Power Points?

wave316

Last win was 1992 on a rainy day vs 10-0 TW who had surrendered a total of 21 points in those 10 games. We won 23-0 in Ewing. A few near misses with Saunders after, but no dice

Thomas Walker went undefeated? What kind of weird world was 1992?

Of course, Richlands won 4A that year, so it couldn't be too weird

Saunders had a few close games, as did Salyers(JJK v Lebanon was close two years in a row 5-6 years ago).

Those JJK teams under Saunders were solid, just couldn't run with PV and GC

Yea didn't they didn't have the talent year end year out like Pv they made 1 are 2 games interesting when Pv had a off night.

I was playing around that time. Those JJK teams were well thought of, just stuck in a tough District and a REALLY TOUGH Region. Region D was brutal in the early 2000s. Honaker was strong, Clintwood was strong(and couldn't make the playoffs), Haysi was solid, PV was PV, and JJK was stuck somewhere there in the middle. In district they also had to contend with JIB.

JJK had a couple of the top runners in the LPD(judging by spring track results). They had speed/athleticism to burn in the backfield.

Saunders actually proposed a playoff setup similar to what we have now. Although I think in his setup the Reg C #1 would host the Reg D #4 and so on. The thinking was the best teams will advance regardless of geography. In our current playoff setup JJK would have made some runs, instead of getting bumped in the 1st round

I was playing around that time. Those JJK teams were well thought of, just stuck in a tough District and a REALLY TOUGH Region. Region D was brutal in the early 2000s. Honaker was strong, Clintwood was strong(and couldn't make the playoffs), Haysi was solid, PV and GC were PV and GC, and JJK was stuck somewhere there in the middle.

Saunders actually proposed a playoff setup similar to what we have now. Although I think in his setup the Reg C #1 would host the Reg D #4 and so on. The thinking was the best teams will advance regardless of geography. In our current playoff setup JJK would have made some runs, instead of getting bumped in the 1st round

Doesn't Tennessee run a similar set-up? 

I have no idea sixcat but I like the concept.

the best regional teams are rewarded for having good seasons, fans from all over can go see games locally and the best teams don't meet up in the early rounds

TW had a good group of athletes at that time and started probably their best 4-5 years in program history then if memory serves me correctly.  I believe most of their OOD games were made up of KY and TN teams so Im not sure what their level of competition was there though.

Union fan let's not slight those JJK teams by saying PV had off nights. Both teams were good and the games were tight. JJK best lots of folks during the Saunders regime. It wasn't a fluke

The 1999 Kelly team who stunned a heavily favored PV team made a statement that JJ Kelly was very much IMPROVED. That Powell Valley team was hit a bit hard by graduation from the great 1998 team. They lost Julius Jones (need not say very much about that). They lost Victor Williams, who shined during one or two games when Julius may have been hurt. Jake Stepp. The killer defensive player, Shea Chapman. Quarterback Jake Stepp. Matt McCoy. A TON of talent in addition to those guys. Powell Valley seemed like they were just reloading in 1999. 

Then the JJ Kelly game. I think the halftime score was 13-0 or 13-7 in favor of JJ Kelly. PV made it 14-13. JJ Kelly had the final say scoring another TD. A late PV drive ended in an interception and the celebration was on for the Indians. 19-14. The following week, it seems like the Indians went into the Clintwood game, seeming like they had the bighead and got beat pretty bad. Powell Valley lost a heartbreaker to Gate City.

Following JJ Kelly's message to everyone in 1999, only a few games against PV during the Saunders Era were what you could call close. 

A look at the scores from Kelly's Saunders Era:

1999 JJK 19, PV 14

2000 PV 14, JJK 6

2000 PV 31, JJK 0

2001 PV 48, JJK 13

2001 PV 24? 23?, JJK 13

2002 PV 59, JJK 27

2003 PV 54, JJK 13

JJ Kelly didn't have a bad team at all during most of that time. It's just that PV, GC, at times Appalachia, and later Clintwood were just better.

The stars aligned that year. I'll try and find an old schedule, but I believe we play a good schedule that year too.

Edit: spill over from lee high becoming a school helped tw that year

I couldn't tell you, honestly.  There are 2 teams with 0-10 records in 2A.  

I think it could be a regional breakdown issue where a very large school such as Antioch is surrounded by smaller schools making them one of only a few schools in that region of that size.

Tennessee realigned this year and made 6A. Four, eight team regions where everyone gets in. TSSAA needs the money, I guess.

I'm unfamiliar with the 2A situation. In 5A there was a school that was put on postseason ban so next school up. And of course most sub 500 teams getting in are products of the system

I noticed a mistake and corrected it in my post, GC was still in the Highlands during much of the Saunders era(they may have played JJK, idk). GC "dropped"(moved down to where they should have been) in 02.

The playoff teams in 99 were Haysi, Honaker, Clintwood and PV. JJK didnt make it in.  Haysi got destroyed by Honaker and Clintwood beat PV(I dont remember the score), then Honaker beat Cw in a very tight game. Honaker lost in the semis but I cant remember who beat them, maybe Floyd Co?

That's back when Region D was such a killer, from 1990-2005, a team from Region D was a player in the state chase every year. 

Saunders only beat PV once IIRC, and that was the 99 game. JJK kept it close a few times, but the program was not in the same shape it is in now. Central has a much better program as a whole than JJK football was at that time.

I know for five straight seasons, the LPD had a kid that went on to play in the NFL (Thomas, Juice, Justin Hamilton). And if you won the district, you had to deal with teams like Honaker that also sent a player to the league or Gate City who did as well. Then Gate City dropped and joined, and the tough district got even tougher.

I feel for Norton, but I really wish we had a way to keep the old LPD in tact after consolidation. It was heartbreaking to see the district have to go away. If you won the Lonesome Pine District in football, other schools around the state in your division damn well knew you were gonna show up and give you trouble. Even in down years, the LPD winner (or sometimes, teh 2nd place, or 3rd place team) was a tough out for any school. Not just in football either, great basketball teams at Burton, state champion baseball teams at JJK, etc...

Tennessee realigned this year and made 6A. Four, eight team regions where everyone gets in. TSSAA needs the money, I guess.

You should check out the 3A bracket in Tennessee, You have East Ridge (Chattanooga) 10-0, then Elizabethton 9-1, Alcoa 9-1, CAK 9-1, CPA 9-1 it is a killer gauntlet. Alcoa lost a close game to 6A #1 Maryville, Elizabethton's only loss 28-21 to 6A #6 Science Hill, CAK's only loss is to 4A perennial power Fulton, and CPA lost by 4 to Ensworth who was the highest rated team in TN 3 of the last 4 years.

Alcoa is most likely the favorite, but that is a nasty bracket

The stars aligned that year. I'll try and find an old schedule, but I believe we play a good schedule that year too.

Edit: spill over from lee high becoming a school helped tw that year

Started off with a win over *cough* Powell Valley and went into the playoffs ranked #8 in the AP Poll