Ridgeview Football

Dick_Vitale

Am I the only one that thinks they will struggle in the coming years? 

I know the past success of both foot rich communities of Clintwood and Haysi but this is not single a ball anymore. They are going to have to compete with teams who are much bigger and stronger. Sure Gate City, Richlands, Union, Giles, Glenvar, etc aren't that much bigger but neither Clintwood nor Haysi played a AA school last year, and if they did they were not a competitive AA school. 

Do I think Ridgeview will ever be competitive? Maybe in time but I feel like everyone is already putting this school in the same category as Gate City, Richlands, Giles, etc and they haven't even taken a snap! Their current schedule is average to above average at best.

Just my two cents from a long time lurker to the forum...

I know the past success of both foot rich communities of Clintwood and Haysi but this is not single a ball anymore. They are going to have to compete with teams who are much bigger and stronger. Sure Gate City, Richlands, Union, Giles, Glenvar, etc aren't that much bigger but neither Clintwood nor Haysi played a AA school last year, and if they did they were not a competitive AA school.

Do I think Ridgeview will ever be competitive? Maybe in time but I feel like everyone is already putting this school in the same category as Gate City, Richlands, Giles, etc and they haven't even taken a snap! Their current schedule is average to above average at best.

I didn't put them in my area top 10 for this exact reason. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me it will be harder than what many expect life to be in AA ball. So until I see a few games worth of results, I'm reluctant to give too much hype and praise.

If I'm wrong, I'll more than gladly admit it. But I feel like this team may be 2-3 years away from that long march in Nov/Dec.

I too worry about the schedule. If you're going to play AA, you need to play a heavy AA schedule and then play only heavyweight A teams.

Richlands doesn't play an A team unless you count the benefit game. And even then, it's a perennial top 10 team in Honaker. So scheduling looks to be an issue to me. I understand old rivalries with some of the A clubs, but this is a new day.

Clintwood played 2 AA schools last year in Union and Central. They played 7 AA schools in 2011 and 2012. They won 13 out of 14 of those games, including beating Gate City. Clintwood's line was every bit as big as Richlands in 11 and 12. Haysi did play 1 AA school last year in Grundy.

Just saying

While Clintwood and Haysi are stepping up from A they were both very relevant programs when closed. I don't know if they are going to set the world on fire. They could go 0-10 or 10-0. Either way...they scare me, if for no other reason than the potential that is there.

The only credible information you brought to the table was Clintwood played a streaky Union team that beat Richlands early on but fell off the wagon later in the season. 

My main focus is what both past programs are bringing to the table this year for Ridgeview. Didnt Clintwood graduate most of their better players? I know Haysi has a few returning but honestly do not think it will make a difference. 

The only credible information you brought to the table was Clintwood played a streaky Union team that beat Richlands early on but fell off the wagon later in the season. 

My main focus is what both past programs are bringing to the table this year for Ridgeview. Didnt Clintwood graduate most of their better players? I know Haysi has a few returning but honestly do not think it will make a difference. 

I wasn't trying to bring any "credible" information to the table, nor change your opinion. I merely brought FACTS about their schedule. Your choice as to whether or not you want to "dine".

Like I stated before...don't know what they're going to do this year. Just know they have the potential.

The Union team you said fell apart lost to the eventual state champs by 10 in a playoff game that could have went either way.

I think the general feeling is Ridgeview will be competitive in the coming season. A lot of people are looking forward to Ridgeview vs _______________ but thats just excitement, not really putting Ridgeview on the level of those teams.

Being AA doesnt necessarily make a team good; Haysi played Honaker, Galax, Tug Valley and Essex last season, 3 were in the state semis and all would be competitive with every team in the Mountain last season. Clintwood played and almost beat Union, a top team in the Mountain and did beat Central, a team that was very competitive in the Mountain.

Playing competition thats bigger and stronger wont be an issue(no team in SWVA was bigger up front than Essex and I doubt any was stronger than Galax), the issue will be playing that type of competition week in and week out. I believe thats part of having the A teams on the schedule, best to learn to swim before jumping into the deep end. 

The current players from Haysi and Clintwood arent used to playing tough schedules but the programs arent that far removed from playing D2 ball(playing a lot of current AA schools as VERY small D2 schools). The coaches will know how to prep the team for the challenges ahead. Its not like 2 weak A teams consolidated, were talking about Clintwood and Haysi, two of the top small school programs in SWVA. 

