Gate City ...Why not State Champs this year?

Hokie777

Not sure about the talent level on the Eastern side of Va... Could this be the year Gate City wins the state championship?

From the games at the Arby's, the Gate City team represented SWVA very well. Who do you think on the West side or the East side of Va that would prevent GC from taking the championship? Will their only losses by those of 2016?

Martinsville, Dan River, possibly Uniom and Richlands, and Graham as the season progresses will have something to say about it from the West. RE Lee, Page, Madison, and East Rockingham could all have something to say about it from the East. RE Lee is talented and will no doubt be a contender. I hope those guys think they have it won already....But I doubt the real fans and players have that mindset. (Not that the fans matter anyhow) RE Lee plays Martinsville here soon....That will be a good measure of how good both teams are.

I think those teams can compete and if GC doesn't bring their "A game" they could lose very easily. But if GC plays their best ball I don't think all of those teams I mentioned could beat them.

I think if we bring our "A game", we can beat any AA team in the state.

What worries me is that we rely a lot on perimeter shots. If we have a couple of kids cold at the same time, most of those teams mentioned by River can beat us.

"Our year" might be next year. However, I believe R.E. Lee has something like 8 juniors on their team. Not sure how talented those juniors are, but next year might be "their year" also. :(

Has a far SW VA, boys AA team ever won a state championship?  I know we lost in the finals in 1999 to Salem 54-51.

Looks like GC lost 58-72 to Radford in 2013, 53-58 to George Wythe in 2008, 55-60 to Clark County in 2007, and 51-54 to Salem in 1999.

A few state wins by Single A schools: 1974 Powell Valley 64 Madison County 63. 1972 Appalachia 58 Washington & Lee 52. 1991 Lebanon 55 Cumberland 53. 1993 Twin Springs 60 Franklin County 59. 1997 Floyd County 66  Surry County 63.

Could have been others. I just skimmed over the list.

I did not see any state championship for a far SW VA AA school, but like I said, just skimmed through the list quickly.

Mike Allen... just hearing that name makes me miss Pigskin Picks on 93.5, that's the only reason to listen to that atrocity of a radio station anymore.

Mike is a good dude. I never ever turn on 93.5 unless it was for games or Pigskin Picks.

PV and AHS both had one. PV with Kevin Mitchell, Barry Hamler, Mike Allen maybe? Maybe Jimmy Mitchell?

Didntnthe Appy team have Hobbie Stuart?

PV state title team:

Barry Hamler

Jimmy Mitchell

Robin Pleasant

Jerry Meyers

Dennis Davis

Grayland "Catbird" Jackson....hero of the state title game.

Again the championship is Gate City's to win this year. I see no 2A team out there able to play with them. To much scoring from the big 3 scorers, just don't see anyone in 2A being able to match that.

I agree with you it could be GCs to win....But I definitely wouldn't go as far to say it's theirs to lose though. They are good... But I'll hold off til I see how they look when/if they make it to regionals and get to face someone like MHS or DR.

I wouldnt be a bit suprised to see Martinsville hang an L on Lee in their matchup coming up here shortly. I know RE has two really good big men....But their guard play is supposedly their weak spot. I know Martinsville doesn't lack in guard play and that could cause some problems for the Leemen. I'll take MHS in the matchup....Won't go against the Dogs until someone in 2A knocks them off.

Again the championship is Gate City's to win this year. I see no 2A team out there able to play with them. To much scoring from the big 3 scorers, just don't see anyone in 2A being able to match that.

Another example of the rampant West bias that permeates the minds of so many here.

There are a good 5-6 teams, at least 3 from the East, that would have a great chance at beating Gate City even if Gate City played a quality game.