Powerball = $1,000,000,000?!

Spend a healthy chunk of it on stuff my family wanted, invest some of it and ask the coach at the high school what he needed and give him anything he wanted or needed and with the rest who knows what I would do with it.....probably travel and attend as many big sporting events I could

Well, I wouldn't be in student debt anymore. I wouldn't be living in a lower scale apartment. I would still finish my degree. I would make sure my mom, my dad, and the grandparents who raised me had new homes and cars. I would buy myself a new car. Donate enough money for Richlands to have new stands on both sides. Give the Richlands band enough to completely redo their band room and make it state of the art. I'd buy some new golf clubs. Probably invest some in something. Then the rest would be left to live very comfortably while I still find a job after I get my degree.

1)  Change phone numbers

2)  Hire UVAO

3)  Trust funds for the immediate family

4)  Hire VHS the best football coach money could by...with the caveat that only I could fire him

5)  Complete the grand slam of turkey hunting

6)  Pick one random 1A or 2A school and revamp their whole athletic facilities and computer labs

7)  Make a big donation to my church...only if they would let me fire the current preacher

8)  Become a politician...or lobbyist...or "pundit".

9)  Build a new Masonic Lodge in the Valley

10) Build a great golf course and hold an annual swvasports members only tournament.

2.  Hire the best financial planner around.

3.  Tell my wife to file her retirement papers.

3.  Set up trust funds for the nieces and nephews to pay for their educations.

4.  Create a charitable trust to endow community projects (ala Shott Foundation)

5.  Go collect the winnings.

6.  Have my mother's house completely renovated.

7.  Go off the grid.

In all seriousness, pay off all of my debts and any attached to direct family members. Invest in a quality security system.  Buy a new Ranger boat.  Make a donation to my HS alma mater to help take care of whatever need is there at this time.  Find someone to trust with investments and begin my retirement career as a fisherman.

1. Set aside money for taxes

2. Set aside money to live my life in its current state for 40 to 50 years.

3. Bring in 2 coaches for lee Co and rebuild all of tw facilities. (tax write off)

4.Set up scholarship for selected lee Co students athlete (min 5) (tax write off)

5. Buy land to bring "good" jobs and build up lee co.

I think the most important thing is to KNOW who your family and friends are because after you win, you'll have more than you've ever known about. 

As for me, my mother and my wife's parents would be well taken care of.  I can count on one hand (OK, maybe I'd need another finger or two) who my REAL FRIENDS are...so I've got that covered...and if you are on that list, consider yourself lucky.  My wife also knows who her real friends are, too.  So, if your not on "the list", the answer is NO.

But seriously, if you win that much money, you will have to become somewhat of an asshole because everyone and their mother will be coming to you for handouts...you have to learn to say NO, sometime. 

I would make fantastic donations to Graham and Bluefield High Schools.  I would also make donations to Bluefield College and Bluefield State College.  My wife and I would then have a building named after us somewhere on the campus of Virginia Tech...we're talking a large donation.  BTW, those donations would not be for athletic purposes.  However, I would likely make a very nice donation to the Hokie Club and continue my annual giving and purchases of season tickets to both football and basketball.

We would likely leave Bluefield and buy/build homes in the Blacksburg area and somewhere near the beach.  Nothing outrageously fancy but both very nice.  I don't need a fancy car, just something nice...same with my wife, though we would probably upgrade her BMW.

Other than that, I'd spend the rest of my days either golfing, fishing, hunting, on the beach, or taking road trips to Hokie away games.

Life would change, but life wouldn't really change...

The friends comment above, is why I would build the county up the best and incorruptible way possible. That would help out all the other "friends" more than ever, by providing them with sustainable growth and better quality of life via jobs.

I would use that as a polite to say NO

I never really answered what I would do with the money.

I would create a charitable corporation that would specialize in providing trade education and employment to those with criminal histories involving incarceration.  After living in this world for a few years, by far the largest predictor of success after incarceration is sustainability, and that's something for which there is almost zilch in SWVA and rural Appalachia.

I would establish three branches to this operation.  

The first would be a technical school for those who have no job training whatsoever, to be done while on probation or shortly after misdemeanor incarceration.    We're talking masonry, carpentry, welding, truck driving, mechanic, machinist, beautician, etc.  People are no good to employers without skills, and a trade that can be learned in 1-2 years (whereas the average length of probation is 3 years on felonies) would be something that would set them up for long-term success while otherwise working to pay off their fines.  The second would be working with the actual corporation itself.  During the later stages of probation, or for those who already have a trade, a charitable corporation could underbid the Hell out of public procurement contracts and secure enough work to last a lifetime.  This is aside from establishing a solid reputation in the community.  The third would be job placement services, more along the lines of a headhunter operation than a temp agency.  We're talking everything from mock interviews, to resume workshops, to job fairs, etc.  And with a trade plus 1-2 years of actual work experience and proving themselves on probation, those people are marketable (again).  Ideally, you would like to send some of them off to receive training so that they could come back to the corporation and themselves teach some of the trade courses.

The investment would be extremely substantial at first, at least until donations and governmental grants/funding would come in.  It would never run at a profit, but ideally, the "student body" would lessen over time.  This is life improvement, after all.