Clintwood graduated most of their Backs but have good young players coming up. Haysi graduated most of their linemen but return most of the backs.

I will say if Ridgeview would have consolidated last year or the year before they would have been viewed as one of the best teams from SWVA in both years. 

I think the Wolfpack will be competitive. I wont say they are gonna make it to any certain round of the playoffs but I do think they are a playoff team and potentially a candidate to host a playoff game. Maybe im wrong, we will see

I don't foresee the 2A competition being the deciding factor as to whether Ridgeview is successful on the field.  Clintwood, much like Haysi, Galax and other 1A schools who are competitive on a state level year in and year out, understand what dedication it takes to play at that level.  They have played lots of talented 2A schools in years past resulting in many more wins than losses.  The deciding factor will be team unity and continuity given two rivals are coming together to form one team.  

I believe Ridgeview will adjust and be competitive quicker than many outside of Dickenson County will like to see!

No judgment on how Ridgeview will be this season but as for compeating with AA Teams I would like to point out that since Union became a school Clintwood holds a better record against them than Richlands.

As to the future both Clintwood and haysi have some good young talent comeing up...so long as the coal econamey does not lead to another mass exodous of Dickenson County I look for them to be one of the top teams year in and year out.

Ridgeview/Union should be a great game (Union squeaked out a win over Clintwood last season Union looks to be better this year and there is no doubt that Ridgeview will be better than Clintwood was last season.)

Ridgeview/GC also one I am looking forward to Clintwood has not played GC in a while and when they were playing them did not have a great deal of success but there were lots of good games

Ridgeview/Paintsville Really looking forward to seeing how Ridgeview stacks up vs Pantvilles UK signee superstar

Ridgeview/Marion I have never seen a Marion game ever (One of the few local teams I can say that about)

RV/Lee Lee looked like world beaters starting out last season and adding GCs Stud Linebacker will do nothing but make them better

RV/Honaker - Should be specal for the Haysi kids and I look forward to getting to now be part of that rilvery

I hate throwing a record out there with no refrance to a teams returning starters But I think that I would be disapointed if Ridgeview does not finish at least 7-3 this season

No judgment on how Ridgeview will be this season but as for compeating with AA Teams I would like to point out that since Union became a school Clintwood holds a better record against them than Richlands.

Richlands has lost to Union once, I believe. Are you telling me Clintwood beat Union every time they played?

Richlands has lost to Union once, I believe. Are you telling me Clintwood beat Union every time they played?

'11 Richlands 24 Union 22               Clintwood 30 Union 26

'12 Richlands 32 Union 30               Clintwood 29 Union 7

'13 Union 27 Richlands 21               Clintwood 23 Union 21

'14 Union 29 Richlands 28               Union 19 Clintwood 13

I think Ridgeview will find their place in 2A football as a competitive team in seasons to come. Clintwood did beat Gate City in 2011 and 2012. Clintwood won state in 2011. Gate City in 2011 wasn't as good as 2010 and in 2012 was downright horrible. They were good in 2013 (but not cream of the crop) and did squeak by a good Union team. They almost overcame a 19-0 deficit against Union last season and won but a late interception doomed their last chance. 

Haysi was ok/decent for a few seasons up until a few years ago and they became very competitive in 1A West. The 1A East powers like Essex and Altavista were just better. 

Of course they may not come out competitive right off. That will take some time. If not this season then I'd say the following seasons. As far as how they will do in the Mountain District, they will give Union and Gate City fits but may come up short. 

Union wasn't all that great when they first started. It consisted of the programs from Powell Valley and Appalachia who were then shells of their former selves. Union started out the 2011 season okay. Just squeaking by Lee who was not really much. Then coming up short against a good Richlands team and beating Lebanon and Va High. They nearly fell apart in the middle of the season and finished out with a comeback win over Burton and beat Thomas Walker.

Ridgeview may have some kinks to work out as a new program (I don't know) but I believe they will be fine. 

I think 6-4 would be a great season......There is way more to winning than just the x and o on a chalk board in the fieldhouse. You have politics, parents, egoes, and administrations to deal with. You look at the consistently winning programs around here the Head Coach was a great admininstator in most cases.

