Semifinal Updates 12/5/15

futbolking

A major player for LB got hurt today. Lythgoe plays RB and DB (or LB). He has signed with VMI. Had knee surgery in April and hurt the same knee today. Kid is really really good. He was the main reason AHS lost last week. Prayers for the kids.....he is truly talented. I have a really good friend who's kids go to LB. I asked if he thought AHS could have beat Hopewell and he said definitely. He said AHS had the best offense he'd seen all year. Best of luck to LB next week.

You'll throttle them.

Clarke won't beat Appomattox. I truly feel like the state championship game was played last week.

Just like union would throttle them? Appomattox may very well win but you can't guarantee that. That's what the games are played. Union was the best team this part of the state had to offer and that clark team that more than one person on this site said union was at least 2 tds better completely ran all over them today. Clark has not made it to this point by accident.

Just like union would throttle them? Appomattox may very well win but you can't guarantee that. That's what the games are played. Union was the best team this part of the state had to offer and that clark team that more than one person on this site said union was at least 2 tds better completely ran all over them today. Clark has not made it to this point by accident.

I didn't watch the game or even listen, but I agree with this post. Flashbacks of Richlands-Poquoson 2010 haunts me. I felt the same way until leaving Liberty in disbelief. That same year, I would have never guessed that Gate City would end Gretna's reign of terror after seeing them play in week 1. I definitely wouldn't feel confident, although Appomattox may be destined to win given their tragedies this year. Clarke County must be for real. I'd be anxious to read some Union fans analysis.

I was 10000% wrong on my assessment. Then again, I didn't go into thinking Union would turn the ball over 3 times and turn it over on downs several times as well. I knew Unions weakness was run defense, but I thought if the offense could get up a few scores and make CC pass, it would get ugly.

Credit to Clarke though. They played tough. I just feel like, and always have since the bracket was released, that the winner of the Appo/Richlands game was gonna be the champion. Still believe that.

I was 10000% wrong on my assessment. Then again, I didn't go into thinking Union would turn the ball over 3 times and turn it over on downs several times as well. I knew Unions weakness was run defense, but I thought if the offense could get up a few scores and make CC pass, it would get ugly.

Credit to Clarke though. They played tough. I just feel like, and always have since the bracket was released, that the winner of the Appo/Richlands game was gonna be the champion. Still believe that.

Union's most glaring weakness over the years has been in preparing the defense to play. You can usually tell from the first couple series whether or not the defense will have a good day because adjustments are slow coming if they come at all.

Clarke won't beat Appomattox. I truly feel like the state championship game was played last week.

Ryan, I know you are one of the most passionate Richlands fans and I really commend you on it.  The support our kids receive is one of the reasons that playing football at Richlands is special.  The great thing about this site is that everyone has a different perspective and is able to voice that perspective.

I remember when Richlands was not the perceived juggernaut that it is considered to be now.  I was a sophomore in high school when the mighty, undefeated Salem Spartans rolled into town and expected to roll out of town with an easy win and a slot in the AA Division 4 state title game.  Most people outside of Richlands had the same expectations.  The rest is now history.  One should never discount any team still playing in December, nor their chance of winning.  Both teams playing in the finals have earned their stripes.

To completely disregard a team that thrashed a stout Union team defies logic to me.  I can understand most Richlands fans would like to see Appomattox win, and win convincingly, to somehow maintain a claim on a state title that did not come to fruition.  In hopes to lesson the sting of defeat.  I am not saying that is your perspective, only that some may wield that sentiment.

If the Appomattox defense has a weakness, it is against the run.  As you said, and I do agree that Union was weak against the run.  A sentiment echoed by Union fans after the Richlands game.  Blankenship running the football made them nervous.  I feel strongly about Clarke County's ability to win this game and will explain such.  Clarke County (CC) runs their version of the Single Wing, and that can be difficult to defend as we both know.  The Appomattox offense is serviceable, but not dominant.

Against Richlands, most would see the defense as the reason that  Appomattox was able to rally.  That is not so in reality.  The following is my perspective, it doesn't necessarily make it right, but it makes in mine.  The achilles heel at Richlands is not the inability to run the football, it is the lack of commitment to the running game.  It is a philosophical weakness.  Not a talent issue, we have the best kids and talent in the state, in my opinion.  The bulk to that talent is homegrown.  The Appomattox offense was held scoreless for three and a half quarters.....good enough to win.  However, Richlands lack of ability to control the clock and move that chains slowly wore on our defense.  That led to the rally in the fourth and the end of our season.

If CC can control the clock, move the chains and score, they will win.  The Appomattox offense is not good enough, in my opinion, to score points and carry the day against a defense that only gave up 15 points against a very capable Union offense.

In 1992, Brannon Breeding had 46 carries for 221 yards (may not be exact on the yards, but close) in the upset win that sent the Spartans back to Salem empty handed.  At that time, Richlands had a complete commitment to the running game and a very different mentality than now.  It is a difficult task to win against quality opponents deep in a playoff run when the running game and ball control are not prominent pieces of the strategy.  A smash mouth mentality is a must for our offense as our defense has never lost it.

In summary Ryan, you are a great fan for the Blues and I respect that.  You are one of the pillars of support on this board and on gameday.  I wish more of our fans had our passion.  But, this late in the playoffs, teams that forge their will in the run game win championships.  Teams that don't, fall like Goliath or the Salem Spartans.

To me, Appomattox has the best defense in the state. Their strength is the run defense. Their "weakness", if you can cal it as such, is in defending the pass consistently. Not that they can't cover the pass, because they have more than enough athletes to do it, but they didn't do a good job of stopping it consistently.

With that said, Clarkes three RBs won't be able to move the ball at will on that Appomattox front like they did against Union.

I'm with you in the fact that Appomattox offense isn't the worlds most scary thing. But I think they can score enough that Clarke won't be able to keep up.

That's why I feel Clarke won't win. It's not a knock on the east, it's me not being able to see how any team will beat Appomattox.

I respect your opinion.  However agreement is not completely met.  The Appomattox secondary looked able to start in Blacksburg.  They held the best passing team in the state to their lowest totals of the year.  I feel their secondary is their strength, not their run defense.  Against Richlands, their run defense was not tested.  CC is not a spread team and does not look for large chunks of real estate through the air.  The commitment to run the ball and control the clock is present.  If they are successful in this, they will win.

No disrespect to Appomattox, they are a great team and there is no dishonor in losing to them.  Richlands had the players to defeat them, by the Union score, I assume that CC has as well.  Mentality may prove to be the deciding factor.

Clarke is the most physical team I have seen in a while.  I have not seen Appo but several of my friends have.  They all feel that a physical team like Clarke will frustrate and eventually wear Appo down.  Clarke's defense is very, very good.  They also have three 1000+ yard rushers.  In a way, they reminded me of the old Nebraska teams; they run, you know they will run, and you cannot stop them.  Union turned the ball over because of the defense.  Appomattox may win it next week but I will do the "avatar wager" with anyone will to take the bet!

I think a diversity in the running game in addition to the commitment is what makes many old school offenses hard to defend. Multiple backs moving in different directions makes it very difficult on a defense. I'm assuming that is what makes Clarke County's offense so effective. In my opinion, it's also what makes high school football so great! There is so much variety and just sometimes schemes beats talent.

I've not laughed so hard in a long time, that's like saying state was won when lee played appomattox. Appomattox will have trouble with a good power run team