out of the regular season MED title picture after being defeated by both Graham and Fort Chiswell.

However, Grayson still must face Galax and a Maroon Tide (Galax) victory would be huge for both Graham and Fort Chiswell. If Galax does defeat Grayson then the Blue Devils are out of the MED title chase with two district losses. If Graham wins over Fort, then the G-Men and Fort would end up in a tie atop the district standings.

The IMPOTANT part of this game is that the winner will haul in MAJOR points in the D-2 West power point scale. Enough points to possibly secure the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs. Currently, FC is in first place followed by Wilson Memorial, Graham, and John Battle. Actually, a very slim margin separates the top five; therefore, it is anyone's ball game and anyone's seeding as the regular season nears its close.

As you can see, this game is huge for both Graham and Fort Chiswell. It is also huge for the other (Wilson Memorial, Dan River, John Battle) top five D-2 West schools. The outcome of this game will help determine their playoff seeding as well. This is why the verdict of this game (Graham-Fort) will be of great interests to many throughout the Commonwealth.

No doubt, the MED will be well represented come playoff time. Four MED teams will make the playoffs whether or not they win or lose. Galax is in the D-1 West scenario. In D-2 West, Grayson County, Fort Chiswell, and Graham are all in as well.

This week, the state wide spot light will once again be on the good ol' MED! Go G-Men!

Graham had a chance to fight Fort off, but just seemed to start slow out of the gates. Fort's line played very well and created space in the middle for a good running back. Interesting to note was Graham's raw speed advantage. Good game though. My impression was that it was played hard, cleanly, and was well officiated.

Graham had a chance to fight Fort off, but just seemed to start slow out of the gates. Fort's line played very well and created space in the middle for a good running back. Interesting to note was Graham's raw speed advantage. Good game though. My impression was that it was played hard, cleanly, and was well officiated.

I agree with that assessment. I also think that the offsides penalty when Fort was going to punt...but they ended up going down and scoring after the penalty gave them a first down...and the fumble by Graham on 4th and inches were key plays that could've made it a different outcome.... If these 2 teams played 10 times, I like Graham's chances to win 5...very good effort by the G-Men against a very good team. I was impressed with Fort's size and execution....very well coached.

I agree with that assessment. I also think that the offsides penalty when Fort was going to punt...but they ended up going down and scoring after the penalty gave them a first down...and the fumble by Graham on 4th and inches were key plays that could've made it a different outcome.... If these 2 teams played 10 times, I like Graham's chances to win 5...very good effort by the G-Men against a very good team. I was impressed with Fort's size and execution....very well coached.

I agree with this assessment, if Graham had team discipline.

Graham has a very good team. Fort was hoping to only play Hamm at safety. That's why he only carried the ball the few times he did in the first half. Then Fort lost their up-back/fullback at half #1(Mooney). He can get down field after the recievers have spread the field-real key to their passing game. Right guard also left. Thats why Hamm had to cary the load the last quarter and a half.

I agree with this assessment, if Graham had team discipline.

you may call it lack of discipline but i would call it being over agressive if you look at the graham teams of the past the linebackers blitzed a lot of the time. these kids seem to want to get off the ball fast. yes it does hurt with penalties but other times it helps. hopefully they will get better at timing the snap and have fewer off sides penalties.

you may call it lack of discipline but i would call it being over agressive if you look at the graham teams of the past the linebackers blitzed a lot of the time. these kids seem to want to get off the ball fast. yes it does hurt with penalties but other times it helps. hopefully they will get better at timing the snap and have fewer off sides penalties.

I would also call the off-sides penalties against Graham in the 1st half....poor officiating. .... The Fort Chiswell Center was blantantly moving the ball to get Graham to jump off-sides.... He tried it in 2nd half and Graham didn't bite on it....

The refs totally blew those calls...it was obvious, I saw him doing it from 12 rows up.