Graham vs. Giles

futbolking

G-men looked to have gotten too relaxed in their play calling just like they did against Richlands. Their d-line is also being dominated. Giles probably has almost 200 yards rushing so far. Starting full back and wing back injured. Should be a good second half![/quote

Any idea the severity of the injuries?

Giles overcome a lot tonight with injuries to probably two best players on defense and offense out of game. Other then giving up the one big run and the punt return for TD Giles handles Graham offense. Cousin dint do much of anything but run his mouth like usual. Thought Giles had the game won on the 4th down stop but a horse collar tackle gave Graham the ball back. Still not sure about the call but it's football. Giles I'd say 3 to 1 in time of possession which is what u have to do against Graham. Proud of the boys tonight. Hard to beat a good team with your two studs out. Bad news for Giles is Chapman is probably done for season. Heard he would have to have pins put in finger

Giles overcome a lot tonight with injuries to probably two best players on defense and offense out of game. Other then giving up the one big run and the punt return for TD Giles handles Graham offense. Cousin dint do much of anything but run his mouth like usual. Thought Giles had the game won on the 4th down stop but a horse collar tackle gave Graham the ball back. Still not sure about the call but it's football. Giles I'd say 3 to 1 in time of possession which is what u have to do against Graham. Proud of the boys tonight. Hard to beat a good team with your two studs out. Bad news for Giles is Chapman is probably done for season. Heard he would have to have pins put in finger

I sense a little hostility ^^^

Yeah I was proud of the Spartans tonight....could have gotten ugly early but this team fought all night and was one play away from the win. But they called the penalty and Graham scored after that. Tough loss for us and tough to lose Chapman but the kids hung in there and fought. Graham has a good team and tons of speed and we held them in check pretty well after the first 2 plays.

On to yet another tough game next Friday at Galax....we need to get some players healthy before heading there to play the always physical Maroon Tide

Did you two attend the game? The radio said there were some awful spots by the refs (4 or 5 against Graham, 1 or 2 against Giles) and a roughing the passer wasn't warranted? Just wondering what the opinion was of someone who seen it live?

I think everything winger pointed out was pretty much spot on....tough loss for Giles....Big win for Graham...must have been they rushed the field after the game LOL

I meant toward Cousin.

This was a huge win for Graham. gives them a lot of momentum going against probably their toughest opponent of the year next week (Abingdon) and gives them the confidence that they can keep battling and win a close game.

Did you two attend the game? The radio said there were some awful spots by the refs (4 or 5 against Graham, 1 or 2 against Giles) and a roughing the passer wasn't warranted? Just wondering what the opinion was of someone who seen it live?

One of the worst and most blatant I have seen. Terrible spots against Graham. Two 4th down conversions denied.....multiple extra yards given with spots for Giles....Multiple yards taken away on spots for Graham.... The roughing the passer call was ridiculous and a personal foul called on Graham when the Giles kid was holding the Graham kid on the ground..and wouldn't let him up. Of course the kid is going to jump up and get in his face... at the very least it should have been offsettngand that's just what I can remember.....they were consistently horrible.

From watching the game, the officiating was questionable all night long on both sides. Like others have said, some of the spots marked by the refs were ridiculous and they only measured spots for both teams maybe once. Giles is one heck of a football team and I'm so proud of the G-men for going into one of the toughest places to play in the area and walking out victorious! Good luck to Giles on the rest of your season and speedy recovery for your injured guys

Yeah that's very bad news if Chapman is out the rest of the season. He is very good on both sides of the ball. Hopefully he can bounce back quicker than anticipated.

One of the worst and most blatant I have seen. Terrible spots against Graham. Two 4th down conversions denied.....multiple extra yards given with spots for Giles....Multiple yards taken away on spots for Graham.... The roughing the passer call was ridiculous and a personal foul called on Graham when the Giles kid was holding the Graham kid on the ground..and wouldn't let him up. Of course the kid is going to jump up and get in his face... at the very least it should have been offsettngand that's just what I can remember.....they were consistently horrible.

