Gate City vs Martinsville....

RiverRat24

Thoughts and predictions? I mean I know the general consensus on whos gonna win....but let's hear some score spreads. I know Holland and Martin have been near impossible to stop and Bradley's defense is pestering.....and they play the zone defense to near perfection. So...If GC shoots the ball like the did against Richlands in the first half, I will be the first to say it will be over in the first qtr. The only hope is that they may try to press like they did against Graham last year and McClung may be able to beat the press. But considering McClung is GCs only true ball handler....beating their press will be tough if they decide to run it.

If both teams bring their 'A' game I feel GC may be able to keep it within 10-15 points. If GC is hot and Martinsville isn't shooting well and GC plays a zone and limits Holland to 20 pts and under, they may have a shot. Ervin, Barnes, and Qualls can't wait til the 2nd half to show up for this one or it will be over before they tie their shoe laces.

With that being said....good luck to the Devils and safe travels to Mavahi. I'm gonna say:

Mavahi-76 GC-63

Thoughts and predictions? I mean I know the general consensus on whos gonna win....but let's hear some score spreads. I know Holland and Martin have been near impossible to stop and Bradley's defense is pestering.....and they play the zone defense to near perfection. So...If GC shoots the ball like the did against Richlands in the first half, I will be the first to say it will be over in the first qtr. The only hope is that they may try to press like they did against Graham last year and McClung may be able to beat the press. But considering McClung is GCs only true ball handler....beating their press will be tough if they decide to run it.

If both teams bring their 'A' game I feel GC may be able to keep it within 10-15 points. If GC is hot and Martinsville isn't shooting well and GC plays a zone and limits Holland to 20 pts and under, they may have a shot. Ervin, Barnes, and Qualls can't wait til the 2nd half to show up for this one or it will be over before they tie their shoe laces.

With that being said....good luck to the Devils and safe travels to Mavahi. I'm gonna say:

Mavahi-76 GC-63

I'd be shocked if the final margin were less than double the margin you predict...

I think Gate City will hang with Mavahi for about a half, but Mavahi will have too much fire power for the Blue Devils to hang for all four quarters.

However, Mavahi loses some mystique when they play on the road.  Oh, yeh, they're still probably the best team in AA but don't look for any 30 point blowouts...unless the team they play has a horrible shooting night...

G-Man you are right about the Dogs away from home. Loss by 3 @ Radford after beating them by 20 at home, loss by 4 @ GW-Danville after beating them by the same margin at home, and loss to a 1 loss Northside team by 8 @ Roanoke College after leading the whole game but the most important part, the last 3:15 of the game.G-Man if you remember last year I said that Mavahi would have trouble with Graham because of Graham's great guard play, this year I say that GC can give the Dogs fits because they have more than 1 good 3 point shooter. They have several after seeing them last night against Richlands. In the 3 losses by the Dogs this year the same theme came up, they got hurt by multiple 3point shooters. Martinsville is going to try and turn you over, run and run some more and get it inside to Holland. They are senior heavy and these sr. Have been to the final four the last 2 years. GC is very capable of winning this game if they shoot well.

Are the teams they are blowing just not that good then... Such as Appomattox and a few others they've drubbed? They really have had some crazy blowouts.

I agree that GC may hang with them for a little while but I don't think we have the post presence to score enough points in the paint to really pull off an upset or to keep it close the whole game. GC is gonna have to shoot way better than they did against Richlands to make a game of it. And it's not gonna matter what defense GC tries to use......they won't be slowing down Holland. I'd be happy if they could hold him to 20 pts. Best case scenario.....they manage to get Holland in foul trouble to free up the paint when they are on offense.

Did Graham play them man to man or go zone last year? I think I asked this a week or so ago but don't remember.

Graham tried to make it as tough to get the ball to Holland as they could. Pretty much the Dogs settled for 3 after 3 and couldn't throw it in the ocean. They finally banked a three in late to tie , hit a ft to go up one and survived on a late Graham turn over. One thing they will do is play tough D. Most they given up in one game this year is 60 to Northside, most were held below 50.

