great expectations from our teams

cwood78

sometimes to much presure is put on our kids to perform...and we have to remember..they are kids,,, yea they have ipad, phones, or what ever they have these days..... whether your're from Thomas Walker or Narrows...............kids are kids.............

Well said and so true!

Disagree with you and actually believe you are 100% wrong and that your way of thinking is one of the reasons our kids are failing across the country when looking at most statistical measures of success and happiness.  Drug use, teen pregnancy rates, teen dropout rates, teenage crime, jobless rates among recent graduates, etc.....most measure show a generation that is in serious trouble when comparing this generation to historic generations.  One of the reasons for that in my opinion is your attitude.  Actually MORE pressure needs to be put on kids, not less.  Kids in this generation are in trouble because of the old cliche, "everybody gets a trophy" etc.  To truly summarize it....this generation isn't allowed to deal with anxiety, stress, or major challenging issues that require initiative at a young age.  In stead, we teach them to take a pill before learning the coping mechanisms of how to deal with stress and what later becomes.......life.  Therefore, I respect agree with your concern about these young men and I truly mean that, but I disagree 100% in your approach.  There is little to zero pressure.  In Africa, many kids have nothing to eat and have 1 parent who dies of AIDS and one of who is about to die.  In Afghanistan, one kid lost his brother to a landmine and his father is putting pressure on him to strap a missile to himself and blow himself and others up to get revenge.  In parts of Asia, a 12 year old girl is worried about her fathers recent decision to prostitute her.  See my point?  Worrying about "performing" in a High School Football isn't stress when we compare it to what is true stress and truly concerning.  

Too much pressure and emphasis is put on sports or grades and not enough on the things that are most important; responsibility, citizenship, family, honor, pride, the value of life, etc.  That's where the youth of today is lost.  They understand that it is important to make straight As or score TDs in a ball game but they don't understand why its wrong to call a woman a bitch or what's so wrong about picking on someone weaker than yourself.

Scoring TDs or having 12 tackles isn't what's important, playing your best, playing honorably and enjoying the game is what matters. Getting a high score on your World History 2 SOL doesn't matter, understanding why/how the NAZIs came to power does. That's where were off track. If more emphasis is put on the 2nd part of those statements then the 1st part will come along.

We also expect kids/young adults to succeed, we set a bar and expect them to go over it. When we should really just encourage them to do better, not reach some goal. Life is a work in progress, forward and back, up and down, and there is not set schedule. Its not a steady progression. Kids need to understand that it is ok to take a step back, as long as they keep going and don't settle for less.  Getting a D because you struggle with Algebra isn't the end of the world, but you definitely need to improve on it.

Either too much pressure is put o them to be perfect or no pressure is put on them at all. Its either "you have to be perfect" or "you didn't try and that's ok, its too hard". My parents couldn't have cared less if I played football or not, or if I made straight As(I didn't) but they were very concerned that I finished what I started and did my best. And most of all that I conducted myself like a man(even if I was just a teenager).

as far as expectations for our teams, I expect Haysi to play hard, play like men and give it their all. Im as proud of the '11 team as I am the '05 team. I have connections to both and while they had very different records and levels of "success" they both played well and represented Haysi very well.

Disagree with you and actually believe you are 100% wrong and that your way of thinking is one of the reasons our kids are failing across the country when looking at most statistical measures of success and happiness. Drug use, teen pregnancy rates, teen dropout rates, teenage crime, jobless rates among recent graduates, etc.....most measure show a generation that is in serious trouble when comparing this generation to historic generations. One of the reasons for that in my opinion is your attitude. Actually MORE pressure needs to be put on kids, not less. Kids in this generation are in trouble because of the old cliche, "everybody gets a trophy" etc. To truly summarize it....this generation isn't allowed to deal with anxiety, stress, or major challenging issues that require initiative at a young age. In stead, we teach them to take a pill before learning the coping mechanisms of how to deal with stress and what later becomes.......life. Therefore, I respect agree with your concern about these young men and I truly mean that, but I disagree 100% in your approach. There is little to zero pressure. In Africa, many kids have nothing to eat and have 1 parent who dies of AIDS and one of who is about to die. In Afghanistan, one kid lost his brother to a landmine and his father is putting pressure on him to strap a missile to himself and blow himself and others up to get revenge. In parts of Asia, a 12 year old girl is worried about her fathers recent decision to prostitute her. See my point? Worrying about "performing" in a High School Football isn't stress when we compare it to what is true stress and truly concerning.

Preach it!!! I agree

Kids are not failing, we are failing them. More pressure, I have a student that lost his brother in an accident, one that just lost his mother in a rollover and now has to raise his little brother, and a girl that has a mother that is dying of cancer and misses a lot of school to take care of her. I'm sorry but I just don't buy the more pressure idea.

