week 3 (Spring) sched. & updates

VHSLhelper

7 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Not in this case. Common sense here folks. There's just no reasonable justification for trying that.

I’ve watched him take those same risks and win a state title. 
Win some, lose some. 
That’s who he is, and I love the aggressiveness. I can live with the few times it doesn’t pay off.

4 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Hey I'm from Appalachia I've seen Tom Turner go for it on 4th and 30

And I remember Donnie Jackson at James Monroe rolling with a fake punt with his punter standing back against the back of his end zone on Narrows Larry Fedora style...   and the damn thing worked.

1 minute ago, SW_VA_boy said:

And I remember Donnie Jackson at James Monroe rolling with a fake punt with his punter standing back against the back of his end zone on Narrows Larry Fedora style...   and the damn thing worked.

It worked some for Turner too but looks bad 👎when it doesnt

16 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Everyone is always undefeated as an armchair QB. 

lol okay. Anyone thinking that going for it on your own 12 late in second quarter in a three point game is the right decision isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. It gave Tazwell three points and guess what? Without those three points, Richlands wins.

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

There is aggressive and there is crazy...

I’m not saying I would have done it — I’m not a coach so I don’t pretend do know what all goes into those decisions. But I’m okay with the call if it means he does something crazy aggressive in the future and it wins the games lol. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

lol okay. Anyone thinking that going for it on your own 12 late in second quarter in a three point game is the right decision isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. It gave Tazwell three points and guess what? Without those three points, Richlands wins.

Insults. Cool, man. Cool. 

1 minute ago, goose111874 said:

Everyone from Union who crucified me last year wanting Gibson to be moved to receiver he's got 2 tds and about 100 yards receiving I'll be waiting for my apologies

I'm pretty sure that you and I spoke of this:). Playing QB restricts his wheels:)

2 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Everyone from Union who crucified me last year wanting Gibson to be moved to receiver he's got 2 tds and about 100 yards receiving I'll be waiting for my apologies

Absolutely the right decision. His ceiling is soooo much higher as a WR. No question he is WR1 on the team. 

Just now, Unchained said:

I'm pretty sure that you and I spoke of this:). Playing QB restricts his wheels:)

Oh yeah.  He's where he needs to be.  He's a great athlete use him.  Here I go coaching again Damn 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Insults. Cool, man. Cool. 

Insults? By stating what's insanely obvious? You said yourself you didn't think it was the right call so who exactly did I insult? 

It was one of the most puzzling, head scratching coaching decisions I've ever seen, ever. It ended up costing them the game, a coaching decision in the second quarter that has no backing in any kind of analytical decision making nor any kind of traditional football decision making. 

you can defend the decision, that's fine he's your coach and if you're willing to defend him even in such a crazy situation that's up to you. But you can't get pissy or sensitive when others question such an insane decision.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Insults? By stating what's insanely obvious? You said yourself you didn't think it was the right call so who exactly did I insult? 

It was one of the most puzzling, head scratching coaching decisions I've ever seen, ever. It ended up costing them the game, a coaching decision in the second quarter that has no backing in any kind of analytical decision making nor any kind of traditional football decision making. 

you can defend the decision, that's fine he's your coach and if you're willing to defend him even in such a crazy situation that's up to you. But you can't get pissy or sensitive when others question such an insane decision.

Acting like you know me. 

Think what you want, bro. You’re the boss. 

There is aggressive and then there is just plain "stupid lapse of reason". I've done it. You've done it. We have all done it in some aspect of our lives. He has got to be saying to himself "What the hell was I thinking? Live and learn. But that lapse of reason cost Richlands dearly and probably the game.

4 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

There is aggressive and then there is just plain "stupid lapse of reason". I've done it. You've done it. We have all done it in some aspect of our lives. He has got to be saying to himself "What the hell was I thinking? Live and learn. But that lapse of reason cost Richlands dearly and probably the game.

I just don’t see it that way. He took a risk and clearly trusted his defense to hold them, which they did. I don’t think that call cost them the game. It’s early in the 2nd quarter and you have a whole game to change the outcome or that choice. 

If it was me, I would have taken the penalty yards on the play with 2 separate targeting calls. It makes it 2nd down again, but it’s 2nd and forever and maybe you don’t give up the pop pass to Jordan. 

But I don’t pretend to be a coach. So I won’t criticize him and run him down for making a choice to trust his guys. 

14 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yep. Several of us had that discussion at the end of the 2019 season, and some took great offense to the suggestion.