Power Points?

wave316

After last night, Central has 211 points.  They'll get 1 point from Union over Battle (2 pts if Battle upset Union).  So, we'll say 212 points after that.  If I'm looking at things right, they can get up to 8 max points from others (Eastside over Castlewood +2; Ridgeview over Honaker +2; Lebanon over Tazewell +2; Lee High over Virginia High +2.  So, that would be 220-221 max.  Dan River has 192 (as of now), a win over Altavista would get them up to 218.  They get 4 automatic points for the Gretna/Nelson and William Campbell/Chatham games.  So that's 222 without even getting the other potential points which looks to be about up to 7 possible points.   DR losing to Altavista would give them 203, then +4 would be 207.  Potential points from 0-7, 207-214 max.  Magna Vista, Martinsville, and Appomattox will likely give them 3 more points, Tunstall and Bartlett Yancey can give them 4 more if they win.

VHSL helper will have stuff like this outlined in his cheat sheets.

After last night, Central has 211 points.  They'll get 1 point from Union over Battle (2 pts if Battle upset Union).  So, we'll say 212 points after that.  If I'm looking at things right, they can get up to 8 max points from others (Eastside over Castlewood +2; Ridgeview over Honaker +2; Lebanon over Tazewell +2; Lee High over Virginia High +2.  So, that would be 220-221 max.  Dan River has 192 (as of now), a win over Altavista would get them up to 218.  They get 4 automatic points for the Gretna/Nelson and William Campbell/Chatham games.  So that's 222 without even getting the other potential points which looks to be about up to 7 possible points.   DR losing to Altavista would give them 203, then +4 would be 207.  Potential points from 0-7, 207-214 max.  Magna Vista, Martinsville, and Appomattox will likely give them 3 more points, Tunstall and Bartlett Yancey can give them 4 more if they win.

Very good Beamerball.....and Tech is beating Boston College also!

I read one of his sites, but he has Richlands ahead of Union, and he only has Union listed with 3 conference wins. We have four at the moment, with Battle to go. 

I read one of his sites, but he has Richlands ahead of Union, and he only has Union listed with 3 conference wins. We have four at the moment, with Battle to go. 

Richlands is ahead of Union in total points.  What the VHSL and others list the rankings by is the average rating (total points divided by number of games played).  Listing it by total number of points gives a better idea of what a team needs to/can pick up.  He explains it a little below the ratings list.

So it's fairly certain that Virginia High @ Lee is a play-in game for the playoffs?

Not certain, the loser of that game can still get in, also GC can sneak in there IF certain games went their way (but I don't think GC can pass Lee), Randolph-Henry has a chance if they beat Nottoway.  Also have to account for Ridgeview/Honaker game and Grundy still has an outside chance.  The winner of the Lee/Va High should be in the playoffs though.

********************************** UNOFFICIAL 2A WEST STANDINGS**************************************

This is what I have. I'll throw up some scenarios once the VHSL releases their official numbers.

1.) Union   9-0   264   29.33333333
2.) Glenvar    9-0   250   27.77777778
3.) Appomattox   9-0   246   27.33333333
4.) Richlands   9-1   265   26.5
5.) Buckingham   8-1   228   25.33333333
6.) Giles   8-1   219   24.33333333
7.) James River   7-2   197   21.88888889
8.) Dan River   6-3   192   21.33333333
9.) Central   7-3   211   21.1
10.) Grayson   6-3   176   19.55555556
11.) Graham   4-5   171   19
12.) Gretna  4-5   165   18.33333333
13.) Martinsville   3-6   165   18.33333333
14.) Lee   5-4   164   18.22222222
15.) Ridgeview   5-4   163   18.11111111
16.) Virginia High   5-4   160   17.77777778
17.) Grundy   4-6   172   17.2
18.) Gate City  3-7   172   17.2
19.) Randolph-Henry   4-5   151  16.77777778
20.) Tazewell   3-6   141   15.66666667
21.) Chatham   3-6   140   15.55555556
22.) Lebanon   2-7   129   14.33333333
23.) Floyd County  2-7   125   13.88888889
24.) Marion Senior  1-8   108   12
25.) John S. Batle  1-8   108   12

So who is right? You or Angel Fire...he has Ridgeview at 17th seed .

Look at what I posted above.  Those are listed by the average rating (which is the total points divided by the number of games played).  Look at the 2nd number in Union_Fan's post, that's the total number, Gate City and Grundy have more than Ridgeview in that regard.  Helper lists them by the total points they have because it's easier to see the possible outcomes.

What Beamerball said is accurate.

I list by rating vs point total because that is how VHSL releases them, and that is what they go by for final rankings, BUT at that point everybody has played 10 games whereas now some teams have played 10 and most everyone else has only played 9.

I'm sure he can/will explain further but Helper notes that Dan River's total could change today.  I assume it has to do with the Bartlett Yancey forfeit????

That has made no sense to me. In an interview, the Yancey coach basically said they never had a contract with Dan River, yet the VHSL gave Dan River points for a forfeit when it sounds like their AD simply screwed up.

But at the same time Yancey won more games than what the VHSL gave Dan River credit for. I don't get it.

But at the same time Yancey won more games than what the VHSL gave Dan River credit for. I don't get it.

I think that's been a discussion in the past too, someone here can explain it further.  They count one of the games as a preseason benefit game or such I think (if not then that's 11 games).  If they take those points from BY away then Central has a much better chance, but DR can still get the 8th over Central with a win over Altavista.

So if Dan Rivers wins, regardless of rider points, Central will travel there in the first round?

At this point, Central's only hope of getting the 8th seed is a Dan River loss next week, but they are a solid 9. I don't believe it is possible for them to go below that.

What will happen with a Appomattox if they win or don't win with Amherst.

If Appo wins and all their and Union's opponents(that can) win their final game then Union and Appo will be tied for #1. No idea what the tie breaker would be. David Crockett beating BOTH their final two opponents, Tenn High and Daniel Boone, whom they haven't beaten in the last 11 and 12 attempts, respectively, was very unexpected and gave Union a boost. So, whoever has the most opponents lose next week will be #2

If Appo loses and all their and Richlands' opponents(that can) win then Union will be #1(too far ahead of Glenvar to be caught), Glenvar #2, Richlands #3, and Appo #4. So, Richlands really needs Bluefield and Va High to win next week.

If Appo wins and all their and Union's opponents(that can) win their final game then Union and Appo will be tied for #1. No idea what the tie breaker would be. David Crockett beating BOTH their final two opponents, Tenn High and Daniel Boone, whom they haven't beaten in the last 11 and 12 attempts, respectively, was very unexpected and gave Union a boost. So, whoever has the most opponents lose next week will be #2

If Appo loses and all their and Richlands' opponents(that can) win then Union will be #1(too far ahead of Glenvar to be caught), Glenvar #2, Richlands #3, and Appo #4. So, Richlands really needs Bluefield and Va High to win next week.

Thats my ideal scenario. Appomattox losing and Richlands' opponents winning out, giving them the #3 seed and the Bears taking the top overall seed.