Richlands last year vs. this year

Swvafan72

Who needs coach Mance when we have the sheer genius of local insight?

Which member of the team is is your wannabe running back relative?

I have no relative on the team. 

Sorry for posting a obvious thought. I apologize ole' great one. I shall ask for your permission to post for this day forward. 

I have no relative on the team.

Sorry for posting a obvious thought. I apologize ole' great one. I shall ask for your permission to post for this day forward.

I didn't see anything wrong with your posts. Of course when Richlands isn't ranked at the top, you'll have some of these responses from a couple.

Richlands has no excuse for not having a running game. They have had multiple games to develop a running game (Gate City, Virginia High, Bluefield, Tazewell, Grundy) They have a a few guys who could play running back. Dylan Elswick for example, which has always played RB until the past year. Sure Codie Howie will make a good running back, but it will be obvious to what Richlands will be running when he goes from WR to RB. Well they are moving Howie to running back must be planning to throw it deep. I mean come on.

Everything you said here is spot on. Keep telling the truth and you'll learn that some people keep sore backsides.

That'll be stupid to move Cody to RB with him trying to heal from a fracture toe but what do I know. From what I'ved research is that James, Dylan & Seth was suppose to be your stable of horses this year but they also needed to fill the LB spots so they pulled Dylan & Seth and that just left James. Than you guys get Booker and Chase goes to RB which I think is crazy cause the kid is more useful at his old position slot. But for you Big Blue fans your team better get there house in order before the playoffs start or just get your basketball shoes out like Bluefield is getting ready to do!! Graham is coming for you!!!

. Mance moving Howie to tailback is a kool-aid I'll happily drink.

I dont like it. Howie is not a RB. Yeh sure if he gets a good lane he could be gone but the line hasnt been good at getting to the 2nd level. Like another poster said its not a big mystery what theyre gonna do when hes back there. Id say just keep pounding Collins and White.

I dont like it. Howie is not a RB. Yeh sure if he gets a good lane he could be gone but the line hasnt been good at getting to the 2nd level. Like another poster said its not a big mystery what theyre gonna do when hes back there. Id say just keep pounding Collins and White.

I was told he was a running back prior to moving to Richlands. While Howie has had maybe 4 carries from tailback this year, he's had the two most memorable runs. The first being a 26 yard run against Bluefield that was called back because Howie hurdled a tackler. The second was the 68 yard touchdown run against Bluefield that was also called back. How many other 68 yard runs from scrimmage has Richlands had this year? I don't recall any.

Doesn't matter....he's still had the two most electrifying runs of the year from a running back at Richlands. And while having minimal carries. Actual "old school football" relied on getting the ball in the hands of the team's best athlete as often as possible.

Anybody and everybody had electrifying runs on Bluefield this year. I don't know that I'd read too much into that.

A good coach will see the film and know what's going to happen when #11 goes to the backfield... just like local_insight said.

He would make a hellavu decoy on a playaction though..

I just need to get this off my chest! I hear all this talk about this year vs last year but the real question is how good is rich lands without the Johnson family from West Virginia and Blankenship from tazewell and the graham transfers and all the damn lineman from Honaker. You guys wanna fire your coach after one loss imagine how long ago he would of been on the hot seat if you didn't have them transfers. Go Moorrons! P.s. G-Men coming for ya. 🎣

Anybody and everybody had electrifying runs on Bluefield this year. I don't know that I'd read too much into that.

A good coach will see the film and know what's going to happen when #11 goes to the backfield... just like local_insight said.

He would make a hellavu decoy on a playaction though..

Richlands has a wealth of receivers. The idea that play selection has to be any different when Howie is back there, as opposed to any of the other backs, is quite simply, silly. They can run from the I as they would typically run from the I. As you say, he would make a hell of a decoy on play action......

My only concern is possible injury, but if Richlands doesn't improve their run game, their odds of reaching the title game are extremely poor.

Why is Richlands just now working on its run game this close to playoffs I wish them the best but if you meet Graham it's over cause coach Palmer got that team rolling right now and they're focus on what's at state! Just look at them compare to Richlands right now they are getting things done on the field and weight room while Richlands looks smaller now from the start of the season! Weight room conditioning is a must come playoffs teams are a lot more bigger and physical especially 3rd round opponents & state championship! I see you Blues got two weeks to get back in weight room shape and get your run game fixed! Good luck!!! Cause 1,2 Graham coming for u!!!

Richlands has a wealth of receivers. The idea that play selection has to be any different when Howie is back there, as opposed to any of the other backs, is quite simply silly. They can run from the I as they would typically run from the I. As you say, he would make a hell of a decoy on play action......

My only concern is possible injury, but if Richlands doesn't improve their run game, their odds of reaching the title game are extremely poor.

