Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Very proud of this giles team....showed some toughness tonight that hasn't been seen in a couple years...with this young team and the talent in the pipeline coming it could get good again in pearisburg..tough task next thur when Galax comes to town 

Definitely going to have our hands full. I do like the changes that were made to our offense this week.

Final Scores

West Virginia

Martinsburg, WV over Salem 40-7

Princeton 53, Lincoln County 8

Fairmont Sr 42, Lewis County 6

Summers County 49, Pineview 14

James Monroe cheated Sherman 41-6

Montcalm Generals of Mercer County, WV beats Phelps, KY 42-6

Mount View 24, Riverview 8

Virginia Scores

Martinsburg WV over Salem 40-7

Jefferson Forest 33 Gretna 12

Bath County beats Covington 21-14 which was their final meeting in schools history.

Carroll County 56, Patrick County 25

Abingdon 46, Battle 6

Craig County 20, Bland County 14

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Watching this one now on my phone.  Looks like a great comeback by Bluefield after being down.  Great coaching by Bluefield's offensive staff.  Lots of 50-50 type calls heavily going Bluefield's way from what I've watched so far.

Yeah, a lot! 😂 Bluefield made a great comeback! Kudos to them & kudos to Graham for making some key plays when needed. 

6 hours ago, Graham32 said:

Great win for the G-Men but boy they have a lot of work to do. Offense is pretty much one dimensional. Gonna be fun to see how much they progress this year. 

If they can keep every defense on the field as much as they did Beaver that first quarter, that’s a good thing. You’re right, definitely got some work to do on offense especially. I thought defense was much further along for the first game than years past. 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If they can keep every defense on the field as much as they did Beaver that first quarter, that’s a good thing. You’re right, definitely got some work to do on offense especially. I thought defense was much further along for the first game than years past. 

Graham's dangerous and could possibly be an 8-2 team, even though a good chance of 10-0, but the "wow" factor will not be there with fans because of Grahams power running game which will result in scores that are not as lopsided as the last 2 or so years. But, that's deception. They are as good,. When you run the ball that effectively and you have an efficient short passing game, the scores or 8-2, 9-1 record is dangerously deceiving come playoff time. Teams like this can go the distance. Gate City 12 or so years ago, Giles, and for Graham fans, a 7-3 Harrisonburg over 20 years ago, Poqouson against Richlands, etc. 

Graham's run first offense may find themselves in games, but against great opponents, that will put them always in the game and the chance to win, even late in the playoffs. My takeaway from that game was 2 things.

1. Bluefield is Very good. State Championship game appearance good, not just Semifinal good. Their lineplay is way improved and they have athletes all over the field and dynamic. 

2. Palmer and staff just shut people like me up with the short and intermediate passing game. Graham did some hitches, did a whole lot of short and intermediate routes and it looks like Graham has inserted this into their offense which is impressive. Graham will not face a secondary from now until as far as they possibly go, even deep playoffs with more speed as Bluefield's. That's a good sign for Graham's passing game which had a first time starter at QB. That run first and short/intermediate passing offense limited Bluefields explosive playmakers possessions and Palmer and staff drafted a masterpiece offensively last night. Same for Simon and Bluefield keeping Graham's aggressive D fooled a few times for big scores.