Score Updates 10-6

swva_fan

3 minutes ago, birddog said:

We sure need to find a passing game but I'm not taking anything away from Va High, they're good.

Time management on the last series made me think that John Bowles was coaching again!

Union scrimmaged Va. High and you could tell they were pretty good.  I think they actually could win the region.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Richlands guys - what was ron talking about with Taylor Horne? He may not be eligible next year? Did I hear that right? 

His transcripts when he transferred into Richlands from the Christian Academy were wonky. They got it fixed. He’s eligible. 

8 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

1952 Gate City was 0-10. Three wins that were forfeited.  So on the field it is the first 0-7 start.

I pointed out the 1952 0-10 season, but I also pointed out that in 1952, it wasn't Gate City.  In 1952, Shoemaker High was 0-10, not Gate City High.

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Mance went off about the pf call and came out fired up. He actually pushed the ref. Don't know why he didn't get flagged

The video I saw shows a different tale. He was yelling at the ref and the ref shoved him. 

Shoemaker 

Just now, TTownTigers said:

I pointed out the 1952 0-10 season, but I also pointed out that in 1952, it wasn't Gate City.  In 1952, Shoemaker High was 0-10, not Gate City High.

Shoemaker counts as Gate City.

9 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Shoemaker 

Shoemaker counts as Gate City.

To you it does, to some it doesn't.  I certainly think it counts to me.  My point is/was/still is.....since Gate City High, the modern (if post 1956 is modern), the school hasn't started 0-7.  That's 60 years of Gate City High (at least the new school) formed in 1956ish and of course, called Gate City and no longer called Shoemaker.  That was all I was saying and referring to.  I wasn't debating whether or not one "counts" this school or that school.  Things like that can go on forever and are far to time consuming.    For example, with Bluefield High, would people count "Beaver" High and if the answer is yes, then certainly they would also count the African-American school (I don't know the name) that was present in Bluefield, WV, at the time of Beaver High?  The true answer is.....most people who think of Bluefield High Beaver football only think of exactly that........Bluefield High Beaver football and not Beaver High School or the African-American school that was located in that town at the time.  The same applies to Gate City, at least in my opinion only.

If anybody else watched Channel 5's highlights, did that FG from Union in the highlight look wide left to you? The refs looked at each other and then signaled good.  It may be an awkward angle, but I swear it looked wide left to me.  

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

If anybody else watched Channel 5's highlights, did that FG from Union in the highlight look wide left to you? The refs looked at each other and then signaled good.  It may be an awkward angle, but I swear it looked wide left to me.  

I didn't see the highlight, but it's hard to justify when when their uprights are only 4'tall

1 hour ago, BigO said:

The off week for them came at a good time...just before Union.  That will help some, in a lot of different ways. 

Union is off the same week. I think it depends on which team coaches keep them in the right path 

Gate City always set the bar high in football, by winning with class. Now, comes the time when the shoe is on the other foot. Everybody is watching Gate City during this off year to see how Gate City will react to losing. Are they doing it with class? By some of the post  I have read, I am beginning to wonder if GC is setting the same standards when losing, as they did all those years when they were winning. Just my impressions.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I don't think Unions offense is what they need to worry about, its the defense.  Everyone is stacking the box now and without a passing threat the offense is very one dimensional.  The defense though keeps getting better.  Seems like Lee may have been under 100 yards total offense.

The only play given up was the deep pass for a TD. Lee only had 1 first down in the 2nd half (had 2 total the other was a penalty) they don't call themselves the Landsharks for nothing. 

1 hour ago, SWVAFB said:

Gate City always set the bar high in football, by winning with class. Now, comes the time when the shoe is on the other foot. Everybody is watching Gate City during this off year to see how Gate City will react to losing. Are they doing it with class? By some of the post  I have read, I am beginning to wonder if GC is setting the same standards when losing, as they did all those years when they were winning. Just my impressions.

The answer to you question is......YES.  We are showing class with losing.  Why?  Because you see how much and how bad we don't like losing and like winning, and try to take action to alleviate the situation.  That's class and winners do that, even when down.  Losers ACCEPT their plight.  They accept their current situation.  Therefore, the answer to your question is....yes, still setting the standards high we are, and it's a perfect example of how a fanbase should react when they see the direction of the program taking a dramatic shift or turn for the worse.  If you don't react the way we have, then you become a..........................  No need for me to write it down.  You can feel in the blanks yourself with the historical programs I'm talking about and there are a many of them that can be placed in that blank.  Gate City simply doesn't want to become that, and more important, we don't want to become that because we feel more intense about "not losing" than most other programs.  This is why you see the reactions witnessed.

25 minutes ago, SWVAFB said:

As a Giles fan, I haven't gotten to witness a losing season yet but I wonder how our fan base would handle it. I think Giles' last losing season was in the 80's(I could be wrong).