Fans from around the area

greatwhitemp36

I was reading on another board about central VA having different customs and practices from pregame with the bands and fans making noise...which made me think of another practice that i've seen from all fans from SWVA.....i continue to see fans make great noise when their team is on defense, however, they continue the same level of noise while their team is on offense....it appears that it becomes a war between the fans on the other side of the field, for who can make the most noise....which is really confusing because you don't want to make noise while your team is on offense....wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. 

Traditional powers tend to have more knowledgeable fan bases, especially in SWVA.  I have had the opportunity to visit some great places over the past 4 or 5 years.  Honaker, Haysi and Clintwood have as impressive a following as I have witnessed and they are certainly knowledgeable.

With that said, every high school program is going to have the half lit mom with a cow bell screaming for little Johnny while he is standing on the sideline begging for her to just shut up.

Here's the thing - a bunch of fans are totally clueless.

I was at a HS game a few years ago and the PA guy, who played back in the day, did the unheard of.  Home team got a big play for a first down in the red zone. As the QB was walking up to center, he decided to "help" by announcing "let's make some NOISE for your ----". The QB stepped back, turned sideways, and flapped his arms to try and bring it DOWN, but that made the fans louder, He shook his head and called a timeout.

Back in the late 80's, the Grundy band would play during a timeout.  Lots of times, they'd still be playing when the QB was under center. I had to tell them that wasn't a good thing.

Funny things happen during 'The ref disgrace game" in 2014 lee vs union. The last drive for lee high before getting stop in unions red zone, the fans and all the coaches were screaming at the band and director to stop playing.

I was dying laughing and pissed off at the same time. Too funny

GC played a playoff game at William Campbell in 1994 and they stopped the game while our band was playing, and the ref walked to the sideline and made them stop. First time and only time I've ever witnessed that.

GC played a playoff game at William Campbell in 1994 and they stopped the game while our band was playing, and the ref walked to the sideline and made them stop. First time and only time I've ever witnessed that.

Back in the glory days, Graham's band was playing during a game at Mitchell Stadium against a school who may have had 50 fans in the opposing stands.  I recall that just before the second half started, one of the officials walked over and had about a 90 second conversation with M.B., who told the band that the officials had threatened to flag the team for unsportsmanlike conduct because the sound was echoing so badly after the snap, despite the band not playing.

Haysi and Clintwood did a little chant when the Offense was inside the 10 but I don't think it was ever distracting and we were quiet when the play was being called. Overall Ridgeview fans are quiet when the Offense is in the huddle and before the play starts. Ive seen my fair share of fans get hushed for yelling when the O is on the field.  

I always thought it was ok for the band of the team that is on defense to play until the team on offense broke the huddle?

Exactly. I think it's ok as long as it's huddle and pre snap. But I guess VT games has taught me that you quit when the ball is about the be snapped.

The last drive for lee high before getting stop in unions red zone, the fans and all the coaches were screaming at the band and director to stop playing.

I was dying laughing and pissed off at the same time. Too funny

Like that in the past too, even as band members years back we would try to convince others not to play, or as loud anyway, when Lee had the ball.  Of course, this was back when Lee had a bigger band and were much louder.

It annoyed me in HS that my alma mater seemed to only play when we were on offense.  When I asked her why and to please do it when we were on defense, she said it wasnt sportsmanlike.  I always hated being on offense near the band area because they only played when we had the ball.  Thankfully our band wasnt great when I was in HS, not the fault of the band director.  She done a great job of rebuilding it to what it is today.

One time back in the 90's Grundy played Salem at Tazewell's stadium in the playoffs and some fans from Grundy brought this huge horn mechanism that was powered by a battery. The guy who was sitting in front of the horn got up sometime during the 3rd quarter and told them to stop blowing that thing! The people who brought the device all stood there and looked at each other not knowing what to say! lol

I remember in 2003 PV at Breathitt Co., KY. We (the band) were playing something. We were told not to play while the play was going on. I personally don't see the big deal but someone disagrees.

Kentucky has a whole different set of rules than Virginia. Learned about that at Middlesboro and was reminded the other week at Letcher. Band can only play during timeouts, between quarters, and very quickly after a score. As soon as the ball is set for play the band has to stop.

And they announced there was to be no artificial noisemakers. So, no air horns, megaphones, sound horns (that you blow), clappers, etc...

If any of these kids play at the next level they might want to get used to a little fan and band noise. Was at Bullitt Park Friday night and it was sad to see Battle with no band to back them. Tbey actually had some good looking athletes.

If any of these kids play at the next level they might want to get used to a little fan and band noise. Was at Bullitt Park Friday night and it was sad to see Battle with no band to back them. Tbey actually had some good looking athletes.

No band, very few fans, but their kids never quit. They gave 100% effort from start to finish. Assuming he stays, their coach has them going in the right direction.

Just my thoughts; 1-2 WRs that were tall and fast, a couple of RBs that were quick if not strong, a pretty big FB that moved well, a QB that could lay the ball up and seemed pretty accurate, and a TE that looked the part but never touched the ball. I can see how they couldn't compete in the Mountain but imo they should have been more competitive, should have beat Lebanon and been more competitive vs PH

Kentucky has a whole different set of rules than Virginia. Learned about that at Middlesboro and was reminded the other week at Letcher. Band can only play during timeouts, between quarters, and very quickly after a score. As soon as the ball is set for play the band has to stop.

And they announced there was to be no artificial noisemakers. So, no air horns, megaphones, sound horns (that you blow), clappers, etc...

I thought VA put a stop to noisemakers as well a few years back.  We had a fan that attached a truck air horn to an air tank and would always bring it in.  Mainly for celebration after a score.  But then one year someone said that they were prohibited "inside the stadium"  Always thought it was clever to those sitting outside the stadium with a view that could still sound off their noise.

This year I did notice some things back in the stands and no one ever complained.

I don't have a problem with the band playing, just the fans that think when its 4th and 2 and we really need to get a 1st so let's start yelling and making as much noise as possible...

Im a huge fan of jugs full of rocks/pennies, clappers, cowbells and such but I do take exception to mechanical noise makers, i.e. airhorns, train horns and bullhorns. I just dont see it as a part of a fans excitement as much as 1-2 fans effort to have a negative impact on the game. Not saying the horns are necessarily negative if used correctly(after big plays, scores, turnovers, etc) but the potential is there(use them to cause false starts, blare them wide open while other teams are in the offensive huddle, etc.) .

Im just loud so im gonna yell and maybe shake a jug of pennies