SWVASports.com Fan Poll...Week 4 - NOW OPEN!!!

GMan

ok Ryan4VT, the reason I have Abingdon ahead of Richlands is how Abingdon defeated Blacksburg. Abingdon knew they we're gonna have their hands full with Blacksburg, but Abingdon was up for the challenge and in dramatic fashion won in OT. Richlands on the other hand, went up against a Wise Central team that has their spells on which Wise Central team shows up and Richlands destroyed a wise central team that wasn't up for the task to make it a game with Richlands. and im one of these people that like a close ball game, whether its a shoot-out or when both teams defense shows up.

1.  Pulaski Co. 

2.  Abingdon

3.  Union

4.  Richlands

5.  Radford

6.  Giles

7.  Bluefield

8.  Honaker

9.  VHS

10. George Wythe

I know it was pre-season......but does no one pay attention to this??  Giles won their benefit game rather convincingly.

•  

Cougars wrap up preseaon, look towards Northside

By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

DUBLIN – The Cougar football team took the field Friday in their final preseason matchup, hosting the Giles Spartans in a foundation game that saw the Cougars show signs of good and not so good things prior to falling by a final score of 28-19.11931012_1183820718310971_77810290936231

Giles started the scoring with a seven yard touchdown run by with 1:25 remaining in the first quarter. The point after kick put the Spartans up 7-0. The Spartans struck again with 7:28 remaining in the second quarter, this time with a six yard scoring run. Another kick through the uprights moved the score to 14-0.

Pulaski County finally began to put together some offense in the second quarter, and with 2:32 remaining in the half Hunter Thomas ran the ball across the goal line for a two yard touchdown. The PAT attempt was no good, leaving the Cougars trailing 14-6.

It looked like the Cougars would head to the locker room with that same score at the halftime break, but a 49 yard pass completion moved the ball to the Cougar 13 yard line with very little time remaining on the clock. With 13 seconds remaining in the half the Spartans took the ball across the goal line for a one yard score. The PAT gave Giles the 21-6 lead.

After a sneak peak at the halftime performance by the Golden Cougar Marching Band and what was likely a strong motivational speech in the locker room, Pulaski County came out playing much better football to start the second half. With 1:02 remaining in the third quarter Thomas took the ball into the end zone from 10 yards out for his second touchdown of the night. The two point conversion attempt failed leaving the Cougars trailing 21-12.

Giles put another score in the books with 7:54 remaining in the final quarter on a five yard run. That score and cramps from members of both teams convinced Coach James and Giles to begin working his backups.

The Cougars put senior Landen Lawson in at quarterback, but the drive stalled out. After the Cougar defenders stopped Giles on a fourth down, JV quarterback Kellen Dalton came in for what would be a one play drive that resulted in a 63 yard scoring run by Dontay Brown with 2:55 remaining. J.J. Anderson connected for the point after kick to put the score at 28-19.

“Obviously you want to win every time you walk out on the field,†said Cougar Head Coach Stephen James. “We spent about 25 or 30 minutes this week preparing for their single-wing offense. We just couldn’t afford to spend much more time on that considering the fact that we won’t see it again all season. We ran a base defense and worked our offense. I saw plenty of things we need to correct and improve on out there tonight, but we also did some things pretty good. I think we were shooting ourselves in the foot with dropped passes, missed passes, fumbled or bad snaps and some other missed opportunities. Take away those mistakes and correct a few things in our secondary and we did ok. Either way this is done now. We’re 0-0 and we’re going to look at the film, make our corrections and get ready for Northside.â€

Brown led the Cougar rushing attack, thanks to some late game runs, with five attempts for 87 yards. Hunter Thomas carried the ball 13 times for 56 yards. James Edmonds ran four times for 27 yards, Chase Huff ran one time for 23 yards and Bryant Grubb ran eight times for 12 yards.

The Cougars completed three of 12 pass attempts for 55 yards. Elliott Brewster caught one pass for 19 yards and Tyler Sechrist caught two passes for 36 yards.

In the junior varsity contest the Cougars finished with a 14-7 win. Seven different Cougars carried the ball, compiling 34 carries for 177 yards. A 5.2 yard per carry average will get the job done in most cases.

Kellen Dalton completed three of five passes for 73 yards and Noah O’Dell completed one of four passes for 32 yards with one interception. Mason Clark caught two passes for 51 yards, Connor Martin caught one for 22 yards and Levi Gray caught one pass for 32 yards.

Defensively the younger Cougars had a good outing as well, with Mason Clark earning an interception that set up the second Pulaski County score.

“It’s good that we can get our younger players a bunch of work on the JV squad and not have to pull them up right away,†said Coach James. “We’re rebuilding a program. The only way to get better at playing football is to work hard and play football the right way. I think we’ve got some good things going on here. We just need to put them all together and get some momentum. I’m excited about the season.â€

The Cougars officially kick off the 2015 season Friday when they travel to Northside High School to take on the Vikings. Game time is set for 7 p.m.

Pulaski is an undefeated 4A team.  Hard to go against that.  I will take a good 4A team over a good 1A-2A team just about every time...until they prove otherwise.  Pre-season games do not prove otherwise, IMHO.

I explained my rationale.  If they falter, I will adjust accordingly.  Too each his own...

By the way, I noticed that you did not post a ranking but only questioned those who are not giving Giles what you obviously feel is their just recognition.  Why not walk out on that limb instead of questioning those who have expressed an opinion? 

My politically correct SWVA randomly ranked football teams that I personally like but for no particular reason. (Please don't take offense if your team is not included in my poll. I am sure your team is great too! Remeber we are all winners!

* these are in no particular order so please don't

assume any team is better than another team.

1. TIE

Union, Richlands, Giles, Pulaski, Abingdon, Bluefield, Radford, Honaker, George Wythe, Lee

*others receiving consideration include

Grundy, Burton, Central, Graham, Tazewell, Twin Valley, Princeton, Galaxy, Grayson, Lebanon, Ridgeview, Rural Retreat, Chihowie, and Blacksburg, uhhhh, scratch Blacksburg that's not SWVA.

Sorry to ramble on and please don't comment. Some people already got reprimanded for commenting on the fan poll, but of coarse it seems to just depend on who it is with an opinion.

This poll quickly turned into a joke since you can't comment or have your own opinion. Trophies for everyone!

Discussion and debate should be open. What is the point if you can't discuss it and see how everyone gets to their top 10? No one got reprimanded.