Coaching changes

Single A west

What I was told the day I made that post was that he was indeed one of James's assistants. I also didn't go any further with it. We did retain 2 assistants from his staff as well as many others that either aren't paid or aren't teachers and are just paid per game, many of which don't have sons on the team, at least not yet. However, none of this is relevant, being how much respect the players have for Tiller and how much they all actually like him. Yes he is a first time HC, so the upcoming season will likely be a rocky one and possibly not the miracle season some may want. But the respect that he has for the boys and the respect he has from them will go far. I think Wythe County and Robbie Patton got it right. I just hope everyone is patient with him and gives him a chance to prove he can do the job and do it well. He has a great resume and deserves the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you would consider it a coaching change or not but....former Graham stand out Chris Austin has apparently been named O-line coach for the G-Men.

School board approved fall coaches last Monday and he wasn't on the list.

I was going off what was posted on "The Book." Lol So take it for what it's wort

It may be possible that Austin is on the staff, but the school board wouldn't be able to approve it until their next meeting.

As of now assistants are:  Gray, Goins, Dixon and Leftwich.

• 1 month later...

• 8 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

I was told by a friend that Todd Tiller called Chris Akers and ask to be on his staff at Gate City and that Akers refused can anyone confirm this?

Why would a young coach rebuilding a once respected program leave after one season to assist a program that has potentially set itself up for failure?

No offense intended to Gate City fans but a divided fan base will rip the program appart if they can't come together around Akers.

I am with GMAN, I call BS!

Can't confirm but I call BS...

I was told basically the same thing. There had been a rumor that Gate City OFFERED Tiller DC, but I have since found out that wasn't true. An assistant from a Wythe Co school was offered the position and he asked if Tiller turned it down and was told they didn't want Tiller up there. I didn't know until a week ago that Tiller still lives out that way.

Also, last I heard, Rural Retreat hasn't announced any of their coaching staff yet.

Why would a young coach rebuilding a once respected program leave after one season to assist a program that has potentially set itself up for failure?

No offense intended to Gate City fans but a divided fan base will rip the program appart if they can't come together around Akers.

I am with GMAN, I call BS!

Tiller still lives near Gate City. I don't think he's 100% committed to the success of FC. And my guess would be, if he doesn't produce a winning record this upcoming season, he won't be in FC beyond 2016-17.

Tiller still lives near Gate City. I don't think he's 100% committed to the success of FC. And my guess would be, if he doesn't produce a winning record this upcoming season, he won't be in FC beyond 2016-17.

Is this fact or a "not one of our guys" situation like that of past Fort Chiswell coaching staffs prior to James?

Seems like a lot of programs are their own worst enemies! I mean, this is the same program that ran Willis White out of town.

Is this fact or a "not one of our guys" situation like that of past Fort Chiswell coaching staffs prior to James?

Seems like a lot of programs are their own worst enemies! I mean, this is the same program that ran Willis White out of town.

It is a fact that he commutes daily from in or near Gate City to FC. Pure speculation that he's not 100% committed, based on him not relocating. I could very well be reading too much into it. I'm sure his lack of HC experience contributes as well.

FC's principal is leaving for Grayson Co at the end of the year, the assistant principal is going to Rural Retreat and FC is getting Baker from GW as new principal. We shall see how things work out with all the changes going on. I hear Baker is tough and set in his ways. Rumors are flying already about things he wants to change at FCHS. Will be interesting to see.

This is Coach Tiller. First off I do not live in or near Gate City. I live in Abingdon which is an hour from FC and 50 mins from GC so yes technically I live closer to GC. My 85 yr old grandfather lives in Abingdon as well and he is currently in bad health so I choose to stay close to him to help out. Not that is any of your business also we live close to my wife's family who are able to help with our 2 small children again not that is any of your business but that is why I am currently not relocating to FC but with the wonderful hospitality you are displaying how could I not resist moving to FC immediately. Also the rumor of me going to or asking to,go to GC. Well I have a text from Coach Akers asking if I would consider being on his staff. So come up to me and I would love to show you in person. As far as being commuted to the success of FC I just have to laugh you can have your opinion because I do not care what you think of my coaching. I just want to say I am,glad you are so,concerned with the success of FC that you want to go on a message board and bash people instead of actually coming to a person and asking them or talking to them. Clearly you are not a representation of the FC community several that are great people and wonderful to be around. I will not be back on here to see your reply so if you want to just come to the school and talk to me in person. Thank you for the support.

