1A/2A Rankings through Dec 31

Dick_Vitale

1A - After seeing GW and Honaker both play multiple games in the UVAW tourney, I think Honaker is the better team. Just something about GW didn't impress me very much. I don't see GW being the #1 ranked team in 1A in the state. If so, it's a weak field. I even think Eastside would give them a run for their money.

2A - I'm on board. Union has been playing well of late, but I still don't think up to their potential. Glad to see some of the young kids getting an opportunity but there's still some depth there that's not being used IMO. I didn't get a chance to see Richlands play since they played early games every day but being pushed by Burton is not a good sign. I don't see anybody challenging GC, not in our part of the state anyway.

2A

1. Gate City -

2. Martinsville -

3. Dan River - even though Chatham beat Dab River, Still think they are better (anything can happen 1 time with high school age kids)

4. Chatham -

5. Union (right now) but Graham and Richlands could by the end of the season.

1A - We Switched Dick Ha - you were right last time

1. Radford - not seen them play this year but I saw them play a good bit last year and the players are just scrappier and have more fight than GW. and your right more athletic.

2. GW - they can shoot the lights out when hot have good enough size and pieces. But not enough of fight when they get punched in the mouth to be number 1 for me.

3. Honaker - Playing well right now, but I thought Richlands was a good bit better when they played earlier. Honaker has got to find out, are they the team that played Richlands or the team this weekend. They shot the ball well Against GW. The game intangibles went Honaker's way against GW. Might not go that way next time.

4. Eastside

5. Chilhowie

Believe me when I say you have Martinsville to high. They are not nearly as strong as last year and they will lose 6-8 games in the regular season. Will still make region because the conference is not strong (you will see what I mean when GC plays Floyd next weekend), but just don't have the firepower to advance far this year.

In my opinion, Martinsville will be seasoned enough by seasons end to compete with just about anyone. (I'm saying this without having seen them play this year) Everyone in the state will have their eyes out for the Dogs. You don't win back to back titles and still bring back several players and not expect to go unnoticed. I think it will be GC, Graham, Martinsville, and DR in the regional play yet again this year. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong. Union could also be in the mix instead of Graham....Seems like the bears are starting to find their groove.

Hey Dick...nice report for all...except Richlands. Literally something positive to say about every other team. I wonder if there's a bit of jealousy leftover from football season? Just a wild guess. Lol!

Continue to be true to your name, Dick.

I'm not really sure what you expected him to say that was positive? What he said was the truth.

They beat lower competition to win the VA high tournament. That undefeated record led a lot of people to believe they would win the UVA wise tournament in which they got put out in their first game by a team that didn't get afforded a bye like Richlands did. The. They struggle against a JIB team that no one would think should be within 15 points of a 2A team that is expected to compete for a top seed.

He kept Richlands in his top 5 which is more than what I would've done. Just having them there shows them more positivity than what they deserve after a poor week of ball. But hey, I forgot - Richlands has a good football team so we have to praise them along with the lord & Fred Phillips!

I'm not really sure what you expected him to say that was positive? What he said was the truth.

They beat lower competition to win the VA high tournament. That undefeated record led a lot of people to believe they would win the UVA wise tournament in which they got put out in their first game by a team that didn't get afforded a bye like Richlands did. The. They struggle against a JIB team that no one would think should be within 15 points of a 2A team that is expected to compete for a top seed.

He kept Richlands in his top 5 which is more than what I would've done. Just having them there shows them more positivity than what they deserve after a poor week of ball. But hey, I forgot - Richlands has a good football team so we have to praise them along with the lord & Fred Phillips!

Amen! Praise the Lord and Fred Phillips!   I understand your comment, I just disagree.  I have no issue with you at all.  But read his previous posts concerning Richlands and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from, maybe not.  The butt hurt gets old. 

Amen! Praise the Lord and Fred Phillips! I understand your comment, I just disagree. I have no issue with you at all. But read his previous posts concerning Richlands and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from, maybe not. The butt hurt gets old.

Well I don't care enough about the situation to do all that but you just seem a little hostile lately. I just don't think what he said above was anything to get upset over. It was the truth.

Mavahi has no size this year. The quickness is still there, but they are limited scoring wise. They still have a bunch of games against some good teams(Halifax, GW-Danville, Franklin Co., RE Lee-Staunton) so they will be battle tested, but each of those games will in all certainty be losses. This is not the last 2 years team. I look for both of the teams from SW to be in the final 4, GC and one of the other 3.

Well I don't care enough about the situation to do all that but you just seem a little hostile lately. I just don't think what he said above was anything to get upset over. It was the truth.

I will be the first to admit that I scratch my head at some decisions with the basketball program. They are a talented team and poised to make a run. But entering the season, they water their schedule down to accommodate for more wins. I just do not see the point in a watered down schedule with a talented team that CAN make a run deep into post season play. I have been a critique of Richlands basketball... I will admit that. But in all that, take it as a compliment. The talent is there but you have to be prepared for post season play. Look at what Richlands/Graham football schedule got them this past year in football. Both teams steam rolled to play each other in the play offs (still a shame someone had to lose that game). GC is stacked with competition and Union played some tough teams early on and are improving. Same goes for about every team in both my top 5s. 

When things settle in mid Feb, I still have Richlands probably 3rd maybe 2nd if Mavahi slips some more. Cool part about all this is though it is just my opinion... Take it or leave it, dont get all "butt hurt" over it. 

