Union/Central battle for Wise County

TaterHater

9 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

We tried to warn them.  Now they know.  There was a lot of cockiness coming out of that RV game and Central was lazer focused on Union the whole time.  All RV fans thought Central was the tougher defense of the two.  It never occurred that maybe RV didn’t play well at BSG. Central’s D is tough and athletic and that offense is designed to get 4-5 yards every snap and just burn the clock.  

I didn't see the game, but willing to bet 100 percent is was exactly as we talked about, and that is Central's linebackers ability to make the tackle with initial contact and not allowing what should be a 2nd and 8 to be turned into a 2nd and 4 by Lomax getting the extra 4 yards or "YAC."  The linebacker corps at Central is special and they just don't miss tackles and when they hit you, you go down. There's very few times the running back (at least from what I've seen) get 2 or 3 more yards after first contact. If you can do this to Union, it's absolutely devastating for the type of offense they run.

44 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It doesn't help when Union turns the ball over four times, twice unforced. They drove right down the field to take a 7-0 lead,.got a stop, then fumbled the next snap. And after a other Wise punt, Jenkins muffed a punt. Bears simply weren't ready to play and Central smacked them around.  All credit to Wise. 

Agree. Like I wrote above, didn't see the game, but here's the thing with Unions offensive system. It shortens the game and limits possessions often against more explosive offensive opponents like Graham and even Ridgeview. The disadvantage is.....it's hard to get separation from opponents that you may be better than, and if you had a couple of turnovers, it's a problem. It's why Union can seemingly outplay a Graham team,  but..... even though gashing them on the ground, it's hard to get separation. Yes, you are limiting a team like Graham's possessions, but you are also limiting your own. I'm just saying it's a double edged sword. 

With all the above, flip side is....Union can lose three games this year and it won't matter. Because of Unions offense, they will be right in the game with ANY team in Region D come playoff time, and if they don't turnover, in a position to win the game (even against Graham)

42 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I didn't see the game, but willing to bet 100 percent is was exactly as we talked about, and that is Central's linebackers ability to make the tackle with initial contact and not allowing what should be a 2nd and 8 to be turned into a 2nd and 4 by Lomax getting the extra 4 yards or "YAC."  The linebacker corps at Central is special and they just don't miss tackles and when they hit you, you go down. There's very few times the running back (at least from what I've seen) get 2 or 3 more yards after first contact. If you can do this to Union, it's absolutely devastating for the type of offense they run.

They are peaking at the right time.  Now, I think all those LBs are Seniors.  That will be hard to replace next year but can absolutely carry them this year.  No one plays within their system and to what they do well better than Central.  Union isn’t far behind and RV simply doesn’t want to fully embrace being a passing team (it should).  

A lot of cockiness coming out of the Union fan base after last week. The people who have been around the program for years knew it was going to be tough going in there tonight. Central humbled us 2 years ago and absolutely did it tonight aswell. Union is an elite program in the region but as a program has a ways to go to get back to the Appomattox level that they had 2015-2017. 

16 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

A lot of cockiness coming out of the Union fan base after last week. The people who have been around the program for years knew it was going to be tough going in there tonight. Central humbled us 2 years ago and absolutely did it tonight aswell. Union is an elite program in the region but as a program has a ways to go to get back to the Appomattox level that they had 2015-2017. 

Union needs to get that two seed over Central because if it's SWD top 4 vs M7 top 4, the M7 3 would play the SWD 2 which will be VA High. Favorable matchup for Union but not a given, especially if VH were to come out and get two early scores and they can score quick with Thomas. Being a 2 seed in the M7 gets you Richlands or Tazewell in game one of the playoffs. 

If Union loses to Abingdon and Central wins out and both finish with 3 losses, I don't know who out points who. It looks like Ridgeview would have to lose to both Bluefield and Abingdon to Not be the one seed, but if Union loses to Abingdon, I think Ridgeview would still be the one seed if all three teams (Central, Union, RV) finish 7-3.

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

To be honest Central offense was they're best Defensive unit tonight.  Don't remember exact time but after union scored first drive Central got ball with maybe 6 minutes to go in 1st quarter and kicked FG with 8 to go in 2nd union fumbles and Central scores TD with 30 seconds left in half.  Union just couldn't make a third or fourth down stop all night.  And after muffed punt after a 3 and out you could just see it wasn't their night 

2 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

This was the most unprepared and just weak performance I’ve seen in Union history. Even when Appomattox was running through them it wasn’t this. Not at all. Union needs to take a look in the mirror. 

