Richlands/Union- Round 2

Ryan4VT

Switching gears back to the game, it sounded like a really good one. Richlands has had a brutal schedule here at the end of the season, so the fact that they continue to play at a high level bodes well for them over the upcoming weeks. Despite not beating Union in one of these match ups, they solidified their spot in my eyes as one of the teams around here with the talent to make a serious run. There were a lot of fouls called in this game, and I think I remember that Noaks, Mitchell, and Ball all had four fouls beSore the end of the third quarter. Could someone say if it a pretty well called game or did the officials just not let them play?

Mitchell, Nokes, Ball and Lowe all had 4 fouls heading into the 4th. Phillips picked up his 4th shortly after. And several more Union players did as well. I wasn't there, but from the radio it seemed like they were pretty constant in calling any contact a foul.

And several of those foul shots came at the end of the game when Richlands kept fouling to stop the clock late in the game........

Good teams get to the charity stripe.  

Should be interesting come tournament time.

Just curious about Richlands schedule. Are most of these makeup games due to weather? That's a brutal stretch for any team.

Yeah. Snow wreaked havoc on the schedule. If you go back to the Grund game on the 27th, from that day until Friday is 16 days, and Richlands will have played 12 games in that span. 4 of them are makeup games. And the game @ Bluefield got cancelled completely.

Only way to get better is to play stiff competition...

This. I'd rather play the big boys and have a few losses but get better as a result than play a pushover each week. The Bluefield @ Richlands game on Friday should have a good crowd.

Dang!  You know I'm just fuzzin' with you...don't you???

I'm pretty pumped about the post season. Hoping its not a Martinsville and Dan River show again this year. They seem to be pretty loaded again.

Same here.  Graham had Martinsville on the ropes last year and let them go.  Plenty of quality teams in this area, some good coaching and discipline from the players and you never know what could happen.  I'll always pull for the boys from SWVA..... let's get em.

Same here. Graham had Martinsville on the ropes last year and let them go. Plenty of quality teams in this area, some good coaching and discipline from the players and you never know what could happen. I'll always pull for the boys from SWVA..... let's get em.

Does Martinsville have the same team back from last year or did they lose some players? I had read where Graham gave them a scare but wasn't sure how it ended. I feel like there's plenty enough talented teams in SWVA this year for the trophy to end up on this end of the state. Just gotta get hot at the right time and like you said.... Pair it with some good coaching. The biggest issue that I've seen with most of the good teams around SWVA this year is the lack of consistent play from week to week. May be largely due to having stretches of 3 or 4 games in 4 or 5 days too.....I try not to make excuses but those stretches are rough.

I hope Union @ GC hassn't been cancelled! Been looking forward to this game for a good while now.

Does Martinsville have the same team back from last year or did they lose some players? I had read where Graham gave them a scare but wasn't sure how it ended. I feel like there's plenty enough talented teams in SWVA this year for the trophy to end up on this end of the state. Just gotta get hot at the right time and like you said.... Pair it with some good coaching. The biggest issue that I've seen with most of the good teams around SWVA this year is the lack of consistent play from week to week. May be largely due to having stretches of 3 or 4 games in 4 or 5 days too.....I try not to make excuses but those stretches are rough.

I hope Union @ GC hassn't been cancelled! Been looking forward to this game for a good while now.

Just saw that it's still on, per the GC twitter account.

Yea I got word it was still on too. But after you posted that they had cancelled the Richlands/Graham game I had a gut feeling things may change. We didn't get alot of snow here in Hiltons.....how much did you get up that way? Wondering how much snow fell in Big Stone Gap too?

Yea I got word it was still on too. But after you posted that they had cancelled the Richlands/Graham game I had a gut feeling things may change. We didn't get alot of snow here in Hiltons.....how much did you get up that way? Wondering how much snow fell in Big Stone Gap too?

I'm the wrong person to ask. Lol. I can tell you we have about 2 inches in Blacksburg though.....

The ground is white here too and I live on a gravel road way off the beaten path past the Carter Fold....yet the roads still aren't all that bad. They were slick earlier this morning when it was still snowing hard but I think most of the roads are good now.

If they are going to cancel the game they wont wait too much longer to call it off will they?

Graham probably should have beat Martinsville last year but that's kind of been the Dogs Mo for years, teams get close but can't put them away.I go way back to the 60's and there has only been a few of their 14 championship teams that were truly dominant. The teams in SWVa definitely have a good chance to advance this year because they are some obviously really good teams, Gate City and Union just to name a couple, but it's just hard to beat them come playoff time.