Ridgeview/Central

Gridiron60

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Central easily in my opinion. They are rolling right now, we’ll coached, disciplined, and not sure they have any weaknesses. Ridgeview seems hot & cold. They barely squeaked it out against Richlands. 

Pretty fair take on this one.  Central rolled over Tazewell, who doesn’t have much of a running game.  I’m not too high in RV’s running game….seems to be hit or miss al the time and generates too many losses.  Watching the game on NFHS….noticed RV was inside the 15 yard line three times and generated 0 points against Richlands.  They can’t do that….if they lack a power running game they have to kick some field goals.  But RV can generate quick offense and get huge yardage chunks via the pass.

8 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Pretty fair take on this one.  Central rolled over Tazewell, who doesn’t have much of a running game.  I’m not too high in RV’s running game….seems to be hit or miss al the time and generates too many losses.  Watching the game on NFHS….noticed RV was inside the 15 yard line three times and generated 0 points against Richlands.  They can’t do that….if they lack a power running game they have to kick some field goals.  But RV can generate quick offense and get huge yardage chunks via the pass.

The first time they weren't for it in the 2nd quarter was a hard decision.  It was 4th and goal from the 4. If they kick the field goal (assuming it's good) your up 10 - 3. I felt like Richlands getting that stop was massive.  They scored on a huge run a few plays later and the whole momentum flipped. I believe RV would have won by about 10 to 17 points without that quick momentum swin, but who knows. I have no evidence just a feel for how the game was going.

On this one, RV will need some of the luck they had in the first game. I believe they've got to be pass first. Central will stop their run, but I believe there are big plays to be had if they will do short passes to Beavers. Put Hill at tight end or on the same side and pressure their secondary. 

Going to go with Ridgeview to beat Central.  28-21.   Central is very good, but I think Ridgeview's staff has finally realized they are a passing team and they've waited a bit in the 2nd half of games to open the offense and air it out.  I think they come out guns blazing in the passing game and spread central out early.  This time, they won't wait until the second half like against Bluefield.  They'll pass early and often.  The QB is now almost like a sophomore.  He's got enough games under his belt at this point that we can toss out the freshmen jitters stuff.  Ridgeview wins and Beavers has a field day in open space.  

Just now, GilesDavis4321 said:

Going to go with Ridgeview to beat Central.  28-21.   Central is very good, but I think Ridgeview's staff has finally realized they are a passing team and they've waited a bit in the 2nd half of games to open the offense and air it out.  I think they come out guns blazing in the passing game and spread central out early.  This time, they won't wait until the second half like against Bluefield.  They'll pass early and often.  The QB is not almost like a sophomore.  He's got enough games under his belt at this point that we can toss out the freshmen jitters stuff.  Ridgeview wins and Beavers has a field day in open space.  

I’ll be interested to see if your prediction plays out. Central seems to be clicking on all cylinders right now. Apparently, the seniors have been talked about since little league. They are supposed to be “the group”. They’ve got some great athletes, well disciplined. I’m not sure how well they can defend against Ridgeview if they come out putting it up successfully. Beavers is definitely a playmaker. Will it be enough to defeat Central twice? 

7 minutes ago, EH31 said:

How did Ridgeview shut out Central earlier this year? 

Central was entering the season without Crabtree and they moved their QB to a WR/all purpose back position. They were certainly not clicking yet.

Also, Ridgeview got lucky.

I would be completely shocked if RV wins this game. Central won't stall out their drives like they did in the first game.

They can take Beavers out the game, and while the Pack's D is pretty good, they won't shut Central down in this game.

I think the Warriors win this one by at least 3 TDs.

I think RV has a really good chance.  Richlands gave beavers extra attention and Rv didn’t target him in first half.  Qb settled down in second half and played really really good.   Special teams seems to be an issue. Richlands recovered 3 onside kicks in the game last spring and one Friday night.  Add Webb running a kickoff back vs them plus a shaky kicking game and that could hurt.    It Wasn’t so much that they played bad Friday  ( I thought their group of receivers and qb was as solid as I’ve seen ) but Richlands played their best game of the season.  They scrapped everything they wanted to do at seasons beginning and just handed it to Webb almost 30 times.  That formula worked the previous week vs va high as well. I’m sure if the blues had it to do over this season they would have went with that approach .  If rv can remotely stop the run , I think they win by a couple scores.  Either way it should be a good game. 

13 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’ll be interested to see if your prediction plays out. Central seems to be clicking on all cylinders right now. Apparently, the seniors have been talked about since little league. They are supposed to be “the group”. They’ve got some great athletes, well disciplined. I’m not sure how well they can defend against Ridgeview if they come out putting it up successfully. Beavers is definitely a playmaker. Will it be enough to defeat Central twice? 

