Devon Johnson

mriguy74

I wish nothing but the best for this young man.  I have always enjoyed watching Marshall play, ever since the days of Randy Moss when they visited ETSU.  I enjoyed watching Bradshaw run the rock at Marshall. I really like watching local kids succeed.  Hopefully he can continue his career once it is over at Marshall.

Brian Woodsonâ€@bdtwoodson9 mins9 minutes agoWest Virginia, US

No. 22/23 Marshall survives thanks to Devon Johnson, 35-16. The Thundering Herd improves to 8-0 on the season.

Brian Woodsonâ€@bdtwoodson12 mins12 minutes agoWest Virginia, US

Devon Johnson scores for a fourth time on a 7-yard run to the end zone. He now has a school record 272 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports25 mins25 minutes ago

Devon Johnson named player of the game over PA system. Fans at Edwards Stadium go crazy as picture flashes on scoreboard

Allen Gregoryâ€@Greg_BHCSports45 mins45 minutes ago

Former Richlands star Devon Johnson today at Marshall. Oh my goodness. I hope Southwest Virginia fans saw this guy in high school.

great state

Below you tube video...his 4 TDs performance

Jim Saccoâ€@Sacco_BHCSports9m9 minutes ago

Johnson has record-setting day for Marshall. (photos via AP and VHS grad D. Bradley Helton). http://www.tricities.com/gallery/collection_8963bf84-5caf-11e4-b076-0017a43b2370.html?mode=nogs … pic.twitter.com/pq69XMnO7E

B01iaMyCAAAq2ik.jpg

Jim Saccoâ€@Sacco_BHCSports16 hrs16 hours ago

Nothing new at Marshall, writes @Hayes_BHCSports #LocalsInCollege #LocalsinPros

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_27e806e6-5f1d-11e4-9eb8-001a4bcf6878.html … pic.twitter.com/m4X1hXnyDz

B1FrEQgCYAAcpu2.jpg

great state
  •  
  •  Storyline about Ahmad and Devon...good read

• 3 weeks later...

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports15 mins15 minutes ago

Devon Johnson (Richlands) of Marshall does it again: 9 carries, 117 yards; 3 receptions, 79 yards, 2 TDs today vs. Rice

Jim Saccoâ€@Sacco_BHCSports1 hr1 hour ago

We see you, in-the-air Devon Johnson. #HCFC #localsincollege pic.twitter.com/8vWf4OjTKJ

B2hFxhPCMAAAkBU.jpg

•  great state

I am so proud of Devon and his accomplishments, not just because he is a Richlands grad (that does factor in some), but his work ethic and his humility.  To see him after scoring a TD,  shaking the O line's hands,  it makes you know this is a young man with special talent on the field, but also shows his character in life. 

It was a thrill to see him playing while a Blue, now etching his name in the record books at Marshall and being nominated for this outstanding award. 

CONGRATS DEVON!!!

GOD BLESS THIS YOUNG MAN IN ALL HIS FUTURE ENDEAVORS!!!

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:41 pm

Watching Johnson Staff report bdtonline.com

Marshall running back Devon Johnson, a graduate of Richlands High, was named on Tuesday to the Maxwell Award Watch List. The award has been presented annually to the national college football player of the year since 1937. The 2015 Maxwell Watch List includes 80 players. Johnson’s bullish running accounted for 1,767 yards last season, second most in Thundering Herd history. His 8.58 yards per carry topped all FBS running backs who carried more than 150 times. He had 10 games with at least 100 rushing yards in Marshall’s 13-1 season. Semifinalists for the 2015 Maxwell Award will be announced Nov. 2, while names of the three finalists will be unveiled Nov. 23. Johnson and the Herd will open the 2015 season on Sunday, Sept. 6 (Labor Day weekend) at 3 p.m. against Purdue at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. The Boilermakers will be the first Big Ten Conference football team to visit Huntington.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x45920218/Johnson-named-to-Doak-Walker-Award-list

Johnson named to Doak Walker Award list
Jul. 17, 2015 @ 12:01 AM

By GRANT TRAYLOR

HUNTINGTON - Marshall University running back Devon Johnson is once again in the national spotlight.

Johnson was named Thursday to the 2015 Doak Walker Award Watch List, an honor given to the nation's top running back.

There are 69 players on the Watch List, which is headed by the PwC SMU Athletic Forum.

His inclusion does not come as a surprise after he was one of 10 semifinalists for the award in the 2014 season.

The 6-foot-1, 243-pound senior from Richlands, Va., has garnered the most preseason attention for the Thundering Herd.

• 2 weeks later...

Johnson looking for another great year at Marshall

Posted: Jul 27, 2015 10:54 PM EDT

By A.J. Good, WVVA Sports Director

Coach Holliday has a "sense of humor"...

excerpt:

About a year ago Marshall head coach Doc Holliday needed a spark at the running back position so he turned to tight end Devon Johnson, which turned out to be one of the best decisions he's ever made.  "I wanted guys I could count on.  I wanted guys that football was important to them and they were tough to provide some leadership in that room.  I'm not real smart as a coach.  I should've done that about two years ago but I'm a slow learner."

• 2 weeks later...

The following is an outstanding article about Devon...from his youth to moving to Richlands and now being at Marshall...

by Derek Redd from WV Gazette Mail

Herd’s Johnson blossoms out of obscurity, into national spotlight https://shar.es/1tqzbo  via @sharethis #LocalsInCollege #Marshall

great state

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

Tim Hayes Retweeted First Coast News

Could Jacksonville be a possible landing spot for Richlands High School graduate Devon Johnson?

First Coast News: East-West Shrine Game: Running backs on both sides could appeal to Jaguars. STORY: http://fcnews.tv/23cEk4q 

Tim Hayes Retweeted

Devon Johnson is getting some huge praise from these NFL scouts #ShrineGame

Tim Hayes Retweeted

NFCE scout impressed by Marshall RB Devon Johnson burst thru hole and extra gear. Scribbling ++ on his notes. #shrinegame

Tim Hayes Retweeted

Devon Johnson is a 'truck' but has some Bettis-ness to him. Definitely more than a goal line, short yardage guy. Has some solid speed. #Boom

Cowboys Draft, RB/FB Devon Johnson: Two Birds - One Stone

http://sportdfw.com/...irds-one-stone/

by Reid Hanson