I actually agree with you.

richlands does have MANY receivers capable of making big plays. My question is why does Asbury lock onto Howie 80% of the time?

Also, I'm not sold on Richlands running the "I" when it matters. They've had the personnel to run the in the I in the past and Mance has religiously stuck with the spread. I would hope he would think about it going forward but if I was a Richlands fan I would've hoped he would've thought about it 8-10 weeks ago.

I actually agree with you.. They've had the personnel to run the in the I in the past and Mance has religiously stuck with the spread. I would hope he would think about it going forward but if I was a Richlands fan I would've hoped he would've thought about it 8-10 weeks ago.

They ran from the I over 50% of the time against Lebanon. Not with Howie, as he and Lowe didn't play due to their injuries. I was told that the plan has been to run Howie from the I behind Lowe for quite some time now. They sampled it against Bluefield, but since then, they've had nagging injuries which I'm sure has delayed further implementation.

Regarding the QB position, I'm not sure what's going on there. A couple of weeks ago, Mance mentioned on the pre-game radio show that he wanted to get the sophomore QB, Trey Brown, into the game earlier than mop-up duty. Friday night he split time with JLA. I'm thinking he may be trying to light a fire under his starting QB.

This is a quote from Mance after the game:  “We’re just not sharp running the ball, when the other team puts four in the box, you are supposed to be able to run the ball up and down the field. Give Abingdon credit, they had a good defensive scheme and made us one-dimensional.â€

This is what I am hearing on this board in the last two posts.  They ran the ball a lot against Lebanon, and have wanted to run the ball before now but couldn't due to injuries.  The head coach has been looking at giving the # 2 quarterback some time to motivate the starter.  And that Mance put too much on the quarterback and that quarterback panicked.

So......we have a 9-1 team that can't run the ball......now acknowledging the need to run, however, the need was never addressed in the part of the schedule that was the weakest....and now someone claiming a quarterback controversy with the incumbent all state quarterback.

Now, I am not trying to anger anyone nor am I trying to "slap" anyone in the face with my comments.  This is simply paraphrasing and summarizing.  And some people on here think I am silly.

I was one of the few to give Abingdon credit for having the perfect plan to beat us. My comment about JLA being overwhelmed came straight from Mance. Wasn't making an excuse. I was responding to why I thought he stared down Howie the whole game.

Plain and simple. Mance has set a bar in SW VA. Several Teams today vs 5 years and before ago are close to reaching it. This team with the depth at receiver in 2006 would have been insane nobody knew how to defend this much pass. 

Abingdon , thru 7 on 7 and matchups last few years know Richlands better than anyone, add to that their experience in their coaching staff and you will get a competitor  as good as any you will face at state level.  I would bet they have been sizing up Richlands since last year.

When you get to the state level it as much about the coaching staff's ability to adjust, adapt, and overcome as it is about the athletes.

I sure them coaches will come up with the best they can and seriously given the records they have achieved I would take them over any staff in the state win or loose.

If you notice JLA does the same thing ever game and that's stare down one receiver as soon as the ball is snapped to him and his o line needs to get there act together also they should be killing d line but it's not happening! I feel Trey should've been given a chance in the abingdon game if your starter is struggling put the next man up in don't keep blowing your chance to win the game! Next year team looks to be the true team for Richlands heard they've been together since little league ball!!

This is what I am hearing on this board in the last two posts. They ran the ball a lot against Lebanon, and have wanted to run the ball before now but couldn't due to injuries. The head coach has been looking at giving the # 2 quarterback some time to motivate the starter. And that Mance put too much on the quarterback and that quarterback panicked.

So......we have a 9-1 team that can't run the ball......now acknowledging the need to run, however, the need was never addressed in the part of the schedule that was the weakest....and now someone claiming a quarterback controversy with the incumbent all state quarterback.

Quarterback controversy? Lol, no one said that. I don't think anybody in their right mind would expect him to sit last year's player of the year. I think Mance is probably just trying to hit the reset button on a very good player to get him focused for the playoffs.

As for your comments, you obviously have a gripe with Mance's philosophy in general. As you have a right to do. I will take what we get with his coaching style, as I'm sure most every other school in SWVA would if given the chance to take him.

Quarterback controversy? Lol, no one said that. I don't think anybody in their right mind would expect him to sit last year's player of the year. I think Mance is probably just trying to hit the reset button on a very good player to get him focused for the playoffs.

As for your comments, you obviously have a gripe with Mance's philosophy in general. As you have a right to do. I will take what we get with his coaching style, as I'm sure most every other school in SWVA would if given the chance to take him.

Like you said before. Who needs Mance when you have the ole' great one parsons.