Disagree with you and actually believe you are 100% wrong and that your way of thinking is one of the reasons our kids are failing across the country when looking at most statistical measures of success and happiness.  Drug use, teen pregnancy rates, teen dropout rates, teenage crime, jobless rates among recent graduates, etc.....most measure show a generation that is in serious trouble when comparing this generation to historic generations.  One of the reasons for that in my opinion is your attitude.  Actually MORE pressure needs to be put on kids, not less.  Kids in this generation are in trouble because of the old cliche, "everybody gets a trophy" etc.  To truly summarize it....this generation isn't allowed to deal with anxiety, stress, or major challenging issues that require initiative at a young age.  In stead, we teach them to take a pill before learning the coping mechanisms of how to deal with stress and what later becomes.......life.  Therefore, I respect agree with your concern about these young men and I truly mean that, but I disagree 100% in your approach.  There is little to zero pressure.  In Africa, many kids have nothing to eat and have 1 parent who dies of AIDS and one of who is about to die.  In Afghanistan, one kid lost his brother to a landmine and his father is putting pressure on him to strap a missile to himself and blow himself and others up to get revenge.  In parts of Asia, a 12 year old girl is worried about her fathers recent decision to prostitute her.  See my point?  Worrying about "performing" in a High School Football isn't stress when we compare it to what is true stress and truly concerning.  

Spot on.  Nice to see other people "get it."  And posted in a classy manner that is difficult to offer an argument. 

Well let me ask those that do "get it". What are you doing to help this failing generation? Coaching, Big brother/sister, Sunday school teacher, Donate time for after school projects, working the Teen Center, or just complaining about how bad this generation is getting.  

It's not the current generation's fault. They are only an image of the example set before them. Start by looking in the mirror and stop blaming the kids. It's a trend that was started a couple generations ago and now we are reaping the results. Hard times and hard work build good character and work ethic. It can not be coddled into existence. Just look at the view of most of this generation. "Ask not what you can do for your country but what you country can do for you." You are owed nothing just for existing. Only hard work should be rewarded. Ask many employers what they have to deal with just getting people to show up every day to give an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. This is a result of the things that start with activities such as sports. It is the same as missing practice, not respecting the coaches authority or decisions, breaking the law and school/team rules and then being allowed to play Friday night because our precious reputation as a football power house is at stake. We get what we ask for.

It's not the current generation's fault. They are only an image of the example set before them. Start by looking in the mirror and stop blaming the kids. It's a trend that was started a couple generations ago and now we are reaping the results. Hard times and hard work build good character and work ethic. It can not be coddled into existence. Just look at the view of most of this generation. "Ask not what you can do for your country but what you country can do for you." You are owed nothing just for existing. Only hard work should be rewarded. Ask many employers what they have to deal with just getting people to show up every day to give an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. This is a result of the things that start with activities such as sports. It is the same as missing practice, not respecting the coaches authority or decisions, breaking the law and school/team rules and then being allowed to play Friday night because our precious reputation as a football power house is at stake. We get what we ask for.

^^^This right here.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of hearing about whose fault it is when something goes bad. This conversation is just another example of it. The pressure that needs to be put on these kids should be focused on responsibility for their own actions. Sports are the perfect platform to teach that.

"Well let me ask those that do "get it". What are you doing to help this failing generation? Coaching, Big brother/sister, Sunday school teacher, Donate time for after school projects, working the Teen Center, or just complaining about how bad this generation is getting." 

Yes mrb...I do some of these and a few more that most aren't willing to do. BUT...there is no need to go into that because it is about the children. I won't ask anyone to speak up, because those of us that do these things for kids really don't give a crap who knows about it. The ONLY reason I responded to this is because you asked and I felt a bit offended that somebody would question it. I would hope that most of the posters on here help out in at least some capacity.

Well let me ask those that do "get it". What are you doing to help this failing generation? Coaching, Big brother/sister, Sunday school teacher, Donate time for after school projects, working the Teen Center, or just complaining about how bad this generation is getting.  

I wont go into detail but my career is devoted to trying to make a difference in the next generation.

I think barondawg is right, I would be willing to bet most of the regular posters on here are involved with helping develop the next generation in one way or another.

No one is, nor will, argue your point.  However, I think you grossly missed the point of cwood's original post.  You see, AIDS, starvation, landmines, and prostitution are some pretty serious comparisons to a GAME.  Yes, a GAME.  A game we compete.  We win some.  We lose some.  We embrace comradery and competition.  It isn't supposed to be stressful.  It's supposed to teach the value of teamwork, dedication, individual hard work and selflessness, pride, grace in victory, and honor in defeat.  Everyone does, in fact, get a trophy.  They learn.  It's not supposed to be anything remotely close to the things you mentioned, and I certainly don't believe that was the point that was even brought up. 

