Gate City ...Why not State Champs this year?

Hokie777

Pretty sure MHS has only 2 more regular season games against 2A competition. The game in Lexington against RE Lee and then the last game of the season against Giles.

The comment I made about not going against MHS until a 2A team knocks them off....I was referring to the start of post season play.

I gotcha. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see MHS take the L against Lee. For one, Lee is pretty good with a D1 commit and another 6'7 guy in the middle. Secondly, MHS will have played an even better GW Danville team the night before they have to travel 2 hours to face Lee.

Yea they definitely have some legit talent. But aren't they lacking in guard play? If so, with pressure on those guys handling the ball it may be hard to get the ball to their most talented players. If MHS has the guards that I think they do.....They will cause Lee problems. Whether Lee adjusts to overcome it will determine the game.

Another example of the rampant West bias that permeates the minds of so many here.

There are a good 5-6 teams, at least 3 from the East, that would have a great chance at beating Gate City even if Gate City played a quality game.

One poster has said that, no one else. How could anyone count out Mavahi? Two time champs. RE Lee is apparently loaded inside (but lack guards, GC might can exploit that), Dan River will very good. I dunno anyone else in particular in the East, but there's no guarantee.

But make no mistake, this is GCs chance. McClung is in his last season unless somehow he gets a year younger, so GC has to make the most of it. If GC plays up to their best, they can beat anyone in 2A. Will it happen? Whonthe hell knows.

One poster has said that, no one else. How could anyone count out Mavahi? Two time champs. RE Lee is apparently loaded inside (but lack guards, GC might can exploit that), Dan River will very good. I dunno anyone else in particular in the East, but there's no guarantee.

But make no mistake, this is GCs chance. McClung is in his last season unless somehow he gets a year younger, so GC has to make the most of it. If GC plays up to their best, they can beat anyone in 2A. Will it happen? Whonthe hell knows.

McClung is a Jr...

You do realize McClung is just a Junior...?

I doubt anyone (minus GC fans) wants him to get a year younger overnight and have 2 more years after this year. GC will have the same team next year except for Collier. He's the only senior on the team that gets substantial minutes...And even he hasn't showed up this year like I think he can. When he does....He will for sure be missed. But for now he's not proved to be the force I thought he would be this year living off assists from Mac and Zac. He should be open every drive those guys make to the bucket.

You do realize McClung is just a Junior...?

I doubt anyone wants him to get a year younger overnight and have 2 more years after this year. GC will have the same team next year except for Collier. He's the only senior on the team that gets substantial minutes...And even he hasn't showed up this year like I think he can. When he does....He will for sure be missed. But for now he's not proved to be the force I thought he would be this year living off assists from Mac and Zac. He should be open every drive those guys make to the bucket.

Is there not an age issue? Will he not be too old to play next season? There are specific rules about ages and I thought McClung would have to go prep next season because of his age? Is there not an issue there?

What I was thinking myself Larry. Just seen that his birthday was yesterday. So everyone will have to deal with him again next year....And no I don't think he will go to Prep School either. His sister Anna didn't (and this isn't a knock to Mac in the least) and in comparison to him in her own respective sport... she was a little higher grade of an athlete at the college level and ended up going to FSU then to UT. He's getting all the recognition he needs along with his summertime travel team for TeamLoaded VA.

28A-1-1 in the VHSL handbook stats:

"The student shall not have reached the age of 19 on or before the first day of August of the school year which he/she wishes to compete."

With that being said, McClung will not turn 19 until 1-7-2018.

Getting the facts straight, brought to you by Leatherhead Larry News Network.

God, you just have to love holdbacks...

The things coaches/players/parents will do just to have an advantage over an opponent...sad, really...

Just curios when the whole concept of ''Holdbacks began. What year and when did this start in high school sports? Seems every school has them now. And now the big thing is bringing students from other countries to join your team to aid in winning a championship.

Just curios when the whole concept of ''Holdbacks began. What year and when did this start in high school sports? Seems every school has them now. And now the big thing is bringing students from other countries to join your team to aid in winning a championship.

Back in the 60s with Harry Fry, maybe???  Could have been before or after, but he was the originator...he was also one of the best recruiters SWVA has ever seen.  Lots of kids from Tennessee won VA State Championships during his tenure...

The Wright Brothers asked for Harry Frys advice on building the first airplane. Fry was also believed to have helped Grant take Richmond. And most importantly....He invented and dubbed the term "holdbacks" which changed the world of high school sports forever as we know it.. Harry Fry was the "first" most interesting man in the world.

The Wright Brothers asked for Harry Frys advice on building the first airplane. Fry was also believed to have helped Grant take Richmond. And most importantly....He invented and dubbed the term "holdbacks" which changed the world of high school sports forever as we know it.. Harry Fry was the "first" most interesting man in the world.

Wow! So much education and history to be learned from a sports site! Sports was there when major world events occurred!

The name of this post is ludicrous. Just because this Gate City may have two big prospects doesn't mean they are going to win state. Do you even realize how hard it is to do that? Do you know how much luck it takes? Sounds to me like people in Gate City take winning for granted and place way too high expectations on their athletes. Winning state is a great goal but just because people think they have God's gifts to basketball doesn't mean they will win state.

Some friends of mine from down in the southwest part of the state says Gate City's fans barely cheer for anything. Up here in NoVa I went to a basketball game with a friend from Tech. His team got a rim rattler on a fast break and the fans went nuts! My friends say that the two big hoop stars for Gate City get two to three dunks a game and you would think you were at a funeral! They were actually afraid to yell the crowd was so quiet. Is this really true? Are Gate City fans this bad? I know high schools, especially my friends at Radford, we would go nuts when our guys would even be able to get a dunk. Our battles with Wythe and their soldiers are EPIC! Sounds like Gate City doesn't have any soldiers. Only a bunch of armchair wannabees. Glad I went to a school with real fans who had real opponents who went nuts for their school.

#GoCats!