Richlands final record predictions?

BAMABALL01

2 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

It happened a lot more than you think around the entire state. I have even found one 9-0-1 team that did not make the playoffs.

Wow...I just hate the fact sub.500 teams make the playoffs...some over half the region's.

I don't care who you play...if you can't beat any of them do you really "deserve" it? 

Some will say yes especially if their team is sub .500....but not me even if my team was

52 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Wow...I just hate the fact sub.500 teams make the playoffs...some over half the region's.

I don't care who you play...if you can't beat any of them do you really "deserve" it? 

Some will say yes especially if their team is sub .500....but not me even if my team was

I agree and disagree to an extent. If you beat 4 good 2A schools but lose the other 6 to 3A and 4A schools then I think you deserve to be in. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

It happened a lot more than you think around the entire state. I have even found one 9-0-1 team that did not make the playoffs.

Make that three times. I forgot about the 1970 Patrick Henry Rebels of Glade Spring that finished 9-0-1 but did not go to the playoffs and John Handley of Winchester also 9-0-1 in 1970.

I remember several 8-2 teams missing the playoffs, I believe Clintwood was the last from our area. There have been a few 9-1 teams and if memory serves me I believe one of the main reasons for the current playoff format was to try to eliminate that. In 1A and 2A in Tennessee there have been numerous no win teams and teams with 1 or 2 wins every year making the playoffs just to fill the brackets (which in itself is terrible). I am old school and if you don't win at least five games you shouldn't be in the playoffs!

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Happened to Glenvar as well one year. Giles was their only loss and they didn't make it in but a 5-5 Grayson made it in. I like the way it is now with using the power points

I don't have a problem using power points but I hate the fact 2-8 and 1-9 teams make the playoffs....too many teams make it IMO....cut each region to 4 or 6 I say

Teams that did not make the playoffs

Teams that went 9-0-1

1970  9-0-1  Patrick Henry Glade Spring
1970  9-0-1  John Handley
1976  9-0-1  King George
1977  9-0-1  Armstrong
1981  9-0-1  Kempsville

Teams that went 9-1

1970  9-1  G. W. Danville
1970  9-1  Hampton

1971  9-1  G. W. Danville
1971  9-1  Bassett
1971  9-1  Pennington
1971  9-1  James Wood
1971  9-1  James Monroe
1971  9-1  Homer Ferguson
1971  9-1  First Colonial

1972  9-1  Lane of Charlottesville
1972  9-1  Great Bridge

1973  9-1  Appalachia
1973  9-1  Gate City
1973  9-1  Glenvar
1973  9-1  Lexington
1973  9-1  James Wood
1973  9-1  Fauquier
1973  9-1  George Marshall
1973  9-1  Floyd Kellam
1973  9-1  Lake Taylor

1974  9-1  Riverheads
1974  9-1  Loudoun Valley
1974  9-1  Gar-Field
1974  9-1  Highland Springs
1974  9-1  Park View South Hill
1974  9-1  Annandale
1974  9-1  Lafayette
1974  9-1  I. C. Norcom

1975  9-1  Bath County
1975  9-1  Rustburg
1975  9-1  Woodbridge
1975  9-1  Lee-Davis
1975  9-1  Midlothian
1975  9-1  Menchville    

1976  9-1  Radford
1976  9-1  Denbigh

1977  9-1  Virginia High
1977  9-1  Bassett
1977  9-1  J. J. Kelly
1977  9-1  Highland Springs
1977  9-1  First Colonial

1978  9-1  J. J. Kelly
1978  9-1  James River Buchanan
1978  9-1  Mount Vernon
1978  9-1  Lafayette

1979  9-1  G. W. Danville

1980  9-1  Culpeper County
1980  9-1  James Madison
1980  9-1  W. T. Woodson

1981  9-1  Hurley

1983  9-1  W. T. Woodson

1984  9-1  Salem
1984  9-1  Galax
1984  9-1  James Robinson

1985  9-1  Mount Vernon

1986  9-1  Oakton

1987  9-1  Bath County

1991  9-1  Goochland

1992  9-1  Robert E. Lee Springfield

1993  9-1  G. W. Danville

1998  9-1  Heritage Newport News

2000  9-1  Patrick Henry Ashland

2003  9-1  Honaker
2003  9-1  Monacan
2003  9-1  Hermitage

2004  9-1  Haysi
2004  9-1  George Wythe Wytheville

2005  9-1  Varina

2006  9-1  Glenvar
2006  9-1  Liberty Bealeton

2009  9-1  Meadowbrook

2011  9-1  Meadowbrook

Teams that went 8-1

1971  8-1  Natural Bridge
1971  8-1  Brentsville District
1980  8-1  Woodrow Wilson

This only includes schools that I have researched which is now about 95% of Virginia.

