Union at Gate City

LongTimeSWVAFan

I agree on all comments on McClung.. In my frame of reference, I compared him to Stacy Ervin. Ervin was just a little bit longer but like McClung had it all. I love a kid that takes the ball to the hoop. Just can't be guarded and is going to score 25 at will and can drop 50 in a heartbeat, just like last night. Congrats to GC on a good win, the next matchup should be just as entertaining.

Union was given love. They played a great game and me and Larry gave credit where it was due. Slagle was lights out and Mitchell played tough as well. Slagle ate GC up in the paint. It was a great game....But it was essentially the Mac and Slagle show. Not much else to talk about.

Just more people praising Mac for such an unreal performance versus praising Union on a hard fought game. That's no slight to the Bears....Anyone that was at the game knows what kind of game it was.

Union was given love. They played a great game and me and Larry both gave credit where it was due. Slagle was lights out and Mitchell played tough as well. Slagle ate GC up in the paint. It was a great game....But it was essentially the Mac and Slagle show. Not much else to talk about.

Mitchells impact really showed in the box score. 9 assists, at least 7-8 boards and 14 points. Also had a block on McClung in first Q. I think James shied away from trying to contest MMs shots, didn't wanna draw fouls andnwith the elevation Mac gets in his shooting motion, it's almost impossible to block.

Union had their worst 3pt shooting game of the year, 5-28 IIRC, if some of those fell maybe it's a different game. But GC is for real, this game gave me a lot of hope for Union going forward. We showed the Richlands/Graham's of the area that Union can compete with anyone and Slagle is one ofnthe best five players around. Still just a sophomore. Union returns James, Slagle and Garrison plus some talented JV kids. Both teams will be loaded again next year.

Union was given love. They played a great game and me and Larry both gave credit where it was due. Slagle was lights out and Mitchell played tough as well. Slagle ate GC up in the paint. It was a great game....But it was essentially the Mac and Slagle show. Not much else to talk about.

Mitchells impact really showed in the box score. 9 assists, at least 7-8 boards and 14 points. Also had a block on McClung in first Q. I think James shied away from trying to contest MMs shots, didn't wanna draw fouls andnwith the elevation Mac gets in his shooting motion, it's almost impossible to block.

Union had their worst 3pt shooting game of the year, 5-28 IIRC, if some of those fell maybe it's a different game. But GC is for real, this game gave me a lot of hope for Union going forward. We showed the Richlands/Graham's of the area that Union can compete with anyone and Slagle is one ofnthe best five players around. Still just a sophomore. Union returns James, Slagle and Garrison plus some talented JV kids. Both teams will be loaded again next year.

Should be a good game at Big Stone but basically Ervin was sick last night and  had no legs at all and no shot,, hopefully Ervin will be ready to go next time and you will see the real Devils, shouldn't be as close next time

No one is underestimating the Bears.... Especially not the players. We could say the Devils will probably have 12-15 deep balls next time around like they usually do and Zac and Dean will be completely healthy and have the normal 35-40 pts between the 2 of them. Which would nullify whatever percent the Bears shoot from deep. GC, aside from McClung, didn't have their typical game at all. We can plug and play with the "should haves" all day long.

No one is underestimating the Bears.... Especially not the players. We could say the Devils will probably have 12-15 deep balls next time around like they usually do and Zac and Dean will be completely healthy and have the normal 35-40 pts between the 2 of them. Which would nullify whatever percent the Bears shoot from deep. GC, aside from McClung, didn't have their typical game at all. We can plug and play with the "should haves" all day long.

I didn't start this, the poster above insinuated GC will run Union out ofnthe building and made excuses as to why the Bears gave GC all they could handle. Union wasn't at full strength either, Jenkins is battling an ankle injury and another has a shoulder issue. I just thought his post was insulting, that GC last night wasn't the 'real' GC and that Union will get blown out at home. It could happen, but when a team has it tied in the 4th quarter and it was a 6-point game when Unions best player fouled out on the road, I think its arrogant for him to assume Union played their best game and GC played like garbage an thats only reason it was close. GC will prob get more production from Ervin and others, but I doubt McClung goes for 47 again.