You must've not went to Clarke Co. game total nightmare.  

9 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I didn't see a lot of cockiness in this thread, seemed very quiet for a big game.

IMO, from what I've seen as long as Union keeps the current DC they will never be an elite program. Defense wins championships. The current DC is clueless when making adjustments and putting the right personnel on the field.

59 minutes ago, foosballer said:

I didn't see a lot of cockiness in this thread, seemed very quiet for a big game.

IMO, from what I've seen as long as Union keeps the current DC they will never be an elite program. Defense wins championships. The current DC is clueless when making adjustments and putting the right personnel on the field.

Did you not say in a previous thread that Union was the best team in the region right now?

24 minutes ago, spyhunter said:

Did you not say in a previous thread that Union was the best team in the region right now?

So are the graham fans being cocky because they think they're the best.  That's not cockiness it's an opinion

I think we all knew that the GMEN would be the class of D , but we also knew that Central and Union would be very close , the surprise is Ridgeview. Any of these teams could win the region and give region C fits in the finals. 
 I do expect  all 3 to win out , yes Abington will loose 2  and that would give Ridgeview the Mnt 7 . How that works out for points ????I have no clue , The next 3 weeks will be fun .

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Um, they are.

I take issue with this. There are many Graham fans on this board who are not like that. Unfortunately, every fan base has cocky fans, the loud lady that screams at the refs all night, etc. You can categorize the majority of a fanbase by a few. If someone states Graham has the best record in Region D or Bradshaw had a phenomenal night. Those to me are factual statements rather than cockiness. Cockiness would be saying, no one has a chance to beat Graham and that’s simply not true. Region D is tough and whichever team comes out on top, they will have worked for it and I will cheer them on against Region C whether it’s Graham or someone else. 

I don’t think my thoughts & opinions are worth two cents on here and definitely not cockiness but there are few that think they are ESPN football experts😂😂😂😂😂 and in reality, nah. Most of us just want a friendly back & forth about high school football. 

Rant over…must be the rain! 😂

2 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I think we all knew that the GMEN would be the class of D , but we also knew that Central and Union would be very close , the surprise is Ridgeview. Any of these teams could win the region and give region C fits in the finals. 
 I do expect  all 3 to win out , yes Abington will loose 2  and that would give Ridgeview the Mnt 7 . How that works out for points ????I have no clue , The next 3 weeks will be fun .

How does RV win M7 if Union beats Abingdon for one of those 2 loses 🤔 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I take issue with this. There are many Graham fans on this board who are not like that. Unfortunately, every fan base has cocky fans, the loud lady that screams at the refs all night, etc. You can categorize the majority of a fanbase by a few. If someone states Graham has the best record in Region D or Bradshaw had a phenomenal night. Those to me are factual statements rather than cockiness. Cockiness would be saying, no one has a chance to beat Graham and that’s simply not true. Region D is tough and whichever team comes out on top, they will have worked for it and I will cheer them on against Region C whether it’s Graham or someone else. 

I don’t think my thoughts & opinions are worth two cents on here and definitely not cockiness but there are few that think they are ESPN football experts😂😂😂😂😂 and in reality, nah. Most of us just want a friendly back & forth about high school football. 

Rant over…must be the rain! 😂

Counterpoint: Graham is the best team in Region 2D this seaaon.  🤣

Every team is eminently beatable.  Graham certainly is.  But I believe Graham’s best is better than every other team in the Region.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Every team is eminently beatable.  Graham certainly is.  But I believe Graham’s best is better than every other team in the Region.

Bet you thought that last year too

47 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That was said

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I'm an RV can but I'm not giving them the Abingdon or Blufield game. If they wing both, they become the scariest team in the region.  The only team that I'd say the we can guarantee wins out is Central as the toughest part of their schedule is over.

6 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I'm an RV can but I'm not giving them the Abingdon or Blufield game. If they wing both, they become the scariest team in the region.  The only team that I'd say the we can guarantee wins out is Central as the toughest part of their schedule is over.

Yeah and after last night I'm not sure Union can beat Abingdon either lot of football still to go

9 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

"Abingdon", with a "d".  Sorry, it  bugs me when anybody does that.