Safe to say that Richlands vs. Appomatox was title game?

Swvafan72

Been saying it for weeks.

Ryan you're pretty smart, knowledgeable and well respected on this forum however, this is just faulty fallacy on your part. We'll never know. I haven't wanted to read this board ever since Union lost (been in mourning) but that's a big 'what if' at best. I felt strongly that you all were going to beat Appo and we were going to take care of business and give everyone the championship game we all expected. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, so now we all have to wait until August! I've moved on and am looking forward to an exciting season of basketball, which expectations should be right up there with the football team. Good luck!

"Earlier in the year" key words there. Richlands would've most likely beat Union like a drum if they played today. Appo beat Richlands in overtime. Then killed Clarke who clobbered Union.

And your point would be? Appo beating Richlands in o.t. has no bearing on what possibly could have happened between UHS and RHS. Bottom line is we both lost! Not looking for a fight but we'll never know! It's all a matter of opinion and we all wish for a 'do-over'!

The beauty or problem is you never know about a bad game or matchup. If you have one, you hope it's in the regular season. Appomattox are deserving champions. My ignorance of Clarke County aside, they played well enough to reach the final. On any given day, Richlands, Union, or Glenvar could have beaten Appomattox as well or each other. Regardless, it was an exciting season.

"Earlier in the year" key words there. Richlands would've most likely beat Union like a drum if they played today. Appo beat Richlands in overtime. Then killed Clarke who clobbered Union.

The key thought in all of this is that if you wanted the Richlands - Appomattox game to be the state championship then don't lose to Union early in the season

True they didn't beat them earlier in the season or it would have been. Season is over, sorry I was just trying to have a nice discussion about it. But you really can't anymore everyone gets salty over everything. My apologies, congratulations to all teams on a great season!

The beauty or problem is you never know about a bad game or matchup. If you have one, you hope it's in the regular season. Appomattox are deserving champions. My ignorance of Clarke County aside, they played well enough to reach the final. On any given day, Richlands, Union, or Glenvar could have beaten Appomattox as well or each other. Regardless, it was an exciting season.

I concur!

True they didn't beat them earlier in the season or it would have been. Season is over, sorry I was just trying to have a nice discussion about it. But you really can't anymore everyone gets salty over everything. My apologies, congratulations to all teams on a great season!

No apologies needed because no offense taken. You're just one of the many true, loyal and devoted fans that supports your team! Southwest VA was well represented this year by players, coaches and fans!

But Clarke beat Union like a drum, who beat Richlands earlier in the year (without the POY). So no, you can't say that.

Yes, he can. You may not believe it to be true, but it's simply a matter of opinion. I believe he's right, but it doesn't matter, because Richlands didn't get it done versus Appo.

All of this is total crap. You can not say that if Richlands had won the appomattox game that they would have won the state championship. You can not predict the future. It's all about match ups and who knows how Richlands would have matched up with the other teams. All credit to appomattox they won every game they played and thats all that matters. THEY determined who won the state championship by taking care of business every game they played and congrats to them.

Every time someone uses the transitive property in sports, a kitten dies.

& if championships were won on hypotheticals Richlands would be have more state championships than Northfork basketball had in the 70's & 80's

a nice discussion doesn't mean everyone has to agree with the same opinion.

Every time someone uses the transitive property in sports, a kitten dies.

Yep. Can't always pre judge a game based on how the teams do against other opponents.

Union and Richlands have some nice match ups. That said, had the 2 rematched yesterday then Richlands would likely win. Just speculation.

Doesn't do any good to speculate. Appomattox is the 2A champ for a year.

Think about this for a second. If one play changes in the Appomattox game, be it the long 4th down for the TD, or Scottie catching the ball with 5 seconds left to set up a GW FG, everything changes.

Richlands would have went to Clarke. As great as Appomattox defense was, Richlands wasn't far below it. I firmly believe Richlands would have beaten Clarke. That also put Buffalo Gap at Union, a game that I feel Union would have won. That would have given us the Richlands Union matchup that we all wanted.

Crazy to think that one play here or there in a state quarterfinal can change the whole landscape, but it would have.

I'll stick to my guns. Appomattox won the state title on Nov. 28th.

I'll stick to my guns. Appomattox won the state title on Nov. 28th.

Wrong appomattox won the state title 2 weeks earlier vs Lee, Lee would have ran the table.

Oh we are being serious and not a complete idiot

In the spirit of this thread I'd like to take the time to Congratulate Richland's on being the 2nd best team in the state. YOU'RE #2 YOU'RE #2!!!! but wait..... Union beat Richland's earlier in the season and made it just as far soooo YOU'RE #3 YOU'RE #3 !?!?!? Well since 3 other teams made it further than Richland's in the playoffs other than Appomattox YOU'RE #6??? Ah hell let me just Congratulate Appomattox on winning the State Title yesterday and all the other teams that made it to the playoffs for a successful season and good luck next year just to be safe.

Also Congrats to Galax for Winning the 1A state title.

Wrong appomattox won the state title 2 weeks earlier vs Lee, Lee would have ran the table.

Oh we are being serious and not a complete idiot

I don't know what I did to you for you to single me out of everyone on this board that has the same opinion. But I'm frankly sick and tired of it. Time to block you I guess. It's a shame you can't have a decent conversation without someone attacking you because you grew up in a certain town and hold an opinion. But oh well.

In the spirit of this thread I'd like to take the time to Congratulate Richland's on being the 2nd best team in the state. YOU'RE #2 YOU'RE #2!!!! but wait..... Union beat Richland's earlier in the season and made it just as far soooo YOU'RE #3 YOU'RE #3 !?!?!? Well since 3 other teams made it further than Richland's in the playoffs other than Appomattox YOU'RE #6??? Ah hell let me just Congratulate Appomattox on winning the State Title yesterday and all the other teams that made it to the playoffs for a successful season and good luck next year just to be safe.

Also Congrats to Galax for Winning the 1A state title.

^ this