Our communities, forums, social media, etc make it much more demanding on kids nowadays.  It's unnecessary.  I can remember being a 9 year old 4th grader and having the community tell kids my age that we were going to bring George Wythe it's first state championship.  At age 9.  Over a game.  I can only imagine what it would be like with message boards calling for "x" player needing to be benched because he's only playing over "y" due to politics, or publicly calling for a coaches job.  It's unnecessary for a game amongst kids.

You're talking about life.  Things that are learned at home, in church, in schools, and thru growing up.  To even remotely equate those things you mentioned in comparison to a game tells me you are a part of the problem.  Relax, man.  I love football.  Best game in the world.  But it's JUST football. 

No matter what you think about this topic or what you do to personally address the issue; no one can argue that there is an issue.  Just look at our political system.  Most people used to work for a living.  Now MANY vote for a living.  Vote for the person who promises to give you the most, regardless of your need or ability to gain it yourself.  Back in the day, if you played sports, you practiced hard and HOPED to get playing time.  Now, I hear parents all the time saying that little johnny has to play because little johnny is little johnny (the I get mine and don't worry about the team mentality).

I recently heard a mom and dad rip into an assistant coach because little johnny wasn't playing enough.  Little johnny stood right there behind mom/dad with a smirk on his face.  Guess what, little johnny is a starter now.  If my parents would have done that, I would have been too embarrassed to show up again.

I am not sure there is as much pressure on kids to perform/succeed as much as there is for them to "get theirs".  Doesn't seem to matter that "getting theirs" seems to mean "give me mine regardless of the effort I put forth". 

I used to think reality would eventually catch some of these kids and their families...but it looks like reality is changing to match their attitudes. 

I like it, a lot of different points of view but 2 main lines of thought. And the beautiful thing is I don't think anyone has made it personal and I don't think anyone is taking it personal. Things aren't where we all agree they should be, the kids are suffering because of it and changes need to be made for the sake of the kids. Cant complain about that.

My only comment will be that BOTH parents AND kids need to learn to "suck it up" and keep on keeping on.  Life's not fair and the sooner everyone realizes that the better off we ALL will be.  Accept your role in life or change it.  Not by manipulation, bribery, or ass kissing.  Earn it.  You can rationalize everything but the truth remains.  We ALL want what we feel is best for our kids...as we should.  But "giving" them what's best for them is far different from them realizing it on their own and then going and getting it.  The kids ability to realize it comes from parenting and proper discipline.  I'm guilty of it as well.  I bought my son his first car (nothing real nice).....I had to buy my own back in the day.  Busted my ass to get it too.  But, we always tell ourselves that we want better for our kids so we help them too much some times.  I fully believe media doesn't help the situation in the least and the "instant gratification" world we live in doesn't help either.  Its a battle everyday raising kids.... and we as parents will occasionally lose a battle.....we just gotta make sure we win the war. 

My only comment will be that BOTH parents AND kids need to learn to "suck it up" and keep on keeping on.  Life's not fair and the sooner everyone realizes that the better off we ALL will be.  Accept your role in life or change it.  Not by manipulation, bribery, or ass kissing.  Earn it.  You can rationalize everything but the truth remains.  We ALL want what we feel is best for our kids...as we should.  But "giving" them what's best for them is far different from them realizing it on their own and then going and getting it.  The kids ability to realize it comes from parenting and proper discipline.  I'm guilty of it as well.  I bought my son his first car (nothing real nice).....I had to buy my own back in the day.  Busted my ass to get it too.  But, we always tell ourselves that we want better for our kids so we help them too much some times.  I fully believe media doesn't help the situation in the least and the "instant gratification" world we live in doesn't help either.  Its a battle everyday raising kids.... and we as parents will occasionally lose a battle.....we just gotta make sure we win the war. 

Bingo!  Kids today are spoiled rotten. 

Cant we just all get along!!! Life is to short for this!

I would never harbor a hard felling towards anyone on this board. (except maybe G-Man lol). I just hope we can all get these kids back on the right track. 

A well respected friend of mine told me that there are two types of people in this world, producers and consumers.  I am no consumer.  To answer your question, and it is a fair question.  I have ran the youth football program in Richlands since 2008 and coached since 2005.  I have one son who is almost 2 years old.  Most would say the most satisfying part of coaching youth is seeing them have success.  I find that only half true.  I enjoy seeing them succeed after failing.  Overcoming adversity.  Getting up after getting beat down.  Preparing them for life through football.