Only senior class that could have been drafted if there was a draft.I know its legal ,but what are you saying to the MEN playing kids?I didnt like it when gate city did it and i still dont like the hold back rule.Maybe they are going to use the COVID NCAA RULE and play again next year

The whole holdback talk has been outdated for years.  About 30 to 40 percent of high school seniors that start more than 2 years as a varsity player have held back in some manner . Some started school a year late. Some did it early on for academic reasons , and several do it primarily for sports purposes.   Holding back does not lift weights for the kids , does not run wind sprints in the offseason.  Holding back is a means for an athlete to develop, if they choose to do the work.  You’ll never see parents of successful players ( whether they held back or not ) complain about others who do. Kids need to work harder if they are worried that another kid may take a position away.  Don’t blame it on the hold back.  Yes. There is a huge maturity difference in a 18/19 year old than they are a 16/17. I agree 100 percent.  However.  Give me the kid that works year round to get better at 17, than a 19 year old holdback that doesn’t work hard. Richlands , Graham , Tazewell and I’m sure several of the M7 teams have holdbacks on every single team that comes through.  The method is not encouraged so much any more by administrators but it still goes on.  Those kids that did still have to work.  It’s not a magic potion to win games.  It’s just  an advantage,  if they make the most of the so called extra year.  

10 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Only senior class that could have been drafted if there was a draft.I know its legal ,but what are you saying to the MEN playing kids?I didnt like it when gate city did it and i still dont like the hold back rule.Maybe they are going to use the COVID NCAA RULE and play again next year

Didn’t realize my 17 yo is a man. He’s as big as plenty of men but he is by no means a man and yes he’s a starter and a senior. Wow must be this new woke way of thinking. Good thing union has zero hold backs. 😂😂 I know they have several stop being ignorant because you got beat.

15 minutes ago, Warriordad said:

Didn’t realize my 17 yo is a man. He’s as big as plenty of men but he is by no means a man and yes he’s a starter and a senior. Wow must be this new woke way of thinking. Good thing union has zero hold backs. 😂😂 I know they have several stop being ignorant because you got beat.

You get mad at him for saying something and then proceed to talk the same crap about Unions kids.  

I’m not talking crap about union kids. I don’t care if the whole team is hold backs. I’m just saying don’t act like they don’t have any hold backs. Talk trash about central constantly when your own team has them too. He seems to act like the whole senior class is hold backs. Figure out the facts before running your mouth about a team. Union has an excellent team and coaches. They had a bad game so trash talk the team that beat them. 

5 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

You get mad at him for saying something and then proceed to talk the same crap about Unions kids.  

16 minutes ago, Warriordad said:

I’m not talking crap about union kids. I don’t care if the whole team is hold backs. I’m just saying don’t act like they don’t have any hold backs. Talk trash about central constantly when your own team has them too. He seems to act like the whole senior class is hold backs. Figure out the facts before running your mouth about a team. Union has an excellent team and coaches. They had a bad game so trash talk the team that beat them. 

Not sure but I'd say he was joking and it came off wrong but don't know.  He's been on here for awhile and jokes around

On 11/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t think so.  Central won’t let RV have enough possessions to “figure it out” or “crank up the offense”.  It seems like RV starts slow in big games…..and they cannot do that in this game because I don’t think they’ll stop Central’s rushing attack.  If they sleep walk it will be 21-0 and late in the 3rd quarter in a heartbeat.

10 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I don’t think so.  Central won’t let RV have enough possessions to “figure it out” or “crank up the offense”.  It seems like RV starts slow in big games…..and they cannot do that in this game because I don’t think they’ll stop Central’s rushing attack.  If they sleep walk it will be 21-0 and late in the 3rd quarter in a heartbeat.

Does Ridgeview always play a bad first half.  I've noticed a couple games this year where they turn it up in the second half

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Does Ridgeview always play a bad first half.  I've noticed a couple games this year where they turn it up in the second half

Most games this year they have. I think it's the old mindset that you have to establish the run. With RV, they need to come out throwing and work the run in. They would have a lot more success. Screens and short passes should be the majority of their offense. Once O'Quinn gets in rythm, they can put up points in a hurry. They've done that to every team on the schedule (except Abingdon). Just got down too much to Union and Bluefield in the half.

I don't think RV thought Richlands would be much of a challenge, they seemed to come out flat thinking all they had to do was go through the motions.  The team that comes into this with their heads in the right place will win in the end.  This could come down to ball control.  If it had not been for Richlands having 3-15 yard penalties on RV's last drive, the outcome would have had a chance of being different, so RV better come out fired up and ready to play. Congrats to both teams, and I hope they both have a safe outting, but Central should win this one IMO.