Wow. Ok. If you read the other topics as well, you would see that everyone has opinions on every football program in SW Virginia. I love my Pioneers, and have basically my entire life. And while I can't speak for everyone else on these boards, I did clarify that most (certainly not all, but MOST) of what I said was speculation and that I may also be reading too much into it. Last time I checked personally, that translates to "I may be wrong." You will also note that earlier in this feed, I also made note of the respect you already had from the team and that I was looking forward to where the team could go, but that I also expected there to be the transition period for everyone to mesh together. I'm well known for admitting when I'm wrong. And for that, I apologize. It was not MY intention to upset anyone, least of all, the coach.

I am sorry to hear of your grandfather's poor health. I lost my grandmother recently and have full understanding of what it means to be close to them to help with their care. I wouldn't trade the time I spent with her for all the money in the world. And I commend you for your commitment to his care. I also understand what it means to be close to other family as well, as I have lived in Wythe Co my entire life because of the proximity to my own family, but also because of the amazing community that I grew up in, and am proud to have my children grow up in. I can't imagine living anywhere else in the world.

I attended FC way back when, when our football team was lucky to win 3 or 4 games. I can assure you that even then, I'd go home from games barely able to talk for days from screaming for my team. I bleed black and gold regardless of the record or the coach or anything else. I am no fair weather fan. While I don't attend a high number of games like some do, I still anticipate scores and game updates from others and sit on the edge of my seat during radio broadcasts (when we are lucky enough to get the coverage over other county schools.) I could really go to town on THAT topic but I won't because it is irrelevant to the topic of conversation.

Again, I won't speak for others here, but it was not my intention to step on any toes or to appear that FC has any less than my 110% commitment to support. And for that, I am sorry. Apparently, the person I have been talking to was also misinformed of the facts and I will make them aware of what you said. I am sure that this person also meant no malice and was simply relaying information they had received. Rest assured that you and the team (and the school) have my unconditional support each and every day. Thank you for clarifying things for us all, even though you didn't have to. I am not so patiently waiting for the upcoming season to start and once again look forward to seeing what's in store for us in the future.

Good to hear from you coach. I would suggest being careful with posting on this or any site. You have little to gain and much more to lose.

Lots of people commute for lots of reasons. I live in Galax near where my wife grew up and worked in Roanoke for a long time.

Best of luck to you as you bring Fort back to where it deserves to be. A rising tide lifts all boats. When Galax, Grayson and Fort are at their best, everyone benefits.

I always get a kick out of folks outside of GC knowing more (or thinking they do) than those around the program or town of GC. I'm also curious as to how GC has set itself up for failure.

No offense intended and I did say potentially. Just seems like a lot of consenting opinions, loud ones at that, concerning the coaching choice.

Point being, a divided community can tear a program apart.

I wouldn't say the community is divided. Actually the community is anxious to see what happens. You're always going to have a handful that will complain about everything. It was no different when Colobro was hired, and I'd say he worked out pretty well. August 26th, Legion Field will be packed again and all this other stuff will be forgotten.

August 26th, Legion Field will be packed again and all this other stuff will be forgotten.

I can't be there.....first Richlands/GC game I will miss in a LONG time. Salem has their last homestand of the season that weekend and that'll knock me out of making the trip.

*insert crying gif here*

I wouldn't say the community is divided. Actually the community is anxious to see what happens. You're always going to have a handful that will complain about everything. It was no different when Colobro was hired, and I'd say he worked out pretty well. August 26th, Legion Field will be packed again and all this other stuff will be forgotten.

I know a few members of the Galax staff think highly of Akers from his time at Rural Retreat.  It is often difficult to tell just how a coaching change is going based on a message board.  We often hear from the vocal minority while the silent majority are out in support of the program.  

I believe, if given a chance to succeed, he will do good things.  

I know a few members of the Galax staff think highly of Akers from his time at Rural Retreat. It is often difficult to tell just how a coaching change is going based on a message board. We often hear from the vocal minority while the silent majority are out in support of the program.

I believe, if given a chance to succeed, he will do good things.

my only question, is can he make it thru this year? Nothing against him but gc is down.