Week 5 updates

swva_fan

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Pretty much exactly as I predicted.  Tazewell has so much heart to keep going after it down 42 at half.

I guess this is where we disagree about "heart". When one of your seniors takes a show of hands poll the day before the game on how bad you are going to get beat. That's not heart to me. Im not a body language expert but reading the body language of the kids and coaching staff. I'd have to say very little heart was shown at all. As much community support as they get they receive just as many excuses on their behalf. Until the excuses stop Tazewell will always be Tazewell. Oh they are a young team, this one or that one is injured, etc. Yeah they are young compared to last years team of hold back 19 year olds. Stop making excuses and play football. They have the athletes but not the mentality. 

11 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I guess this is where we disagree about "heart". When one of your seniors takes a show of hands poll the day before the game on how bad you are going to get beat. That's not heart to me. Im not a body language expert but reading the body language of the kids and coaching staff. I'd have to say very little heart was shown at all. As much community support as they get they receive just as many excuses on their behalf. Until the excuses stop Tazewell will always be Tazewell. Oh they are a young team, this one or that one is injured, etc. Yeah they are young compared to last years team of hold back 19 year olds. Stop making excuses and play football. They have the athletes but not the mentality. 

Disagree.  I know a lot of the kids on this team and they have more heart and character then most grown adults that I know.  One kid's actions does not a team make.  They have had more then their fair share of injuries and I would put the heart and character of this "team" up next to anybody's.  Sometimes you are just out-manned.  They just played a team that now has 41 consecutive wins and 5 consecutive state titles.  To have one or even a few kids act defeated before they take the field, to me, would be considered normal.  I for one am not making excuses for the Bulldogs.  I am proud of each and every one of them. Not everybody has the luxury of having 6 transfers to their school to play football.  

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I say controversial stuff and I'll say this.  Tazewell is poorly coached from an X's and O's perspective.  Their staff is EXCELLENT at getting kids out of the halls, getting community involved, and getting their kids to play hard, and building discipline and character for those youngsters, BUT....on the field, the chess match, the x's and o's, the critical thinking part of the game against what the other offense and what the other defense is doing and making the necessary adjustments, they are far below average.  Many coaches are out there that can take a terrible program and turn it into mediocrity based on the positive characteristics I stated in the first part of this paragraph and Tazewell's Coach has done exactly that

If you do the things mentioned in the above paragraph that are positive, you can take ANY horrible program and make it mediocre to above average, but without the critical thinking and x's and o's part I described above in the first paragraph, there is ALWAYS a ceiling and you will never be a great program.  These kind of coaches can go to any bad program and make it better, but they can never take that program to being elite.  They can take over as the New Coach a GOOD or Elite program and that program will sink back to being above average to good, but never as good as it once was.  Sorry, but that's the situation at Tazewell.  Since the turn of the century, Richlands and Graham have shown elite level program status at times.  Richlands formerly for about a 15 year run and Graham for about 5-6 years now and rapidly trending up, and actually Graham was elite for the first 5 years of the new century, so it's not like bad luck struck Tazewell for 20 years and all of the talent just happened to reside at the extreme ends of Tazewell County.  It doesn't work that way.  They've had enough talent over the years since 2000 to have some of the success that Graham and Richlands has had.  Go back to Tazewell in the 60's, 70's and 80's and ask the Graham and Richlands faithful about how good they were.  Talent has had and CONTINUES to have.....a coaching problem.  A coaching problem in the sense that overall, not bad, but not close to being able to take them to elite status. Tazewell last year had MORE talent among it's 22 starters than Graham and Richlands and Union and Ridgeview and Central, and they bounced out in game one of the playoffs to a team they were far, far more talented than. 

Just now, vtdavis4321 said:

I say controversial stuff and I'll say this.  Tazewell is poorly coached from an X's and O's perspective.  Their staff is EXCELLENT at getting kids out of the halls, getting community involved, and getting their kids to play hard, and building discipline and character for those youngsters, BUT....on the field, the chess match, the x's and o's, the critical thinking part of the game against what the other offense and what the other defense is doing and making the necessary adjustments, they are far below average.  Many coaches are out there that can take a terrible program and turn it into mediocrity based on the positive characteristics I stated in the first part of this paragraph.  If you do the things mentioned in this paragraph that are positive, you can take ANY horrible program and make it mediocre to above average, but without the critical thinking and x's and o's part I described above in this paragraph, there is ALWAYS a ceiling and you will never be a great program.  These kind of coaches can go to any bad program and make it better, but they can never take that program to being elite.  They can go to a GOOD or Elite program and that program will sink back to being above average to good, but never as good as it once was.  Sorry, but that's the situation at Tazewell.  Since the turn of the century, Richlands and Graham have shown elite level program status at times.  Richlands formerly for about a 15 year run and Graham for about 5-6 years now and rapidly trending up, so it's not like bad luck struck Tazewell for 20 years and all of the talent just happened to reside at the extreme ends of Tazewell County.  It doesn't work that way.  They've had enough talent over the year since 2020 to have some of the success that Graham and Richlands has had.  Go back to Tazewell in the 60's, 70's and 80's and ask the Graham and Richlands faithful about how good they were.  Talent has had and CONTINUES to have.....a coaching problem.  A coaching problem in the sense that overall, not bad, but not close to being able to take them to elite status. Tazewell last year had MORE talent among it's 22 starters than Graham and Richlands and Union and Ridgeview and Central, and they bounced out in game one of the playoffs to a team they were far, far more talented than. 

