It's now Official.....

Ryan4VT

Richt would have been a great hire but you dont want to wait and potentially miss out on both. 

I like the hire. Young guy with a successful spread offense, which Tech seems to want to do but has yet to succeed at.

Richt and Foster would have been one hell of a duo

Just watched the presser announcing Fuente...impressed.

I watched it also.  I am not a VT fan but follow because of my wife.  I can't figure out if I am more impressed with Whit Babcock or Fuente.  Babcock seems like one of those guys everyone gravitates toward.  He seems to understand short term "splash" may get headlines but success is built over time.  He could have gone after guys like Richt but, would the program be better for it in the long term?  My guess is, no.  

Fuente didn't give me the impression that the moment was too big for him.  He was self-deprecating and funny, yet, grounded in his family and in the knowledge that he can't tread water by moving away from the past 29 years of VT football.  That is a combination that will suit him well in SWVA, I would think.

It also sounded like several other Memphis assistants will be coming over after the bowl game.  If Brad Cornelsen is one of them, VT will have two assistant  coaches that are beloved if Foster stays.

(1) Can Fuente replicate his offensive success in the ACC, which takes defense seriously?

(2) Can Fuente recruit the talent needed to push VT into the Clemson/FSU territory?

(3) Can he avoid friction with Shane and Bud, especially Bud?

Just my unbiased opinion.......

(1) Can it really be worse than it has over the past decade?

(2) Recruiting is overrated to a certain degree.  Major college programs need talent to compete at the highest levels but part of that talent is developing what you have.  That is what got Beamer and company to the peaks of the program in the late 90's and early 00's.  Player development is far more important in my opinion.

(3) I heard them speak of Bud staying but I didn't hear anything at the press conference about Shane, or did I miss something?  This could be a huge positive for the program giving stability to the change of leadership or a huge negative distraction.

(1) Can Fuente replicate his offensive success in the ACC, which takes defense seriously?

(2) Can Fuente recruit the talent needed to push VT into the Clemson/FSU territory?

(3) Can he avoid friction with Shane and Bud, especially Bud?

(1) If VT could have success in the ACC with the $hitty offense they've had for the past 10 years, I think Fuente's offense will be fine...especially with Bud's D...

(2) I think VT will make a move back into the VA talent pool with this hire...

(3) Shane won't be part of the coaching staff.  Pretty certain he will be taking on another role...

Good story from Will Stewart...

Bud got on a plane to meet a prospective head coach ...

... but wasn't told who it was until he was halfway there.

It was an amusing story. Bud said Whit put him on a plane to go meet a prospective head coach, and they didn't even tell Bud who it was until they were halfway there.

"I thought they were going to blindfold me and spin me around 3 times," Bud joked.

He met behind closed doors with Fuente for an hour and a half. Whit was there, too, but Whit said he stayed outside and just let the two of them meet and talk by themselves.

Bud wouldn't say where this meeting was, or what day it was.

Great stuff. Cloak and dagger.

Now that Richt is available part of me is second guessing the Fuente decision. 

Richt is by all accounts a great guy, who has some history with Bud(the way I understand it Bud almost left VT to work for Richt at UGA), has recruiting ties to GA(a loaded state) and has had success in the SEC(how many people can say that?). 

Then I think about what I really want for VT, I want Beamer 2. I want a young coach, who has been around a little, is a good man, is likable and will bring continued stability to the Hokie program and who may just be in Blacksburg for the next 15+ years. 

I want to be competitive every year, win the Coastal division every other year, win the ACC every few years and get into the playoffs(with a chance at a national title). What I dont want fot Tech is to get into the big school football rat race where a HC is determined only for what he can do in terms of Ws/Ls, where the HC has 3-4 years to deliver then hes gone, where VT is recruiting the majority of the team from FL, TX and CA(the program was built on VA players and I want it to stay that way, VA based and supplemented with players from the East Coast), where VT puts up with outrageous behavior in an embarrassing quest for national titles. 

Maybe Fuente is that and can do that, and maybe he isint but I feel that he is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Offers from Missouri and Nevada. Yep, next John Elway.

FWIW, you have 2 better QBs on your roster...

LOL

That's exactly what I thought when I seen the article about him signing.

expectations sure are high for a first year power 5 coach in Hokieland

My expectation next year is 7-5. That seems about right for the talent we currently have. Don't listen to the idiot fans.

In regards to Evans, we will see how good he is very quickly, he'll have to beat Lawson. And please for the love of god don't let Motley anywhere near a football.