Week 10 updates.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, tiger2001 said:

Richlands schedule was tough that year.  They were a solid 4-6 team with a very limited offense.   Mitchell didn’t have a particularly dominant playoff game until that last run .   Then he did what I’ve seen D1 high school kids do.  He made a play.  A huge one.   D1 athletes will not dominate every high school game.  Teams usually sale out to try and stop them.   But Mitchell was the difference maker.  Turner and Mance were quite possibly the best coaches in Swva for a couple years.   I don’t get the union guys bashing Turner.  From the outside it appears his teams play hard , make fewer mistakes , and his win percentage has to be as high as anyone’s in the area with comparable games under their belts.  Richlands has did well with the spread.  But if you  ask half of the fan base,  they will tell you that they were always somewhat envious of Turners offense.  

I don't have a problem with Turner like some do even though he seems to have a hard time developing a passing game with great athletes.  The problem at Union is the defensive coach not knowing what the hell he's doing.  I'd double whatever Rhodes is making at Eastside and beg him to come back

J did a fine job at Haysi while he was there. I think the man knows how to coach, the problem just may be that Union didn't come into the season with much depth(a problem all of the Mountain 7 teams have) and have lost at least 1 key player to injury and have several playing well below 100%.

Nothing against Rhoads but you gotta remember the talent he had while DC at Union - James Mitchell, the MONSTER DT they had, Polier, and a whole bunch of others. Most of those guys only played Defense too. 

3 hours ago, tiger2001 said:

I don’t get the union guys bashing Turner.  

Appalachia and Powell Valley have double digit combined state titles in football, Turner can't live up to that.  If it's not a title every few years then it's a failure to many Bears fans

19 minutes ago, redtiger said:

J did a fine job at Haysi while he was there. I think the man knows how to coach, the problem just may be that Union didn't come into the season with much depth(a problem all of the Mountain 7 teams have) and have lost at least 1 key player to injury and have several playing well below 100%.

Nothing against Rhoads but you gotta remember the talent he had while DC at Union - James Mitchell, the MONSTER DT they had, Polier, and a whole bunch of others. Most of those guys only played Defense too. 

The DT was Jeb Stidham and the group of LBs was best I've ever seen in M7. Tanner Kennedy still playing college ball. 

Most teams with solid programs have solid coaching from P-Nut football all the way up. Along the way, players are taught the exact plays they will be running once they get to varsity, all the way from their first year playing at 8 years old up to and through JV. With a program set up like that, you can’t just change your offense year to year to match your personnel. In that situation, you match your personnel to your offense. That said, I do think Union would find more success if the majority of their passes were play action off of their T Formation runs. 

Those teams were loaded with talent and then you throw in some legendary coaches and that gives you the  recipe for success that those Appalachia and Powell valley teams had  .  It’s hard for people to except that the depth level/ talent level has dropped. I know that it’s hard for teams to be balanced.  Richlands doesn’t have the horses to be balanced. Union and central are  somewhat one dimensional.  That’s why Graham , IMO is the toughest out this year in the region.  Good qb play. Good running back. Good line.  1 of the best lineman prospects in the state.  A playmaking athlete to stretch a defense , with some complimentary receivers. Not sure that anyone other than Rv has the potential to be that balanced.  I’m excluding abingdon and Haven’t watched enough of va high.  But Turner is widely regarded  in the region as a good coach.  Mance was a the same way. Maybe he did stay with the spread a season or 2 to long but nonetheless they were still relevant and always won a game or two that they weren't expected to win even during his final 3 years.