Virginia High @ Richlands II

V-Cats

And yet when I played Basketball for VHS, we went up against Appalachia and had their students using the "N-word" at our black players, had Gate City fans throw rocks at our bus, and had the air let out of the tires there, but no, we're the ones full of "problems". 

It didn't happen just in Appy/GC.  I played for VHS in the late 70's to early 80s.  One particular school of note (starts with a G) had a row of grown men hanging on the fence "counting crows" as we entered the field.  The racial slurs were common place, multiple and for a bunch 16-17 year olds, sometimes scary. 

If you want the Richlands fan site, there is one. This is not a Richlands fan site. Bluefield has the most posters, they just seem to have hidden this year. You are getting as fair a shake as one can get. Some fan bases have more fans and that's just a fact of life.

Never said I wasn't getting a fair shake.

If its not respect you guys are after then what exactly is this all about? Richlands and Marion fans picked the Tornado to win and a few VHS fans too offense to it(mainly to the comments by Canes00) Thats what I see, maybe I need to re-read it.   If you have a problem with a poster then keep your comments directed to him and not to Richlands or Marion in general. (not specifically directed at you jblank). Truth is Jethro(VHS) and Canes00(MHS) like to make inflamatory comments, to get people riled up and see what happens. Some people just want to watch the world burn(a little Batman for you guys)

I had a nice long response but I deleated it, its not important. whats above is what matters. After re-reading the thread Jethro and Canes00 made a couple of comments, whitch were responded to by fans from both Marion and Virginia who took offense and protected their communities. Dont let 2 blowhards ruin what was a solid conversation about what is sure to be a GREAT game.

and this isint a Richlands fan site, the 2 guys who run it are from Graham and Grundy. Although alot of the regular posters are from Richlands(imo because as this site took off so did Richlands football). There are people from all over SWVA on here, although most of the top posters are from Richlands. Haysi, Hurley, Twin Valley, Honaker, Clintwood, Central, Union, Giles, Galax, Battle, Virginia, Marion, Holston, and the list goes on are repsented.

I objected to Canes00 based on comments made by him, toward our team and fans, over the last few weeks, yes, I admit that. I also have a problem with people claiming it is "absurd" to pick us to win against Richlands. That's it, that is all the beef I have ever had.

Hey it don't bother me like it does u guys when someone makes predictions that u don't like u guys take exception to it thinking va high is the cream of the crop around here it has always been like that not only in football but basketball and baseball and it gets old hearing about it

To steal your earlier quote, "truth hurt don't it"

Winning alone won't get you respect either, people might not want to play you at some point because they don't think they can beat you, doesn't mean they respect you.

Of course, I base all of this on just my personal experiences with Va High over the years...to me they have never had an ounce of class. Last time I was there, the student section behind the Hurley bench (basketball game) was taunting Coach Cooper to the point of trying to pick a fight and shouting "USA" whenever Dustin Waynick got the ball because they assumed he was some sort of foreigner, which he's not? I mean WTF? Who does that? 

That's just the last example, every time I've been around or involved with anything at Va High it's been something along those lines...I'm sure not "everyone" can be grouped in to one pile obviously, but sure seems like a lot of problems at VHS.

I would be careful about casting those stones...I can give you a whole bunch of first hand experience about "chants" from your fans that are a whole helluva lot worse than "USA".  And they came from grown men and fans and students.  I'd think twice about opening that can or worms on here. 

It didn't happen just in Appy/GC.  I played for VHS in the late 70's to early 80s.  One particular school of note (starts with a G) had a row of grown men hanging on the fence "counting crows" as we entered the field.  The racial slurs were common place, multiple and for a bunch 16-17 year olds, sometimes scary. 

I played at VHS in the early 90's same thing then, you just know those are your teammates, fight together and do the best you can. Leave it on the field and let idiots be who they want to be.

As a general rule, if you're having to defend your position repeatedly, you're probably having a problem communicating in the first place.  Either that, or you're just wrong.

"Methinks thou doest protest too much".

And you're entitled to believe that, OR it could be that people aren't used to seeing fans of some schools fight back rather than sit and take it.

As a general rule, if you're having to defend your position repeatedly, you're probably having a problem communicating in the first place.  Either that, or you're just wrong.

"Methinks thou doest protest too much".

And you're entitled to believe that, OR it could be that people aren't used to seeing fans of some schools fight back rather than sit and take it.

There has never been a shortage of dialog on this website, and there has never been any fan base that has resigned itself to "sit and take it".  But rarely has there been a thread that exemplifies posters who insist on having the last word as this one does.  It's not so much about  the school you support, it's more about your arrogant, dogmatic attitude.     

There has never been a shortage of dialog on this website, and there has never been any fan base that has resigned itself to "sit and take it".  But rarely has there been a thread that exemplifies posters who insist on having the last word as this one does.  It's not so much about  the school you support, it's more about your arrogant, dogmatic attitude.     

