Morristown West @Union

Union_Fan

If I'm not mistaken TN schools do not allow noise makers, (correct me if I'm wrong), Union has become home of the 12th man recently. A school that's not used to the air horns and cowbells, it may have an effect. We shall see come Friday night.

39 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

If I'm not mistaken TN schools do not allow noise makers, (correct me if I'm wrong), Union has become home of the 12th man recently. A school that's not used to the air horns and cowbells, it may have an effect. We shall see come Friday night.

I believe you're thinking about Kentucky. Don't recall them saying anything at Crockett or North.

However, I don't think most NET teams are accustomed to our level of enthusiasm in SWVA. :)

Just now, Union_Fan said:

I believe you're thinking about Kentucky. Don't recall them saying anything at Crockett or North.

However, I don't think most NET teams are accustomed to our level of enthusiasm in SWVA. :)

Ah, you may be correct. Maybe I was thinking of KY. Apologies. But agreed with your last statement on enthusiasm 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

But there's a heckuva lot more to choose from when you have 3,000 students compared to 600.

It's not players 1-11 that win you ball games. Is the depth of players 12-20 that win games. When a school has 20 total players, there isn't much depth there compared to a team with 70.

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

It's not players 1-11 that win you ball games. Is the depth of players 12-20 that win games. When a school has 20 total players, there isn't much depth there compared to a team with 70.

Union has good turnout, but they don't have 30-35 kids that can come in as backups and succeed at a high level like some of the bigger schools. There's some talent there on sideline but it's young and it's a monumental task to ask a freshman to come in and play well against a huge, great team. 

I'm not saying Union can't win by any means, but it'll be a TOUGH task. It'll take Union playing their best game and catching MW off guard. Union has to have minimal mistakes, control the clock and the ball and force turnovers. 

It's also imperative that Union make changes in the defensive scheme. You cannot leave your corners on an island with no deep help against good athletes. Also have to change up the alignment, take out a linebacker or two and go to a nickel or dime coverage. We cant expect our linebackers to cover their slot WRs. Union isn't a big zone team, so asking the team to learn a solid Cover II-III in a week is unrealistic. The Union DL is very good, so should be able to hold the LOS and get pressure with four and allow the back end to help in coverage. Mitchell will have to play deep S this week instead of playing near the LOS as a Rover.

Well your dad and critical noise have something in common, they're both wrong

MW will be able to to 35-40 high quality players on the field at various times, U will be able to put 15-18 tops. Numbers will wear Union down. Their only chance imo is to get up early and hold on late. With Mitchell and Jenkins thyre perfectly capable of doing it but I don't think they will. And theres no shame in that

Union fan or not, we're all cheering for the Bears this week: Double Whammy of a TN school and a much-larger school coming into the Park

The Trojans obviously will have the depth advantage, but I doubt they'll have an answer for Mitchell, who seems to get better as the game goes on

Union 35
West 31

Each week the Union Bears look better to me than the week before; and I am convinced that they have the tools to defeat Morristown West.

In broad brush analysis: I believe both teams go into the game without the QBs that started the season; so loss of Turner for the Bears may be somewhat mitigated. Union's depth along the line of scrimmage is impressive and I suspect will match up well against the Trojans. Morristown has a number of swift athletes but Union has speedy players in Jenkins, Qualls, and Mitchell. I think home field advantage is important but I predict the game comes down to which team can avoid penalties and turnovers.

I predict Union 24 & West 21.

1 hour ago, FBDevotee said:

Each week the Union Bears look better to me than the week before; and I am convinced that they have the tools to defeat Morristown West.

In broad brush analysis: I believe both teams go into the game without the QBs that started the season; so loss of Turner for the Bears may be somewhat mitigated. Union's depth along the line of scrimmage is impressive and I suspect will match up well against the Trojans. Morristown has a number of swift athletes but Union has speedy players in Jenkins, Qualls, and Mitchell. I think home field advantage is important but I predict the game comes down to which team can avoid penalties and turnovers.

I predict Union 24 & West 21.

The emergence of Jenkins is a big plus for Union. He's came on strong recently. If Dakota Owens isn't able to play that will definitely be a hit, but I think the Union defense will be better than most are expecting Friday night. 

22 minutes ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Someone was telling me that the game time was changed from 7:30 to 6:30 anybody else know of the time change and if it is true.

Haven't heard anything, and there isn't anything on the Twitter or Facebook pages.

Smack a bully in the mouth and they will quit,thats what dear old dad said. I have to believe that the 1st q, will dictate how the game goes.They throw good, and that worries me, and MITCHELL cant be everywhere and I know QUALLS will get a chance to pick one off deep

Looks like #3 Zack Young is starting QB for MW.  He's small but very shifty.  The highlights I've seen he rolls out left or right every pass and never throws from the pocket.  Gonna have to get alot of pressure from the ends to slow him down.  

8 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Looks like #3 Zack Young is starting QB for MW.  He's small but very shifty.  The highlights I've seen he rolls out left or right every pass and never throws from the pocket.  Gonna have to get alot of pressure from the ends to slow him down.  

Is he starting or is #8 John Foreback all healed up now?

5 minutes ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

No Foreback is out for Friday.   An the game starts at 7:30 I talked to the AD.  

If foreback is out then that's definitely gonna help out Unions secondary. But #3 is a heck of a player so it will still be a heck of a challenge for the Bears D.