Yeah I agree, in regions that have sub 500 records there should be byes, but we should also remember that Jonesville, and Appalachia both won state after going 5-5 for the regular season, due mostly getting healthy at the end of the year

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

I remember several 8-2 teams missing the playoffs, I believe Clintwood was the last from our area. There have been a few 9-1 teams and if memory serves me I believe one of the main reasons for the current playoff format was to try to eliminate that. In 1A and 2A in Tennessee there have been numerous no win teams and teams with 1 or 2 wins every year making the playoffs just to fill the brackets (which in itself is terrible). I am old school and if you don't win at least five games you shouldn't be in the playoffs!

1984 PV...8-2, only 2 losses coming in weeks 2 and 3.  Couldn't win the district with 2 district losses, so they didn't get in.  But, IMO they didn't deserve to get in over the programs that beat them (and only one of those could go).  Bottom line, if you aren't the top team in your division in your district, you don't have a gripe if you miss the playoffs.

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Yeah I agree, in regions that have sub 500 records there should be byes, but we should also remember that Jonesville, and Appalachia both won state after going 5-5 for the regular season, due mostly getting healthy at the end of the year

Yes and Blacksburg did last year...still don't mean they deserved to be in when playoffs start IMO

Of course looking at it after the fact 

Wonder how many sub .500 Or teams at .500 at start of playoffs win state title or even played in title game? And compared to those same type teams that got destroyed in first round

40 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

1984 PV...8-2, only 2 losses coming in weeks 2 and 3.  Couldn't win the district with 2 district losses, so they didn't get in.  But, IMO they didn't deserve to get in over the programs that beat them (and only one of those could go).  Bottom line, if you aren't the top team in your division in your district, you don't have a gripe if you miss the playoffs.

Exactly

The whole problem with the playoff system in VA now is over-inclusion, plain and simple. 

The pre-2010 system was equally as poor, wherein multitudes of 8+ win teams got shafted because some team like Rye Cove would win its awful district with a 5-5 record.  Adding an extra week in 2010 literally doubled the number of teams that made the postseason in most districts, and that's far too many.

I like the four-region system now, but just half the number of playoff teams.  Neither Lee County nor Grayson County (currently 7th and 8th in 2D) should sniff a playoff berth.  A Top 4 of Union, Graham, Marion, and Ridgeview/VHS seems an accurate fit for rewarding play and performance thus far.

19 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The whole problem with the playoff system in VA now is over-inclusion, plain and simple. 

The pre-2010 system was equally as poor, wherein multitudes of 8+ win teams got shafted because some team like Rye Cove would win its awful district with a 5-5 record.  Adding an extra week in 2010 literally doubled the number of teams that made the postseason in most districts, and that's far too many.

I like the four-region system now, but just half the number of playoff teams.  Neither Lee County nor Grayson County (currently 7th and 8th in 2D) should sniff a playoff berth.  A Top 4 of Union, Graham, Marion, and Ridgeview/VHS seems an accurate fit for rewarding play and performance thus far.

At the very most, take 6 per region with the first week pitting 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 for the right for the lowest seed to go to 1 and the other to 2 the following week.

I don't see any positives from a playoff system with 4 teams or less. 

Nostalgia is not a valid arguement. Injuries is not a valid arguement as they affect both. 

Better games? They still happen just a week or two later. 

Saying a team deserves or doesn't deserve is idiotic, let them play IF THEY HAVE A WINNING record.

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Lee isn't horrible at all this season, they are pretty good. 

3 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

I don't see any positives from a playoff system with 4 teams or less. 

Nostalgia is not a valid arguement. Injuries is not a valid arguement as they affect both. 

Better games? They still happen just a week or two later. 

Saying a team deserves or doesn't deserve is idiotic, let them play IF THEY HAVE A WINNING record.

The way I see it, there is already a 10 game regular season...and results determine who gets in. Why should one of the top few teams have to prove themselves once again in a game with a team who clearly is less deserving and risk an injury to a key player? In high school football every regular season game should be huge. The way it is now, teams get in who shouldn’t...it is especially pronounced in 1A. At most, as I said earlier, allow 6. Have the 4 bottom seeds play one another and give byes to the top 2. That way, the top teams don’t run the risk of the scenario described above and if a team really belongs, they’ll advance to face one of the top 2. That’s a decent compromise for those who only think 4 should make it and those who want more teams in.

8 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

The way I see it, there is already a 10 game regular season...and results determine who gets in. Why should one of the top few teams have to prove themselves once again in a game with a team who clearly is less deserving and risk an injury to a key player? In high school football every regular season game should be huge. The way it is now, teams get in who shouldn’t...it is especially pronounced in 1A. At most, as I said earlier, allow 6. Have the 4 bottom seeds play one another and give byes to the top 2. That way, the top teams don’t run the risk of the scenario described above and if a team really belongs, they’ll advance to face one of the top 2. That’s a decent compromise for those who only think 4 should make it and those who want more teams in.

Injuries are injuries, Proving yourself again are what the playoffs are all about. Why run away from competition (1a aside)?