That's one of the reasons Gate City has been the Gold Standard around here for twenty years running. They win no matter the talent because of the time, work the driving force of the tradition of not wanting to be average. The next group of guys is driven by the tradition of not wanting to be the team that loses the tradition. Winning is the goal but if you lose......you leave the field having giving it all. Gate City has done that in my opinion as well as anybody. I know for a fact the Gate City has been a big part in our mindset and tradition here.

I think that Ridgeview can be that and more. It want be easy but with the two teams past history the will is there if it can be enacted. I hope it does because I liked both programs very much and respected them. It won't be easy but they can do it!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Let me clarify one thing.....I said I think 6-4 would be a great season and I stand by that. That does not mean I don't think they can go 9-1. If they do look out!

I just don't believe they will beat Gate City or Union in year one. Union can beat anybody they line up against and should be like us....as the QB goes....so we go. Gate City will always be a tough win for most anybody.

We will see......its just all speculation right now. We all need about three weeks into the season to get a sense on how it will go for this season. Getting very excited and can't hardly wait to see how the West stacks up to the East this year.

SWVA football is what I love.......even pulling for the Falcons......lol

I may eat my words by the time this season is over with......but I feel like Ridgeview will go at least 7-3. Just my take on the matter but alot of people want to use Union as an example of why they think Ridgeview won't start out hot. Union didn't start out great and people say "look at who they put together......PV and Appy.....if those 2 teams don't win right out of the gate no one will". Well my take on it, it wasn't the PV and Appy teams of the late 80s and early 90s that were so dominant that were consolidated. The Jones brothers and Mabe, Turner, and Clark were long gone when they got stuck together. PV was up and down as of late before they consolidated and Appy did good to field 25 players it seemed like and they werent really competitive.....and i mean that with no disrespect. Now Union is a competitor however and doing pretty well as of late. This Ridgeview team is 2 teams put together that were both contenders last year and are bringing back quite a bit to the table. With the coach that they have at Ridgeview.....they won't have a choice but to gel and to have but one objective....and that's to win. If the kids act like they are having problems meshing with one another I'd be willing to wager their butts will ride the pine while someone else is on the field in their spot. Good coach but a no nonsense coach as well. With his type of coaching added with the success of the programs and the will of the kids to win I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be contenders from the start. The only problem I see would be for the coach to have to sit little Johnny who started for him last year only to have lil Timmy from the other school playing over him because he's better. Which turns out you have 2 good players at that position now.....so I'm thinking that's a good problem to have other than the one player who loses his starting spot. I think Ridgeview possibly makes a run in the playoffs. Not sure how the games will unfold against Union or GC but I don't think they will be blowouts by any means.

The biggest issue this year isn't going to be how well Ridgeview does.....they will do fine. The problem everyone is going to have is figuring out how to stop Richlands. If you don't get them early in the season then lookout!

But at any rate, excited to see how the new program unfolds at Ridgeview. Maybe start a whole new legacy of their own that's compatible to the other greats in SWVA. And most of all.....I'm ready to watch the boys play on that new field which looks like a small college stadium!!! Good luck to the Wolfpack and everyone else in the Souwestern Virginia. Ready to hear the pads popping!

'11 Richlands 24 Union 22 Clintwood 30 Union 26

'12 Richlands 32 Union 30 Clintwood 29 Union 7

'13 Union 27 Richlands 21 Clintwood 23 Union 21

'14 Union 29 Richlands 28 Union 19 Clintwood 13

I stand corrected. My bad I had forgotten we lost to them in 13. I was thinking we were 3-1.

Couldnt have said it better myself RiverRat.

Good point about PV and Appy. Appy was weak in their final seasons and PV was a shell of what they had been. Not the strong programs of legend. Im glad to see Union being as successful as they have been, a program with that kind of legacy shouldnt struggle. 

I think the goal this season is to be competitive. Stay in every game and let the chips fall where they may. I think thats a goal that can and will be achieved. 

I don't think Ridgeview being competitive will be a problem for them at all. They knew what it took last year and that's instilled in them....whether it be 1A or 2A you bring it all to the table and knowing what it takes to win will take care of itself....at that point either your good enough to win it all or your not. Whether they have it or not we will find out....but they know they have to be about their business. Competition will be tougher week in and week out is the only difference versus just having a 2A school in your schedule here and there. The MD has 4-5 solid teams in it now.

I want to see Ridgeview do great things. The more legacies and contenders we have in Southwest VA the less those the north east has to bump their gums about!!