My thoughts of Graham and Richlands

SWVAgridiron

I went to this game as a mutual observer and would just like to post what I thought about it. This is opinion based, so do not get defensive.

Graham

Got up 3 tds and started playing to not lose instead of playing to win. Seems like the play calling even changed after going up 21 points. Talent and speed on the offensive side, however their O-line struggled all night. Richlands D-Line was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. Cousins is a stud, but needs to learn to run north and south. Dancing around from side to side will only work on a weak defense. QB has a solid arm, but just did not have enough time to scan the field, Graham receivers were open all night. Defense was solid for the first quarter but got too relaxed. Secondary needs some help, they got speed but Richlands had them looking lost for most of the game. They also need to play more disciplined. I see them finishing 7-3, and being a force in the playoffs.

Richlands

One of the few teams I've watched that know that no matter what the score, they're still in the game to win. Made some great adjustments and took the momentum from Graham.

Offensively, they know how to pick a defense apart, but they need to establish a run game. JLA should not have to be the leading rusher. Kid has a good vision and runs hard, but all it takes is one good lick to end it all for him. I would utilize #5 more. Codie Howie is like lightening, if he gets one step on you then you won't catch him. I would like to see more slant routes from him instead of the bubble screen and going deep. Great play calling by the coaching staff, but #80 needs more balls thrown to him.

Defensively the Blues are stout. They done a great job not letting Cousins get on the outside of them. I like how they bend but don't break. They are not at the level that I think they were last season, but that'll change as they get deeper into the season. I see them winning out and battleing for the #1 seed with Appomattox.

Again this is just my opinion. 2 good teams that may meet up again. I'll be watching Graham again in 2 weeks at Spartan Stadium.

I loved this game.  I know as a Ridgeview supporter, I wouldn't want to see either team across from me in the bracket in the playoffs.

Who does Graham have left on their schedule as possible losses that is making you think 7-3 SWVAGridiron?

I know they still have Galax, Giles and Abingdon left if I'm not mistaken.  All three of those are ? marks I would think.

The crowd looked to me to be about 7,500.  I thought it was a good competitive game, and that Graham's receivers got a case of dropsy in the second half.  Landon Lowe did on the football field to Graham the same thing he did on the basketball court in the Conference Championship.

I would love to see a rematch.

I agree, it was a very competitive game.  I believe it is very likely we will see a rematch!!

I am not sure why they didn't involve Scottie Ball in the offense more.  I know Graham had #10 on him and it looked like they had Cousin playing safety on the same side.  If their game plan was to slow down Ball, they did that but Howie had a great night.  

Good luck to the Gmen the rest of the way!!  Except of course, in the potential rematch!! :) lol

I agree, it was a very competitive game. I believe it is very likely we will see a rematch!!

I am not sure why they didn't involve Scottie Ball in the offense more. I know Graham had #10 on him and it looked like they had Cousin playing safety on the same side. If their game plan was to slow down Ball, they did that but Howie had a great night.

Good luck to the Gmen the rest of the way!! Except of course, in the potential rematch!! :) lol

On the radio they said Scottie had a bad ankle? That might have something to do with him not being involved more.

Yea, that's possible.  I thought he was healed up from it though.  It had happened in preseason.  But, you know how ankle injuries are.  They can hamper someone for quite a while before they are back to 100%

Kudos to RHS for never panicking when going down 21. That is a sign of a good team and great coaching. The G-Men were just getting whipped on the lines after the first quarter. Graham backfield couldn't get anything going because they were getting hit/pressured as soon as the ball was snapped. I felt it was very dumb on Graham's part to keep pooch kicking the kick offs!! Why they felt that was necessary I'll never know. Giving a team like Richlands a short field on purpose is insane. Heck, Richlands almost returned one pooch kick for 6 but Graham made a TD saving tackle to stop it. It was an exciting game for sure. Hate we came out on the short end of it but glad we were competitive this year....looking forward to a possible rematch!!

I also thought Booker had a really good game for the Blues on offense and defense.  Had to be both fun and a little difficult for him to come back and play against Graham in Bluefield,  but thought he handled it well !

I heard,  but not sure if true ( was told that by somebody at the game, so take that for what it's worth )  that Scotty may have tweaked his ankle again,  nothing serious,  and he should be fine this week and I'm sure after watching film of the blues Graham saw how Scotty hurt Union,  I think they wanted to make sure he didn't hurt them, and you have to pick your poison when you play the blues with all the different weapons they have.  Tonight it was Howie, Lowe, and Bookers turn.  I think the fact that Ball was out there help to keep Cousin away from Howie,  but man, J Cousin can lay the wood. !   

No doubt!!  Cousin can hit for sure.  He is quite a ball player!!  I feel like Graham should get the ball to him more.  Especially get him in space out of the backfield with some short passes and let him make plays.  He is capable of breaking one any time he gets the ball.

I don't believe Ball was hurting in this game.  I believe he just had a bad evening with his routes by the way coaches were talking to him on sidelines.  It happens.  I heard lots of talk before this game on how JLA was going to put up 300+ yds passing against our defense.  After watching this one, especially the first half I would put Richlands pass defense in the same "suspect" category as Graham's.  I really don't understand why we are not using Cousin more.  I thought we threw the ball to him a few times a game last year.  This year not so much.  I guess we'll see how we bounce back.  The staff and kids should've learned a lot last night.  That was a great game.  

On a side note I don't think the kid that let Landon Lowe #80 last night borrow his jersey will be wearing it again.  It will be a gown on the kid. Landon had a great game.  

On the radio they said Scottie had a bad ankle? That might have something to do with him not being involved more.

Scottie twisted his ankle against Belfry and hasn't been 100% yet. Collins isn't 100% yet either. Richlands was really sore this week coming out of the Union game and then having a short week. Now they have a couple extra days of rest. Could be helpful.

Probably not going to see a rematch. Appomattox is almost certainly earning #1 overall, while Richlands is almost certainly earning #2 overall. Union's likely #3 if they finish at 9-1. Graham is likely ending up in the #4-#5 range, assuming a loss to favored Abingdon.

The only interesting question arises if Richlands loses to Abingdon, but Graham beats Abingdon. That could vault Graham to #2/3 and put Richlands at #2/3. There would be the rematch. But it's unlikely.

Probably not going to see a rematch. Appomattox is almost certainly earning #1 overall, while Richlands is almost certainly earning #2 overall. Union's likely #3 if they finish at 9-1. Graham is likely ending up in the #4-#5 range, assuming a loss to favored Abingdon.

The only interesting question arises if Richlands loses to Abingdon, but Graham beats Abingdon. That could vault Graham to #2/3 and put Richlands at #2/3. There would be the rematch. But it's unlikely.

Dan River could make a play for a top 4 seed. They are undefeated as of now and have Appomattox on 10/7. 

Question about Dan River. Do they only have 9 games?  Bartlett Yancey, NC is listed September 2 but the NC school doesn't list Dan River. I cannot find a score so it appears there was no game. VHSL still hasn't listed week 2 scores. Does anyone know about this game?

Question about Dan River. Do they only have 9 games?  Bartlett Yancey, NC is listed September 2 but the NC school doesn't list Dan River. I cannot find a score so it appears there was no game. VHSL still hasn't listed week 2 scores. Does anyone know about this game?

Dan River said they had a contract. Bartlett Yancey said they didn't. They didn't play last year and VHSL gave Dan River a win by forfeit. I'm assuming they are doing the same this year. Don't know for sure though.