Well said! I cannot tell you how proud I am of those G-Men. It took three touchdowns in the final minutes to win ... finally the third touchdown was counted and most certainly became the charm!

Hats off to the Spartans and good luck for the remainder of the season.

I have a confession guys.  I left Richlands, got to Claypool Hill and turned left.  No disrespect to the Bearcat Nation, but, I decided I would rather watch a competetive game than a blowout.  I ended up in Pearisburg and watched a great game.  I guess that makes me an impartial observer, so here's my take.

Singlewinger92's comments are a little off base and have a "sour grapes" feel to me. Your first sentence begins with an excuse which is pretty crappy and then start bad mouthing Graham players???  The only negative thing that I saw from Graham players was the stomping before the game. The officiating was not good.  No surprise they hadn't lost a home game since 2012.  Graham got screwed on the ball spot, the roughing the passer call was laughable and two phantom penalties in a row that brought back back to back touchdowns almost started a riot.  The horse collar penalty that allowed Graham to continue the drive should never have happened because they had already scored twice on that drive (phantom penalties.)

The 3 to 1 ratio on TOP is pretty close.  I have never seen a team that run that many plays in a game and lose.  They drove the field and kept running out of gas.  I will give Giles credit.  No negative plays and no turnovers that I remember.  I like conservative, they almost pulled a victory against a very talented team.  For Graham, the short flat passes to # 7 helped open the offense up, I thought Graham didn't pursue the short passing game enough.  That would really be beneficial for their running game.  When Giles threw the ball down inside the five and got the PI call, I felt the defensive coaches blew that.  It was 4th and 16 and you go straight man with no help.  They should have seen that pass coming.  Bad coverage call, bailed out Giles.  For most of the game, Graham's play calling was eratic.  The last drive was executed well.  Graham needs to tackle better and their Defensive Line kept getting too deep in the backfield.  Their Ends got up field too quickly as well.  I liked the Mason kid (# 64)  he is a hustler and seemed to be around the ball often.

Overall, a great victory for Graham.  I can see them as the 3rd best team in 2A (could beat the top 2 on any given night.)  The G-Men have tons of speed!!!  Congratulations to Graham on a BIG win!!!!!!!!  Oh by the way, my father and I sat with three gentlemen from Bluefield that had played for BurrHead Bradley.  Had a great conversation with those guys.

I have a confession guys.  I left Richlands, got to Claypool Hill and turned left.  No disrespect to the Bearcat Nation, but, I decided I would rather watch a competetive game than a blowout.  I ended up in Pearisburg and watched a great game.  I guess that makes me an impartial observer, so here's my take.

Singlewinger92's comments are a little off base and have a "sour grapes" feel to me. Your first sentence begins with an excuse which is pretty crappy and then start bad mouthing Graham players???  The only negative thing that I saw from Graham players was the stomping before the game. The officiating was not good.  No surprise they hadn't lost a home game since 2012.  Graham got screwed on the ball spot, the roughing the passer call was laughable and two phantom penalties in a row that brought back back to back touchdowns almost started a riot.  The horse collar penalty that allowed Graham to continue the drive should never have happened because they had already scored twice on that drive (phantom penalties.)

The 3 to 1 ratio on TOP is pretty close.  I have never seen a team that run that many plays in a game and lose.  They drove the field and kept running out of gas.  I will give Giles credit.  No negative plays and no turnovers that I remember.  I like conservative, they almost pulled a victory against a very talented team.  For Graham, the short flat passes to # 7 helped open the offense up, I thought Graham didn't pursue the short passing game enough.  That would really be beneficial for their running game.  When Giles threw the ball down inside the five and got the PI call, I felt the defensive coaches blew that.  It was 4th and 16 and you go straight man with no help.  They should have seen that pass coming.  Bad coverage call, bailed out Giles.  For most of the game, Graham's play calling was eratic.  The last drive was executed well.  Graham needs to tackle better and their Defensive Line kept getting too deep in the backfield.  Their Ends got up field too quickly as well.  I liked the Mason kid (# 64)  he is a hustler and seemed to be around the ball often.

