Gate City @ Union

CriticalNoise

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I hope they take them seriously because this really has all the signs of a trap game.  Also I haven't heard anything but why was Satterfield not playing friday

He played on special teams. Suffered a sprained wrist against LCC. He’s tough as nails, he will fully recover very soon. He’s fun to watch!

Any time I see GC on the docket I remember 2 very good friends who have gone on. We met on the old LPD board and over the years shared a ton of laughs and always met to catch a game when we could. Tonight i raise a glass to you gents. I have zero doubt that you have the best seat in the house. Hopefully you're both talking smack to Tom Turner:)

Union-certainly still can see some growing pains,got too many kids yapping,silly penalties and such,but proud of them for grinding out the win in a very dangerous trap game after last week. Gate City-impressed with the improvement. They played hard and never quit. They get their numbers up a bit and they'll be a factor.. Also gotta love the fan support that the GC kids got tonight on the road. They did their part to keep Bullitt Park loud tonight:)

Very good first half, Union showed ability to move the ball thru the air as well as on the ground, but came out flat after the break while GC clawed and scratched to get within two scores. 

GC has a very physical runner in Calhoun, but the supposed speed that GC had, I didn't see. No knock, I was just expecting to see some speedsters.

I moved to BSG 7 years ago and begged both my sons to transfer to Union,but they wanted to stay at Central,so when they were there I supported them as a Daddy should. After the youngest graduated since I loved the town of BSG and my taxes and other $ was going to support the kids at Union I started making the 5 minute walk to Bullitt Park. I was immediately accepted and the rest is history. I'll always want the best for the kids at Central,but BSG is certainly home for me. It's where i'll spend the rest of my Earthly days .

Just like several mentioned concerning a trap game, the trap was sprung, but we escaped with the bait.

Lots of miscues and missed tackles. And some unexpected chippyness. Definitely some flat play. Hope it's out of their system before Paintsville.

Calhoun was a load as expected. Noticed GC's fastest 2 kids in street clothes. Had they played, this game could have been interesting. 

If GC gets completely healthy, they're going to be hard out come playoff time. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Very good first half, Union showed ability to move the ball thru the air as well as on the ground, but came out flat after the break while GC clawed and scratched to get within two scores. 

GC has a very physical runner in Calhoun, but the supposed speed that GC had, I didn't see. No knock, I was just expecting to see some speedsters.

#2,#11, and#12 are all speedsters and 2 of them was out and one was banged up and  only played 2 plays on offense they have speed to try and  when #2 was in union done a great job of knowing where the ball was goin hats of to union for a well played game 

6 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

GC was able to make this game respectable.  At the beginning it didn’t look like there was anyway it would be.  Hats off to GC and especially Calhoun.  That kid is fun to watch and he plays with a lot of heart, just like the rest of the team.  They never quit.

I was telling my buddies after Calhoun scored to cut it to 21-6 had this been last year down 21-0 GC would have quit and we'd be up 42-0. Those kids played extremely hard tonight and unlike in the last few years were in much better position to make plays. They are getting close to turning the corner.

48 minutes ago, Bullybob12 said:

#2,#11, and#12 are all speedsters and 2 of them was out and one was banged up and  only played 2 plays on offense they have speed to try and  when #2 was in union done a great job of knowing where the ball was goin hats of to union for a well played game 

That makes more sense. I wasn't trying to down GC, it's just people had repeatedly talked about you guys having some burners that got involved with the offense but tonight they tried to basically go between the tackles or off tackle every time. Not a lot of passing threat but a solid run attack.

I was surprised by the chippy play as someone else mentioned. It will look like Union was the only side guilty (a couple personal fouls) but it was 100% both sides. A couple situations could have drawn flags but that's not important. 

Union really made GC pay when the Bears attacked the edges in the first half, but GC adjusted somewhat and clamped down on the jet sweep action after the half. 

But Gibson had some beautiful throws tonight, the more they trust him and allow Union to attack all areas of the field, the more dangerous they become. A hitch route, some bootleg looks hitting out routes, some go routes, etc..  The only thing missing is attacking the middle of the field with crossers and slants, but those are the riskiest throws for someone still getting acclimated to QB. 

6 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Gate City fans... I have to ask, who is better?  Ridgeview or Union?

That game will be a barn burner unions defense and ridgeview offensive I couldn’t say I’d pick a winner right now 😂

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That makes more sense. I wasn't trying to down GC, it's just people had repeatedly talked about you guys having some burners that got involved with the offense but tonight they tried to basically go between the tackles or off tackle every time. Not a lot of passing threat but a solid run attack.

I was surprised by the chippy play as someone else mentioned. It will look like Union was the only side guilty (a couple personal fouls) but it was 100% both sides. A couple situations could have drawn flags but that's not important. 

Union really made GC pay when the Bears attacked the edges in the first half, but GC adjusted somewhat and clamped down on the jet sweep action after the half. 

But Gibson had some beautiful throws tonight, the more they trust him and allow Union to attack all areas of the field, the more dangerous they become. A hitch route, some bootleg looks hitting out routes, some go routes, etc..  The only thing missing is attacking the middle of the field with crossers and slants, but those are the riskiest throws for someone still getting acclimated to QB. 

It really hurt our offense having our speedsters banged up but man y’all defense is tough good luck the rest of the road 

I was a little surprised how tired Union looked in the 2nd half, especially the 4th.  They looked almost as gassed as GC. The chippyness aided GC on both td drives if I’m not mistaken and I believe they were both on #24.  I don’t remember him playing after the second one that resulted in GC scoring to make it 28-14.  That’s definitely one thing Union will need to improve on going forward. 

I didn’t go to last weeks game so I wouldn’t be able to compare Union and Ridgeview but I can almost guarantee it will be somewhat evenly matched.  Based on what I’ve read on here, Union would hold the advantage in the passing game.  They threw deep maybe a couple of times last night and they were on the money.  The receivers have good speed and size as well.  

27 minutes ago, Bullybob12 said:

It really hurt our offense having our speedsters banged up but man y’all defense is tough good luck the rest of the road 

We definitely were limited on offense with both of those kids out.  Calhoun was the workhorse for sure.  I also think that’s what helped contribute to the fatigue that Unions defense looked like they had.  Having to tackle a guy like that all night would wear out anybody I’m sure.  

21 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

We definitely were limited on offense with both of those kids out.  Calhoun was the workhorse for sure.  I also think that’s what helped contribute to the fatigue that Unions defense looked like they had.  Having to tackle a guy like that all night would wear out anybody I’m sure.  

I was honestly surprised that Union didn't handle #45 better, but GC's O-Line is good, and I've never been hit repeatedly by a 255 lb FB either. Haha

143 yards I believe I saw in the Bristol paper.

2 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

#2 wasn’t to his 100% mark after last weeks injury and having #12 and #11 out didn’t help a bit all three are play makers and #45 is a tough and physical man he gets rolling he is goin places