Union at Gate City

LongTimeSWVAFan

Friday night at GC - who you picking?

GC is clearly the better team to me, the question is does Union have a shot?

Slagle and Mitchell has to go for 20+ and the Bears have to keep turnovers at a minimum to win.

I can't see all three happening. GC wins it 75-59

GC will need Ervin to win. I expect him to play, sick or not. If GC's big 3 combines for 60, GC can win. I say Collier is the key factor for GC, he needs 7-10 points to seal the victory for the Devils. If Kimbler, Vermillion, Compton, and possibly Noe can add a combined 12 points GC wins by double digits.

You can throw everything out the window in the Classic rivalry game. Get there early if you want a seat. (Unless you have good friends like I have that'll save you one.)

GC 67-60

union has played really good dffense during the 10 game win streak. they haven't gave up 60 in a game all season. pace of game will be key for union. I like the bears if they make it a slow half court game. if the bears can keep it in the 60s I think they got a shot.

I expect a dogfight with a final four atmosphere.

Do not think Union can keep GC under 60 points.

Slagle will get his points. Mitchell is the key. He will need to have a monster game to give Union a chance to win. If he goes for 25+ points, Union has a legitimate chance to get the win.

If Ervin is mostly healthy, GC wins by 10+. If he does not play or is clearly limited, game could go either way.

Mac will get his points. I expect Mitchell will block him a couple of times, but I also expect Mac will draw a couple of fouls on him. We also need Collier to draw a couple of fouls from Mitchell.

With a healthy Ervin, GC wins 72-60. Without Ervin, GC wins 62-61.

I'm going to say GC 78 Union 64.. I think it will be a good game, until late. I worry that Union will be gassed by mid-4th as usual because for whatever reason we don't take advantage of our depth. Union played 7 guys against Battle, I don't think you can compete with a team like GC and not give Mitchell and Slagle a breather. Seems that GC is somewhat of a 4th quarter team and that may not bode well.

GC was a 2nd half team at the first of the season...But during the Arbys against stiff competition they were more of a first half team for 2 of their 3 games. I missed the games against Battle and THS so not sure which half they showed up better in during those. Against Lee they was strictly a 4th qtr team....Didn't show up for 3 qtrs. Hard to tell which GC team will show up tomorrow night....But I'd be willing to bet they won't play as poorly as they did against Lee.

With Mac, Ervin, and Dean healthy and injury free -  no contest. If either Mac or Ervin out then tossup, if  only dean out devils win by 10 +. Should  be  exciting and very loud environment, looking forward to some good competition for the devils since the last was at the Arby's, they need some stiff talent to get ready for the playoffs.   Another thing that hurts  the devils is very weak defense (except the Noe kid who busted his butt against Lee) but i guess to keep mac and erv in the entire game offensively they have to slack off on defense.  Go Blue!

I think if GC had a little more depth Scotty would be jumping up and down for them to be playing ball hawking D the whole game like he used to and sub in and out every 2 mins. This teams identity so far is to just beat you with their offense and then make a stop or two on D when they need it. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the arse.

Is there supposed to be a blackout theme for the game or is it just the student section? I seen on Twitter but wasnt sure

I think if GC had a little more depth Scotty would be jumping up and down for them to be playing ball hawking D the whole game like he used to and sub in and out every 2 mins. This teams identity so far is to just beat you with their offense and then make a stop or two on D when they need it. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the arse.

Is there supposed to be a blackout theme for the game or is it just the student section? I seen on Twitter but wasnt sure

I can agree with this statement. Back in the day, GC was a lock down defensive team. This GC team is a high powered offense. Defense is an after thought for them. Do they even press any now?

River............is a black out for the student section, but I also saw on Twitter where it said to wear black or blue.

We have pressed in spurts this year. Not for an entire game like we used to do. Generally this year our press has resulted in a faster paced game, and instant offense.

I can agree with this statement. Back in the day, GC was a lock down defensive team. This GC team is a high powered offense. Defense is an after thought for them. Do they even press any now?

They play some defense....But it's in spurts. When they choose to play defense to their ability they play maybe some of the best defense I've seen at GC. And yes they do press some...almost every game at some point actually. Only stay in it for a few possessions though and it usually results in some quick points and an added cushion on the scoreboard. GC also plays zone some now which they never used to do. I'm a fan of going into a zone when it's needed. In years past, GC would NEVER go to a zone even when it was clear they was getting beat man to man and it cost us some games.