Overall, a great victory for Graham.  I can see them as the 3rd best team in 2A (could beat the top 2 on any given night.)  The G-Men have tons of speed!!!  Congratulations to Graham on a BIG win!!!!!!!!  Oh by the way, my father and I sat with three gentlemen from Bluefield that had played for BurrHead Bradley.  Had a great conversation with those guys.

Well said! Glad you decided to come to the game ... no doubt, we all got our monies worth. Great game and great comeback by the G-Men. Those last minute touchdowns ... all 3 of them ... were hard to come by tonight. Finally, the third one was the charm! Still shaking my head all the way back to Roanoke.

My honest opinion there were bad calls on both sides. But Giles could've put this game away early had they not stalled out 5 times near the red zone. Losing Chapman I feel contributed to that. He's the best runner Giles has. Had he not for injured my OPINION is that Giles wins by 3 tds. Again that's just my opinion. Great game though, hope these 2 meet up again.

My honest opinion there were bad calls on both sides. But Giles could've put this game away early had they not stalled out 5 times near the red zone. Losing Chapman I feel contributed to that. He's the best runner Giles has. Had he not for injured my OPINION is that Giles wins by 3 tds. Again that's just my opinion. Great game though, hope these 2 meet up again.

Missing four 4th downs hurts (and it should have been 6-7). You have to be willing to play the field position game with Graham. Graham is not particularly great at sustaining drives, and Graham's defense is stout against the run. Bad matchup for Giles, and poor strategy on 4th downs.

This could well be a 4-5 matchup in the 2nd round, and Giles is a team I'd rather not play twice. Good team, good program.

Been a while since I had been to Giles for a high school football game and it definitely didn't disappoint.  Giles has a great team, staff, and fan base.  What an atmosphere for high school football.  Giles dominated the LOS battle pretty much all night.  I think Graham will match up against Abingdon better than Galax for that reason.  Our line just isn't big enough or strong enough to handle a Giles or Galax this year on the LOS.  Although the Kastner kid had a pretty good game.   To me the difference in the ball game was speed.  Giles did a great job containing Cousin and Meade because of the ability to get penetration.  Be nice to see the stats for the game.

As for Cousin not doing much but "run his mouth like usual" you don't know this kid very well.  I've never once heard him talk trash.  I'm not saying he doesn't he may very well.  I have noticed when you see his head bobbing around after a play and he's talking to another player he's telling him good job, good hit, nice run, etc.  Most kids come off the field and talk about him being a very good sport.  Off the field it's pretty obvious that his family has done a great job raising him to be a respectful young man.  

Honestly that was a flag happy crew. That being said all of the calls on the last drive were obvious. The block in the back and holding on the touchdown runs were easy to see. The horse collar was easy to see also.

Just found out that Chapman will be at for atleast 4 weeks... That hurts considering what we have coming up the next 2 weeks. My prediction now is that Giles finishes 7-3 with maybe an 8 seed. If meadows can step up at the full back spot then I think we can take Glenvar. And I did see some jawing from Graham last night but I did see some from Giles as well. And Cousin wasn't the player from Graham that I seen doing it. It was #10 and #6 I believe.

Just found out that Chapman will be at for atleast 4 weeks... That hurts considering what we have coming up the next 2 weeks. My prediction now is that Giles finishes 7-3 with maybe an 8 seed. If meadows can step up at the full back spot then I think we can take Glenvar. And I did see some jawing from Graham last night but I did see some from Giles as well. And Cousin wasn't the player from Graham that I seen doing it. It was #10 and #6 I believe.

Hope Chapman can get back in 4 weeks that would be great. I think meadows will do fine he was running very hard last night and I think he did very well. I think Giles can take Glenvar down. Galax I don't believe Giles can unless they play a near perfect game.