Realistic Expectations

SXSW

24 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It's still the spread, but it will feature more running, especially with the QB. Brown has a better arm than River did a few years ago, but River was a bulldozer. Brown can still run it, though. 

Justus was slated to play on the OL, but his biggest absence will be at LB. 

River was a beast. He was a headache for us! If the new QB can is similar to him, I'd say Richlands will be A okay. 

Here's my opinion on the Tazewell County teams

Richlands:
Best: 10-0
Worst: 5-5
Expectation:
7-3
Believe it or not, I'm not taking being facetious when I say 5-5. RHS should have the best lineplay in the area but graduated basically every skill position. That inexperience could hurt, especially in the early part of the season. I don't see them dropping the game against Gate City but @Union, Byrd, Blacksburg, @Bluefield, & Graham all have the potential to beat the Blues. But in the end I think they'll end up only dropping 2/3 out of the 5. But hey, at the same time I know Mance could take them to 10 wins.

Graham:
Best: 10-0
Worst: 5-5
Expectation:
8-2
I think Graham has a favorable schedule that they could possibly run the table. They get Giles at home and they're farthest away game will be at Marion. Richlands on the road, of course, will be the toughest test but I wouldn't overlook Bluefield, Giles, Princeton, & Marion. I've yet to hear the extent of Jaz. Reed's injury which will play a big role in wins/losses but with Taymon & Cam Allen they still have the weapons to score against most.  I've read some hype on VAPreps that this team may be better than last years team and I don't agree, but like I said, the schedule is favorable.

Tazewell:
Best: 5-5
Worst: 0-10
Expectation: 2-8
The Dawgs are few in numbers, but the talent is there. The problem is that the talent is mostly 14/15 year olds. In a few years if they can stay the course with this new coach I think they'll be alright but there's going to be some growing pains in 2017. Tazewell as a community is usually pretty good about supporting the team with high expectations, at least early in the season. I feel like the 5 away games to begin the season are really going to hurt the town. If they're 0-5 after those games not as many people are going to want to come through the gate.. But that's a separate issue. Riverview, Hurley, & Lebanon could be games I could see them maybe pulling out. Grundy, Fort Chiswell, & Virginia High could be 1 or 2 more wins if they really surprise us all.   

On 8/18/2017 at 8:16 PM, mw0729 said:

Gate city has been really spoiled with two great quarterbacks over the last eight years. Both wore number 10, I say try number 10 in this game DeAndre Mac! That was an ugly half   Can Gate City Beat Ridgeview and Battle???

Mac needs to be in the starting line up we need his speed in some position.

After watching the scrimmage and benefit game I'm leaning towards 6-4 5-5 for Abingdon.  7-3 would be a whirlwind accomplishment that i seriously doubt will happen.  Although they could go 4-6 and it wouldn't surprise me.  This new offense has me thrown off and it is a bit of a rebuilding year.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:32 AM, zcounts61 said:

Tazewell is very young this year. Better defense from last year but O-Line is small. They could go anywhere from 0-10 to 4-6. These Freshmen and Sophomores are very talented and smart. Next few years could be looking up for the Dawgs!!

Not that I'm being condescending but anything and I mean anything would be a better defense than last year...

Just curious for anybody that may be a statistical nerd, how many times did Tazewell force a punt last season?  I remember it was a rare occurence