Oh give me a freakin' break. That is as full of shit a comment as I've ever read on here. You go read the posts made in the last few weeks, directed at us VHS fans, particularly by a certain person, and then come back and put this all on me. What a joke.

I'm ready to stop all this, drop every bit of it, and get back to the game, but certain people only seem interested in coming at us as individuals, rather than talking about what could happen on the field. That said, if a person is coming at me directly, I'm going to respond in kind, and not simply let it go.

I leave it up to them.

I objected to Canes00 based on comments made by him, toward our team and fans, over the last few weeks, yes, I admit that. I also have a problem with people claiming it is "absurd" to pick us to win against Richlands. That's it, that is all the beef I have ever had.

Its definately not absurd to think VHS has a shot at beating Richlands. They stand a very good chance, Richlands doesent have a win as impressive as VHS's over Gretna.

Richlands is healthy and has finally become comftorable in their new offense, Virginia has really started clicking on Offense. Should be a fun one to watch. Imo advantage goes to Richlands simply because they have been in big games before, VHS hasnt(same worry I have about my Tigers)

I agree, in fact, you could make a case this is a more challenging game than Gretna. I think we have an uphill battle, no doubt, and it might take an A+ kind of game, all the way around, for us to win. I'd sure like to have this game at home.

Thats part of the reason I was really excited when Haysi pulled the #1 seed. Having those big games at home helps alot for a team thats not used to these type of games. Fortunately for Haysi they have played in front of 2 packed houses this season in HUGE games. having those 2 at home was invaluable

I think coaching is going to be a big factor in that VHS' staff has quite a bit of history with Richland's HC.  Of course, they had the same history when they played earlier and Richlands still won.  But VHS has made a few personnel changes that have paid huge dividends.  I just keep getting this sneaky little feeling that VHS can pull this one out.  This is no knock at all on Richlands HC or his staff.  They have done wonderful things for a decade

Another thing no one has mentioned:  I remember when VHS dropped to "A" a few years ago and a lot of people thought they would walk to the baseball title year in year out (at least on a lot on the message boards).  Didn't happen.  There was a lot of talk that Richlands entry into 2A would give them the same kind of success at this level.  It is hard constantly having the target on your back.  You usually get the oppositions best punch.  Richlands may well win the state and if they do, I think it would be one of the more impressive runs due to all the expectations coming in. 

I don't think it has anything to do with a target on richlands back. They are a little down talent wise, most importantly Div 2 prior to the new classifications was constantly tougher the past couple of years in this area. The road is just tougher now than in the past. The richlands team from day when Devon Johnson was a jr or senior would walk through these playoffs.

I just remember thinking last year when the new classifications were set that Richlands had to be the odds on favorite going into this season, just based on their recent past and that they would be playing schools with lower enrollments than in the past come playoff time.

If its not respect you guys are after then what exactly is this all about? Richlands and Marion fans picked the Tornado to win and a few VHS fans too offense to it(mainly to the comments by Canes00) Thats what I see, maybe I need to re-read it. If you have a problem with a poster then keep your comments directed to him and not to Richlands or Marion in general. (not specifically directed at you jblank). Truth is Jethro(VHS) and Canes00(MHS) like to make inflamatory comments, to get people riled up and see what happens. Some people just want to watch the world burn(a little Batman for you guys)

I had a nice long response but I deleated it, its not important. whats above is what matters. After re-reading the thread Jethro and Canes00 made a couple of comments, whitch were responded to by fans from both Marion and Virginia who took offense and protected their communities. Dont let 2 blowhards ruin what was a solid conversation about what is sure to be a GREAT game.

and this isint a Richlands fan site, the 2 guys who run it are from Graham and Grundy. Although alot of the regular posters are from Richlands(imo because as this site took off so did Richlands football). There are people from all over SWVA on here, although most of the top posters are from Richlands. Haysi, Hurley, Twin Valley, Honaker, Clintwood, Central, Union, Giles, Galax, Battle, Virginia, Marion, Holston, and the list goes on are repsented.

Normally I am pretty laid back on this board and most people on here knows that I have met some nice guys on here from richlands Ryan BlueRazor and Bigrhsfan to name a few so when u say I like to get people riled up that's really not the truth

I don't think it has anything to do with a target on richlands back. They are a little down talent wise, most importantly Div 2 prior to the new classifications was constantly tougher the past couple of years in this area. The road is just tougher now than in the past. The richlands team from day when Devon Johnson was a jr or senior would walk through these playoffs.

Had Richlands dropped 2 cycles ago (4 years), we could very well be talking Richlands as a 4 or 5 time state champion instead of a two time one.

As for this year, had Baker not went down, Richlands is 9-1 heading into the playoffs as a 2 seed. With Baker in at QB, the Union game goes the other way and I think we could have beaten Bluefield as well. We held our own up there for 2 1/2 quarters, and I whole heartedly believe Baker is the best QB in the area. We had nothing for Botetourt though. That was a buzz saw.

That's just the way I see it anyways.