Tazewell had a game cancelled the week before because of COVID at V-High and came out flat against Central, didn't resemble the team they had been all season.  It's o.k. to make excuses for everybody else because of COVID or a short week, or whatever.  Talk about being tired.  I'm tired of having folks talking down about a group of kids and coaches that put a lot of time and effort into building character and putting together a good football team.  Sounds like none of you know a thing about Tazewell football.  I welcome all of you coaching geniuses to step up and offer your time to make a positive difference, rather than criticize, moan and complain. 

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Disagree.  I know a lot of the kids on this team and they have more heart and character then most grown adults that I know.  One kid's actions does not a team make.  They have had more then their fair share of injuries and I would put the heart and character of this "team" up next to anybody's.  Sometimes you are just out-manned.  They just played a team that now has 41 consecutive wins and 5 consecutive state titles.  To have one or even a few kids act defeated before they take the field, to me, would be considered normal.  I for one am not making excuses for the Bulldogs.  I am proud of each and every one of them. Not everybody has the luxury of having 6 transfers to their school to play football.  

Tazewell had more talent last year than Graham including the "6 transfers" Graham has this year. They should have mopped the floor with a "young" Graham team. Literally. Their mentality prevented that. Their commitment to the program is lack luster to say the least. More than just that one kid. I agree there are times you are just out manned. I get that. But to say they have a lot of "heart". I just disagree with that. We'll just have to agree to disagree. How many years have we heard, "just wait till this middle school group gets to varsity"? Same results.

4 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewell had a game cancelled the week before because of COVID at V-High and came out flat against Central, didn't resemble the team they had been all season.  It's o.k. to make excuses for everybody else because of COVID or a short week, or whatever.  Talk about being tired.  I'm tired of having folks talking down about a group of kids and coaches that put a lot of time and effort into building character and putting together a good football team.  Sounds like none of you know a thing about Tazewell football.  I welcome all of you coaching geniuses to step up and offer your time to make a positive difference, rather than criticize, moan and complain. 

Not one word.  Not ONE negative word was said about your kids and not ALL bad words were said about your coaches. I said your kids had MORE talent than any team in the Region last year.  That's positive praise.  I gave your Coaching staff several positive comments, but I gave an objective opinion and I stand by the part that was negative.  From an x's and o's perspective, you are below average in the coaching realm.

As for the Coaching Genius Stepup Challenge.  It doesn't work that way.  Forever and ever, when any critique that is positive is given, it's all thanks and praise.  When negative critique is given, it's the old emotional rant of "how about you step up and coach yourself"!  You see, the standard by which a High School Coach is judged is not against how good or bad a message board poster could coach.  The standard by which he is compared is to his colleagues, which are all of the other High School Head Coaches in the United States.  So, save the ole, "how about you step up and do it yourself statement.  It's old. 

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell had more talent last year than Graham including the "6 transfers" Graham has this year. They should have mopped the floor with a "young" Graham team. Literally. Their mentality prevented that. Their commitment to the program is lack luster to say the least. More than just that one kid. I agree there are times you are just out manned. I get that. But to say they have a lot of "heart". I just disagree with that. We'll just have to agree to disagree. How many years have we heard, "just wait till this middle school group gets to varsity"? Same results.

Well, I agree to disagree.  It's easy to kick somebody when they are down.  Losing to Graham, V-High and Riverheads, with a combined record of 13-0 is not the end of the world. I would expect Tazewell to win a few of their games.  

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Well, I agree to disagree.  It's easy to kick somebody when they are down.