I sure hope your right. If I had my choice though, id rather lose to them now and take our chances the 2nd time if we got a chance to play them again down the road. If we was to pull out an upset....the rematch may not go as well if we played againWill 

Will be a great match up!

Are the teams they are blowing just not that good then... Such as Appomattox and a few others they've drubbed? They really have had some crazy blowouts.

I'm not sure about the Courthouse boys, but it was painfully obvious last night that the Courthouse girls are very weak.  If Chatham is their best team, I'd hate to see the rest of the conference.  Chatham has no business still playing.  I honestly think that Lebanon, the CMC's worst team, could've beat Chatham.

My question is, if Martinsville and Dan River wind up playing Saturday, will they even play at Wise?  I won't be able to make it Friday, so I am hoping to get to see both teams play Saturday.

It took 5 minutes after Ridgeview beat Floyd last night for the rumors to start that Floyd and Chatham would not be coming back to Wise on Saturday and that their third place game will be played somewhere closer to them.

Through 24 games, Martinsville is allowing only 42.4 points a game.   Only 5 opponents reached the 50 point plateau, with one of those (Northside) scoring 60.

Sounds like a great defensive team.. could be trouble for GC!

I'm not sure about the Courthouse boys, but it was painfully obvious last night that the Courthouse girls are very weak.  If Chatham is their best team, I'd hate to see the rest of the conference.  Chatham has no business still playing.  I honestly think that Lebanon, the CMC's worst team, could've beat Chatham.

My question is, if Martinsville and Dan River wind up playing Saturday, will they even play at Wise?  I won't be able to make it Friday, so I am hoping to get to see both teams play Saturday.

It took 5 minutes after Ridgeview beat Floyd last night for the rumors to start that Floyd and Chatham would not be coming back to Wise on Saturday and that their third place game will be played somewhere closer to them.

So can VHSL re-route a tourney?

So can VHSL re-route a tourney?

They've been known to do that a time or two, yes.

Roanoke Times Twitter account reported the possible location change for Floyd and Chatham girls last night.

The absolute worst and most disgraceful one happened last year when they took the entire 1A West Volleyball tournament away from Rye Cove and moved it to Marion because Auburn threw a hissy fit about having to go to Rye Cove.  Rye Cove was in the tournament.  They didn't deserve to have the tournament taken from them if they were a part of it.  I can understand the scenario of Floyd and Chatham above a little bit better.  They're both 2.5+ hours from Wise, sure, if they want to play somewhere else, go ahead.

Just in this region alone they moved games the last 2 years. Martinsville and DR have won the semis the past 2 years at Floyd in '14 and at Richlands last year then they moved the championship games to Magna Vista both years.

Their pesky defense is what I'm interested in seeing. Wondering if GC can handle the pressure and not panic and make a bunch of bad passes that lead to easy layups. When the bad passes start happening and the defense starts to get into your head... Emotions to start take off and bad fouls happen.

GC had a couple spurts against Richlands where they made several bad passes in a row around halfcourt.....just being careless with the ball and getting in a rush.

One thing is for sure....they will know what it takes after Friday to contend for a state title. If they get their butts handed to them....they will have 2 more games left to figure it out.

Just in this region alone they moved games the last 2 years. Martinsville and DR have won the semis the past 2 years at Floyd in '14 and at Richlands last year then they moved the championship games to Magna Vista both years.

So, it's a safe bet they will do it again then if they both win/lose tomorrow night.  So, Wise will probably only have two games on Saturday.

I'm assuming the MHS and Dan River boys will just spend the night in Wise at a motel then? That would be a whole lot of traveling back and forth. Not to mention the GC/MHS game probably won't be over til about 10 o'clock. Well...techinically it may be over by 8:15...

They actually started Ridgeview/Floyd County last night about 10-15 minutes early.  They started it promptly 20 minutes after the Union/Chatham final buzzer... So, a warning to the wise, if you're only showing up for the late game tomorrow night, be sure to get there by 7:30.  Same goes for Saturday.