Morristown West @Union

Union_Fan

MW finished the last 2 seasons at 10-3, making it to the 3rd round of the TSSAA playoffs. They are a 4A Va equivalent school with an enrollment of 1551 students, but compete in Tennessee's largest(6A) division. They enter BSG at 2-3.

I've had this game circled since the schedule was released. Very intriguing matchup. Will Union be able to pull this one out and extend their home game winning streak or will MW's numbers wear down the Bears.

Game of the Week here. Thoughts?

It's gonna be a dogfight. Morristown west is a very good team who has played some very good competition. From the little film I have seen from them they have a good passing game and #30 on the defensive line is a beast. I think home field is the difference. 

Union - 35

Morristown West - 34

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

It's gonna be a dogfight. Morristown west is a very good team who has played some very good competition. From the little film I have seen from them they have a good passing game and #30 on the defensive line is a beast. I think home field is the difference. 

Union - 35

Morristown West - 34

I heard their starting QB was out and the new QB is more of a runner, do you know if any of its true.  

29 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I heard their starting QB was out and the new QB is more of a runner, do you know if any of its true.  

I don't know, but I do hate it for the starter if that is true. If that's the case then that favors Union quite a bit

I usually see MW every year in the double header that they and ME host, but they didn't have it this year. They've struggled some against a tough schedule this year, but this is the biggest regular season test Union will face this season. MW usually dresses 80+ guys and has size and some decent athletes. The QB (John Forebeck) is a big (6'3 210+) guy with a good arm and is fairly mobile. Again, haven't seen them this year, but in the past two seasons if you can get pressure on him, he'll make some bad decisions. I'm guessing they will stack the box against Union and it will be a tough go if the Bears can't get a passing game going. IMO it would be a major achievement if Union can win this one. 

Yea after watching that not as confident.  I watched some film on the forebeck kid he is the real deal.  MW is always a tough out in the playoffs an they are a huge school.  The game highlighted above they didn't have Forebeck absolute stud throwing an van run pretty well.  As mentioned he is also a very big young man 6'3 6'4 ish 200+.  They got size everywhere if union can line up an run on this team they can run on anybody in 2A.  They are gonna have to be able to throw the ball.  Don't let MW record fool you one bit they have played some sick competion.  If Da U can win this game I will be impressed to say the least.  

1 minute ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Yea after watching that not as confident.  I watched some film on the forebeck kid he is the real deal.  MW is always a tough out in the playoffs an they are a huge school.  The game highlighted above they didn't have Forebeck absolute stud throwing an van run pretty well.  As mentioned he is also a very big young man 6'3 6'4 ish 200+.  They got size everywhere if union can line up an run on this team they can run on anybody in 2A.  They are gonna have to be able to throw the ball.  Don't let MW record fool you one bit they have played some sick competion.  If Da U can win this game I will be impressed to say the least.  

It's gonna take everything we have. We're gonna have to have excellent line on both sides. I think it's gonna take Mitchell, Lester and Qualls all at QB and they'll all have to make plays. That being said I look for Union to open in the spread with Mitchell at QB and have little success before switching to the T. And then it'll be on. It's gonna be one heck of a ball game.

Saw them play Knox Catholic last year. Catholic had too many athletes for them, but Forebeck threw a beautiful 93 yard TD that probably went 50 yards in the air and hit his WR in stride. Their defense also stuffed Catholic on a couple of 4th and shorts when they tried to run behind UT commit Cade Mays. Catholic won big, but they did it with big plays from guys like Amari Rogers (at Clempson now) and Chase Kurschen (now at Tulane). 

West lost their starting quarterback during the first half of their first game. They were supposed to be near the top of conference with him, but now are just average without him. I look for Union to have a tougher test probably the second toughest team they have faced so far. They are 6A and still have a lot of athletes.

IMO this game is what stands in front of a 10-0 season for the Bears. I think the Bears are really clicking right now, with the only hole being in the secondary on deep balls. I will say 31-28 Bears on a late FG. Our kicker showed last week that he can hit it from 45 to 50. I think Turner starts going to him more down the stretch.

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

West lost their starting quarterback during the first half of their first game. They were supposed to be near the top of conference with him, but now are just average without him. I look for Union to have a tougher test probably the second toughest team they have faced so far. They are 6A and still have a lot of athletes.

IMO even without Forebeck, they are more formidable than Richlands due to their sheer size and numbers. It would be a major coup if Union could pull off a win. Wish they had still had the double header on opening weekend. I've got to see a lot of good football players in that since they've been doing it. I suppose it was thrown for a loop this year because of MW moving into 6A and scheduling conflicts. 

All the schedules in East Tennessee are a little messed up right now, it always happens after re-classification. I went to the double header once in the early 2000's, it is a good show. I think Abingdon will play Union as good as anybody on our end of the state. They are physical enough to stay on the field with Union, but Union has a few more athletes. I am glad Union and West are playing, they will enjoy their trip to Morristown next year.

No disrespect to Union at all, I've said numerous times that they are the 2A measuring stick in far SWVA even without Turner, but football in NETN is a different level due to sheer numbers, as a poster stated above. I will be pulling for Union for sure, but I think MW will be too much. I could see this game being similar to Union's game with RV, just flipped for Union. A close game at the half turns into a comfortable win for MW. Good luck, Bears. Represent SWVA with pride!