Tazewell has been down for 30 years with only very brief glimpses of competitiveness and it's similar to Virginia High as the reasons why for all of these years.  Coaching.  The talent has been there to be far better than what the level of success and win's and loss record has shown over the past 3 decades.  VaHigh is an example of what happens when a team with talent hires a coach that is an x and o sharpshooter.  It equals instant success.  That coach has no business...ZERO business winning at Holston.  Zero.  Pure coaching at an elite level for a High School Coach.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

Tazewell has been down for 30 years with only very brief glimpses of competitiveness and it's similar to Virginia High as the reasons why for all of these years.  Coaching.  The talent has been there to be far better than what the level of success and win's and loss record has shown over the past 3 decades.  VaHigh is an example of what happens when a team with talent hires a coach that is an x and o sharpshooter.  It equals instant success.  That coach has no business...ZERO business winning at Holston.  Zero.  Pure coaching at an elite level for a High School Coach.

24 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Not one word.  Not ONE negative word was said about your kids and not ALL bad words were said about your coaches. I said your kids had MORE talent than any team in the Region last year.  That's positive praise.  I gave your Coaching staff several positive comments, but I gave an objective opinion and I stand by the part that was negative.  From an x's and o's perspective, you are below average in the coaching realm.

As for the Coaching Genius Stepup Challenge.  It doesn't work that way.  Forever and ever, when any critique that is positive is given, it's all thanks and praise.  When negative critique is given, it's the old emotional rant of "how about you step up and coach yourself"!  You see, the standard by which a High School Coach is judged is not against how good or bad a message board poster could coach.  The standard by which he is compared is to his colleagues, which are all of the other High School Head Coaches in the United States.  So, save the ole, "how about you step up and do it yourself statement.  It's old. 

Criticizing somebody elses efforts is "old" as well.  None of these people are professionals.  I'm sure most high school coaches are too worried about how they measure up to their colleagues.  Most want to get the best out of their kids and have their best interests at heart.  I've known some coaches who won very few games, but had a ton of respect from the kids that they coached.  They could care less what people think they should or should not be doing.  Which is a good quality in a coach.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Can’t we all just agree that no team from Tazewell Co, Mercer Co, Giles Co, Wise Co, Dickenson Co could beat Riverheads and move on?

I think Graham would give them a good run this year.  But Riverheads would be the favorite.  I think Union would match up well with them and have the best chance to actually beat them.  I think I would favor Union slightly over Riverheads. Of course, that's just my opinion, I'm sure most would disagree.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think Graham would give them a good run this year.  But Riverheads would be the favorite.  I think Union would match up well with them and have the best chance to actually beat them.  I think I would favor Union slightly over Riverheads.

Graham and Union would give them a fight for a half and I agree that Union would have the best chance because IMO they have the best run D on this side of VA. Riverheads wouldn’t destroy either team, but I don’t see either team being able to hold them for 4 quarters

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Graham and Union would give them a fight for a half and I agree that Union would have the best chance because IMO they have the best run D on this side of VA. Riverheads wouldn’t destroy either team, but I don’t see either team being able to hold them for 4 quarters

I don't think there are too many teams in 3A or 4A that would be able to do that, but probably a few.

Lafayette of Williamsburg, Heritage would wipe the field with Riverheads.  Spread em out and when they drop back to pass, it's not to guys going out on a route, it's 4 guys running different patters and they have the lineplay up front, legit 6'4, 270ish that can certainly give them all the time in the world to throw.  Phoebus?  Fireworks and Riverheads wouldn't move the ball.  That's just Div 3.    Liberty Christian in D3, a 4 touchdown win over Riverheads.  In Div 4, Dinwiddie, Varina.  Easy wins over Riverheads. 

But, there's not over 5 Div 3 teams that would be Riverheads and in Div 4, not over 7 teams would beat them, but.......there are well over a combined total of 10 teams (Div 3 and Div 4 combined) that would certainly beat them.  Dinwiddie and Lafayette and Broad Run would actually cause injury.

Once again I'll remind everyone that Draft, a 2A team, led at halftime and lost by 18 when Riverneads scored late. Let's not overreact. They ain't beating the better teams in 3A and 4A like that. I think a healthy Appomattox beats them, and teams like Graham or Union could absolutely win. They're awesome in 1A, no one within 30+ points. But moving up, you see teams with the same number of kids in program and talent all across the field. 

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Once again I'll remind everyone that Draft, a 2A team, led at halftime and lost by 18 when Riverneads scored late. Let's not overreact. They ain't beating the better teams in 3A and 4A like that. I think a healthy Appomattox beats them, and teams like Graham or Union could absolutely win. They're awesome in 1A, no one within 30+ points. But moving up, you see teams with the same number of kids in program and talent all across the field. 

Yes you’ve brought up Stuart’s Draft 37 times who is a big Rivalry for Riverheads and plays them EVERY SINGLE YEAR. You take a team that has never played them and only has a week to prepare is a different story.