But i also seen you pulled the same card on another board about how the game would have been different had Slagle not fouled out. Could have easily been the same outcome with him in the game as well. Union will get their chance again.

And Union won't shoot 18% from 3, but please underestimate Union that will only help Union.

Could one assume they Union shot this poorly from the 3 point line due to GC's defensive pressure? I was not at the game so I am not sure. 

Mac had a unreal night... Ervin sick and Dean not at 100% AND GC still pulls the win out by 13. That is crazy. 

@Union, GC might win by 25+ if GC is healthy. Just my opinion. Union is a solid team though and IMO maybe better then Richlands/Graham at this point. So do not take this as a knock Union fans... GC is just that good. 

I hope this is the year for them (and next year too haha). SWVA needs a state championship! It would be nice to get some state recognition. 

If, ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Who cares about coulda, shoulda, woulda, and, if, but, or maybes.

GC won the first matchup at home. It will be hard to travel to Union and win in BSG regardless who is healthy and who isn't. It came down to a last second 3-pointer that put GC ahead at Union last season. I'm sure Union hasn't forgotten and will use last year's loss at home and this year's loss at GC as motivation. We will get Union's best shot, I hope we give them ours as well. But for now GC needs to worry about Abingdon, Devils struggling tonight.

Could one assume they Union shot this poorly from the 3 point line due to GC's defensive pressure? I was not at the game so I am not sure. 

Mac had a unreal night... Ervin sick and Dean not at 100% AND GC still pulls the win out by 13. That is crazy. 

@Union, GC might win by 25+ if GC is healthy. Just my opinion. Union is a solid team though and IMO maybe better then Richlands/Graham at this point. So do not take this as a knock Union fans... GC is just that good. 

I hope this is the year for them (and next year too haha). SWVA needs a state championship! It would be nice to get some state recognition.

GCs defense was good but Union missed several wide open threes. The GC fans can attest to that. They were just cold aside from Slagle.

And I said the game, which was what, one possession? was changed dramatically when Slagle fouled out. That happened during the game. No ifs or buts, Union was not able to keep up withput Slagle as he really had his way inside. Why is it okay for you GC fans to blame Ervin's illness or the other kids wrist but me mentioning something that actually happened during the game is playing a what if game? McClung scored 47 points. Ervin didn't do much bc McClung was taking almost every shot. How can you dispute the game is different is Slagle doesn't foul out? He had damn near 30 points and was basically Unions offense. Of course its a different game ifnhe is in there, it's common sense.

I didn't know DV was a GC fan...

And this GC fan wasn't using any kind of excuse for it being close. I knew it would be. I thought it would actually be closer. We needed a good dog fight.

I wasn't trying to denigrate GC at all, was jus kind of offended that some act as if Union was only close bc Ervin wasn't 100%. It was the best basketball game I've ever seen in SWVA, McClung is truly a special player but I thought Union had a great showing going on the road and having a tie game in the forth quarter.

That last game is gonna be a doozy, GC could win by 20 or Union could eeke out a win. GC doesn't have an answer for Slagle but no one is stopping McClung.

I wasn't trying to denigrate GC at all, was jus kind of offended that some act as if Union was only close bc Ervin wasn't 100%. It was the best basketball game I've ever seen in SWVA, McClung is truly a special player but I thought Union had a great showing going on the road and having a tie game in the forth quarter.

That last game is gonna be a doozy, GC could win by 20 or Union could eeke out a win. GC doesn't have an answer for Slagle but no one is stopping McClung.

Round 2 may be as fun as round 1 was. What's the capacity of Union's gym? I can't see it being more than GC's

I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a record crowd at Union. Hopefully Union will do like GC and live stream it in their cafeteria for the people who can't make it inside the gym.

I have a feeling all these people in this video are not gonna want to miss it the 2nd time around either. https://www.hudl.com/v/1DGSYg