Week 7 Power Points

greatwhitemp36

Not being a smart aleck here, but if that's the case then why are ranked 6th while being undefeated? Serious question.

It just simply comes down to wins by opponents. When a team wins a game they get 2 rider points for each win that their defeated opponent has. I just checked Lord Botetourt's schedule( the team directly in front of Abingdon). They have 6 wins, Abingdon has 6 wins, but LB has 26 rider points from their 6 wins. Abindgon only has 18. Base points aren't as huge as rider points in the grand scheme. Take the example below...

Beating a 1A out of district team that is 9-1 would get Abingdon 16 base points, 18 rider points, and 2 classification points for a total of 36 points.

Beating a 6A out of district team that is 0-10 would get Abingdon 26 base points, 0 rider points, and 0 classification points for a total of 26 points, or 10 LESS points than the 1A team.

The best way to get power points is to beat teams with winning records. Thus far, Abingdon's schedule has consisted of 4-1 win teams, 1 - 2 win team, and 1 - 3 win team. None have a winning record.

Thanks for the clarification guys.  But even still, if the Falcons win out based on the points system it doesnt appear they can get much higher in the 3A state rankings than 10th.  Based on who they play.  The only team left on the schedule with winning record is Richlands.  I guess it is what it is. 

I know this, There has been alot of 3A coaches that have been seen scouting the Falcons at Falcon Field in recent weeks.  So I guess it says alot if a coach is going to drive 3-5 hours to watch a regular season game live. 

Thanks for the clarification guys.  But even still, if the Falcons win out based on the points system it doesnt appear they can get much higher in the 3A state rankings than 10th.  Based on who they play.  The only team left on the schedule with winning record is Richlands.  I guess it is what it is. 

I know this, There has been alot of 3A coaches that have been seen scouting the Falcons at Falcon Field in recent weeks.  So I guess it says alot if a coach is going to drive 3-5 hours to watch a regular season game live. 

If coaches have already been scouting Abingdon then that is certainly a positive sign and a credit to the program's improvement. As far as final finishes go, who knows. If Abingdon beats Richlands (which they will have to put forth an A+ effort to do), and a few teams ahead of them stumble then they might hold their spot or even move up.

Exactly. AHS's best chance to move up is to have teams currently ahead of them play each and/or have teams ahead of them to lose to lesser teams. Either way, the argument that AHS should play more 3A teams is moot point. The travel is prohibitive budget wise and even when they do play and win it helps very little. The best thing that can happen for AHS is have the district teams win more games. I think both AHS AND RHS will have to play A+ football to secure a win. One of them won't, otherwise it will be a tie. But, there is a game before that one....one week at a time fellas.

It just simply comes down to wins by opponents. When a team wins a game they get 2 rider points for each win that their defeated opponent has. I just checked Lord Botetourt's schedule( the team directly in front of Abingdon). They have 6 wins, Abingdon has 6 wins, but LB has 26 rider points from their 6 wins. Abindgon only has 18. Base points aren't as huge as rider points in the grand scheme. Take the example below...

Beating a 1A out of district team that is 9-1 would get Abingdon 16 base points, 18 rider points, and 2 classification points for a total of 36 points.

Beating a 6A out of district team that is 0-10 would get Abingdon 26 base points, 0 rider points, and 0 classification points for a total of 26 points, or 10 LESS points than the 1A team.

The best way to get power points is to beat teams with winning records. Thus far, Abingdon's schedule has consisted of 4-1 win teams, 1 - 2 win team, and 1 - 3 win team. None have a winning record.

I dont think so.  Pheobus is the #1 ranked 3A team in the state and their "wins by opponents" resume is NOT that much better than Abingdon's.  Combined total wins for teams Pheobus has played is 11.  Whereas Abingdon is sitting on 9.  So there shouldnt be that much difference in rider points per say.  Now Pheobus does play alot of 5A and 4A schools.  So there again is why Abingdons geographic location being a 3A school and having to play with 2A and 1A schools come back to bite them.  Personally, I feel like Abingdon should be a 2A school to fit better into the regeion.  I'm not sure Abingdon could go unbeaten and garner enough points to even break the top 5 based on schedule and rider points.

Wasn't Phoebus the #1 ranked 3A team last year until the playoffs where they were smoked by an unranked Monacan team 35-0?  

Not defending any position, just stating how subjective rankings and common opponents can be.

Abingdon has well over 150 students more than the largest 2A school and sits almost squarely in the middle of the 3A division based on enrollment figures.  It's delusional to think Abingdon could move down a division without making drastic changes to the boundary in which the school serves.  If they want to force some students to go to PH, Holston or John Battle, they could get down to 2A level.  I highly doubt the school system would be willing to follow such a drastic route in an effort to reduce enrollment figures for athletic benefit.

Abingdon needs to look to NET and maybe WNC for larger competition. I understand the need to fill out a schedule with local schools but they are going to have to step up the schedule if the program stays on its current course(quality team with the ability to make a run in the playoffs).  A home game or two would be huge for Abingdon and will really benefit them in the long run, even if they have to travel more.

No way Abingdon belongs in 2A

Wasn't Phoebus the #1 ranked 3A team last year until the playoffs where they were smoked by an unranked Monacan team 35-0?  

Not defending any position, just stating how subjective rankings and common opponents can be.