It's early season but my Group A top 5 for now:

1. Radford

2. Altavista

3. Honaker

4. George Wythe

5. Northampton

Group 2A

1. Robert E. Lee - Staunton

2. Martinsville

3. King William

4. Page County

5. Gate City

Robert E. Lee is my preseason pick to win the Group 2A state championship. No one from any other conference can play with them.

Basketball - Boys Varsity Roster (as of 01-3-2017)

Robert E. Lee (Staunton)

Number Name Height Grade

1 Velvin, Blaize 5'9 11

2 George, Darius 6'7 12

3 Williams, Jayden 6' 11

4 Pettiford, Jahleel 5'10 11

5 Johnson, Emmanuel 6'6 12

10 Vaughan, Jarvis 6'8 11

12 von Seldenick, Wilson 5'8 10

13 Haliburton, Tyrese 6'2 12

14 Kincheloe, McCarron 5'11 10

20 Dobbins, Tarrod 6'1 11

22 Castle, Everrett 6' 11

24 Elliston, Isaiah 6'3 11

32 Simmons, Douglas 6'3 11

34 Swift, Michael 6'6 11

Robert E. Lee - Staunton vs

Buffalo Gap

Robert E Lee High School,

88 - 48

Win

Alleghany

Robert E Lee High School, G

81 - 70

Win

@ Wilson Memorial

Wilson Memorial High School

68 - 28

Win

@ Buffalo Gap

Buffalo Gap High School

61 - 42

Win

Wilson Memorial

Robert E Lee High School

75-45

Win

@ Broadway

Broadway High School

62 - 35

Win

Harrisonburg

Robert E Lee High School

71 - 61

Win

@ Turner Ashby

Turner Ashby High School

78 - 36

Win

Sherando

Spotswood High School

67 - 54

Win

Amelia County

Spotswood High School

77 - 55

Win

@ Fort Defiance

61 - 51

Win

Group 2A Conference 36

Team OVR RGN

East Rockingham

Current Streak: 5 W

7-2 2-0

Page County

11-1 3-0

Lee

Current Streak: 11 W

11-0 4-0

Stuarts Draft

Current Streak: 2 W

7-2 1-1

Wilson Memorial

Current Streak: 4 L

3-10 1-2

Nelson County

Current Streak: 1 L

2-4 0-2

Buffalo Gap

Current Streak: 8 L

0-8 0-2

Lee's height doesn't really bother me. I was concerned how GC would do against a tall team until I seen them play Knox Christian and the teams in the Arbys. Crazy to think that a team with Lees height would still only be the 4th tallest team GC has faced this year if they got to face off with them.

I'm interested in seeing how Martinsville fairs against Lee. Should be a good matchup and a good measuring stick of how good both teams really are.

It's early season but my Group A top 5 for now:

1. Radford

2. Altavista

3. Honaker

4. George Wythe

5. Northampton

Group 2A

1. Robert E. Lee - Staunton

2. Martinsville

3. King William

4. Page County

5. Gate City

Robert E. Lee is my preseason pick to win the Group 2A state championship. No one from any other conference can play with them.

Basketball - Boys Varsity Roster (as of 01-3-2017)

Robert E. Lee (Staunton)

Number Name Height Grade

1 Velvin, Blaize 5'9 11

2 George, Darius 6'7 12

3 Williams, Jayden 6' 11

4 Pettiford, Jahleel 5'10 11

5 Johnson, Emmanuel 6'6 12

10 Vaughan, Jarvis 6'8 11

12 von Seldenick, Wilson 5'8 10

13 Haliburton, Tyrese 6'2 12

14 Kincheloe, McCarron 5'11 10

20 Dobbins, Tarrod 6'1 11

22 Castle, Everrett 6' 11

24 Elliston, Isaiah 6'3 11

32 Simmons, Douglas 6'3 11

34 Swift, Michael 6'6 11

Robert E. Lee - Staunton vs

Buffalo Gap

Robert E Lee High School,

88 - 48

Win

Alleghany

Robert E Lee High School, G

81 - 70

Win

@ Wilson Memorial

Wilson Memorial High School

68 - 28

Win

@ Buffalo Gap

Buffalo Gap High School

61 - 42

Win

Wilson Memorial

Robert E Lee High School

75-45

Win

@ Broadway

Broadway High School

62 - 35

Win

Harrisonburg

Robert E Lee High School

71 - 61

Win

@ Turner Ashby

Turner Ashby High School

78 - 36

Win

Sherando

Spotswood High School

67 - 54

Win

Amelia County

Spotswood High School

77 - 55

Win

@ Fort Defiance

61 - 51

Win

Group 2A Conference 36

Team OVR RGN

East Rockingham

7-2 2-0

Page County

11-1 3-0

Lee

Current Streak: 11 W

11-0 4-0

Stuarts Draft

Current Streak: 2 W

7-2 1-1

Wilson Memorial

Current Streak: 4 L

3-10 1-2

Nelson County

Current Streak: 1 L

2-4 0-2

Buffalo Gap

Current Streak: 8 L

0-8 0-2

I guarantee GC can play with them. Period.

RE Lee might mop the floor with GC if they get the chance to play.....But I would be surpised if that happened. I don't see anyone in 2A spanking GC this year. They could lose to lots of teams....But getting blown out or not being able to play with a team I don't see happening.