Abingdon has well over 150 students more than the largest 2A school and sits almost squarely in the middle of the 3A division based on enrollment figures.  It's delusional to think Abingdon could move down a division without making drastic changes to the boundary in which the school serves.  If they want to force some students to go to PH, Holston or John Battle, they could get down to 2A level.  I highly doubt the school system would be willing to follow such a drastic route in an effort to reduce enrollment figures for athletic benefit.

Phoebus was 4A last year. And lost 3 games in the regular season.

I dont think so.  Pheobus is the #1 ranked 3A team in the state and their "wins by opponents" resume is NOT that much better than Abingdon's.  Combined total wins for teams Pheobus has played is 11.  Whereas Abingdon is sitting on 9.  So there shouldnt be that much difference in rider points per say.  Now Pheobus does play alot of 5A and 4A schools.  So there again is why Abingdons geographic location being a 3A school and having to play with 2A and 1A schools come back to bite them.  Personally, I feel like Abingdon should be a 2A school to fit better into the regeion.  I'm not sure Abingdon could go unbeaten and garner enough points to even break the top 5 based on schedule and rider points.

Let's go over this again....

Abingdon's opponents have 9 combined wins. That gives them 18 rider points, and a total of 135 points. Phoebus' opponents have 11 combined wins. That gives them 22 rider points and a total of 162 points. Because these win totals are almost equal THEN Phoebus benefits by getting extra points for playing only 4A and 5A schools.

HOWEVER, if Abingdon's opponents were all 5-1 then they would have a combined 30 wins which would be 60 rider points. That's an additional 42 points. 135 + 42 =  177.  177/6 games = a 29.5 average, which, in turn, would make them the highest rated 3A team in the east or the west. If Abingdon's opponents were all 4-2 they would still be the #1 seed in the east or west because their rating would be 27.5.

2A and 3A teams with WINNING records would once again be GREATER than 4A and 5A teams with losing records. Playing larger schools will only help you if their win total is going to be greater than or equal to the smaller schools.

Abingdon needs to look to NET and maybe WNC for larger competition. I understand the need to fill out a schedule with local schools but they are going to have to step up the schedule if the program stays on its current course(quality team with the ability to make a run in the playoffs).  A home game or two would be huge for Abingdon and will really benefit them in the long run, even if they have to travel more.

No way Abingdon belongs in 2A

And I agree. Abingdon does not belong in 2A. Just need to schedule more competitive games. And like Tiger said, there's a ton of big schools in NET that aren't that far away. Look how close Tenn High is.

From Abingdon...

Tenn high - 23 minutes

Sullivan South - 38 minutes

Sullivan Central - 27 minutes

Sullivan East - 35 minutes

DB - 41 minutes

David Crockett -59 minutes

Elizabethton - 54 minutes

On their current schedule, Graham, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, and Tazewell are all over an hour drive. So, they don't have to travel 3 days by mule to find teams to play.

And in defense of the Falcons, you don't always know how a team is going to do each year. Several of the teams on this year's schedule had winning records last year.

Sounds like from reading Union_Fan's post above, that the problem is that Abingdon has played a very weak schedule this year. Nothing against Abingdon. The schedule is what it is. When your opponents have 9 combined wins, it is hard to accumulate the rider points. Looks like Richlands is Abingdon's only opponent that appears to be a lock to have a winning season. 

Adding a TN school or  two sounds like it would help.....especially if you win those games. I would guess this will happen very soon. Gate City generally plays a pretty tough schedule...partly to help with the points, and to help the team improve. No doubt Reed and Colobro will bring the same philosophy to Abingdon. 

Even though Colobro has a DB connection, not sure I would go all crazy and try to add DB. Looks like Abingdon has at a 78-92 record since 1999. Might want to establish more of a winning tradition before you bring DB to town, but if you want to be the best..........

Up to the minute 3A points

1.Brookville       26.87500

2.Magna Vista   26.57143

3.W. Albemarle  26.14286

4.Northside        24.87500

5.L.Botetourt      23.71429

6.Monticello       23.57143

7.Abingdon        23.57143

8.S.River           23.12500

9. Rustburg       21.50000

Abingdon will likely stay in the top 8 and earn 1 home playoff game. 2 home playoff games would be very unlikely at this point.

The top 4 teams appear set to finish in the top 4 and earn 2 home games.

LB and S. River play each other so the loser of that game is likely to fall. LB also has a tough game vs William Byrd remaining.

There is a remote possibility that Abingdon could fall to #9 and need to travel to the #8 seed with a loss to Richlands and a Rustburg win at Amherst.  

Monticello has tough games remaining against Louisa, Albemarle and Powhatan.

The reality of 3A football is that you must win your district games and you must have your defeated opponents win most of their games to have a chance at the premium seeds.  

I took a quick look into WNC. Within an hour or so most of the counties have a small population and 1 small school(A/AA level), the counties w/ larger populations have multiple schools(A/AA level). NET is Abingdons best bet for larger competition. 

Good list Union_Fan although if I was Abingdon I would steer clear of of DB, not that they would play Abingdon anyway. Abingdon played Volunteer in the last cycle, maybe they need to look in adding them again and maybe Cherokee. Crockett and Boone would also bee good options

I know, back in the days when Graham was relevant, they would travel for hours to play schools their size, or bigger, just to help the strength of schedule...Greenville TN, Elizabethton TN, Patrick Henry-Roanoke, GW-Danville....