Week 5 Scores & Updates

Gridiron60

On 9/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Martinsville blasts Halifax County who was previously undefeated and they also beat Dan River worse than Appo beat Dan River. 

For what its worth, Appomattox was up 42-8 at the half and then later stuck the back ups in to where the score went to 42-26 off some quick scores and a scoop fumble.  Coach put the first string back in to make sure nothing majorly stupid happened. 

Best I can remember it anyway.

3 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh good lord

Yeah because a record of 20-24 since 2018 is a great look? 4 losing seasons in the past 5 years is a great look? Winning 1 playoff game since 2018 against a team that wouldn't have even been eligible without the expanded playoff is a great look? Why are you "oh good lording" a legitimate comment? 

We have a talent drop/talent cycle down this is the culprit. It's Obvious guys. It's Obvious. If you've watched Giles football for decades, you can see with your eyes and know when we have talent/talent cycle up and talent down, or talent medium (which is where we are now). We will be back. Our coaching is solid in my opinion. Future looks good at Giles.

12 hours ago, BoBob said:

For what its worth, Appomattox was up 42-8 at the half and then later stuck the back ups in to where the score went to 42-26 off some quick scores and a scoop fumble.  Coach put the first string back in to make sure nothing majorly stupid happened. 

Best I can remember it anyway.

Did not know this Bobob. That's worth a whole lot imo because it obviously tells the true story of what happened.....and that the game was far worse than 42-26 and nowhere near as close. 

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

We have a talent drop/talent cycle down this is the culprit. It's Obvious guys. It's Obvious. If you've watched Giles football for decades, you can see with your eyes and know when we have talent/talent cycle up and talent down, or talent medium (which is where we are now). We will be back. Our coaching is solid in my opinion. Future looks good at Giles.

This has to be dumbest most incoherent comment I've ever read on this site. Didn't seem like this talent up talent down etc theory of yours was happening under Ragsdale? That man had 2 losing seasons from 1978-2007! During his tenure, Giles had only 3 years with negative point deferential. Giles has been in the negative point deferential for 5 years in a row currently with more losing seasons since 2018 than Ragsdale had in 39 seasons. These facts doesn't support your incoherent comment in any way. Giles also returned almost their entire team from last year and got worse!!! It's almost like everyone else is getting better during the off-season except Giles and it shows. 

9 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

This has to be dumbest most incoherent comment I've ever read on this site. Didn't seem like this talent up talent down etc theory of yours was happening under Ragsdale? That man had 2 losing seasons from 1978-2007! During his tenure, Giles had only 3 years with negative point deferential. Giles has been in the negative point deferential for 5 years in a row currently with more losing seasons since 2018 than Ragsdale had in 39 seasons. These facts doesn't support your incoherent comment in any way. Giles also returned almost their entire team from last year and got worse!!! It's almost like everyone else is getting better during the off-season except Giles and it shows. 

I agree with Bandana.

6 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

It's weird that presenting a talent cycle or talent up or down scenario is some "foreign" concept to you. That's equally comical. You don't even acknowledge talent levels. It's completely off the table to you. You don't acknowledge numbers/student population. Ragsdale had way more to choose from and he had no social media interference or cell phones for most of his career, and once a program was rolling, keeping it that way was easier than today.

You are giving valid numbers without giving valid rationale as to why those numbers are what they are. Williams has done well, especially early on. You do NOT go from being a great coach to a poor coach. In your emotional mind, you may feel different, but by in large, it doesn't work that way. 

I think you are a little concrete, and never fully reached formal operations with reasoning. Add in the 2022 emotional based par-for-the-course argumentative style, and it tells me you don't know Shit from Shinola

6 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

I guess stats and facts aren't your thing either....

One thing you need to figure in when trying to explain things to people with "hokie", and "VT", in their user names, is they have been groomed over time to believing losing to who you're supposed to lose to, beating most of the teams your supposed to beat, and losing 1 or 2 games you should of won easily, is a perfectly fine and normal year. No need for concern. Everythings fine. Oh yeah, and questionable coaching decisions can be blamed on the wind. Don't really matter that it wasn't a windy day. Facts and stats don't matter.

1 hour ago, Stranger danger said:

One thing you need to figure in when trying to explain things to people with "hokie", and "VT", in their user names, is they have been groomed over time to believing losing to who you're supposed to lose to, beating most of the teams your supposed to beat, and losing 1 or 2 games you should of won easily, is a perfectly fine and normal year. No need for concern. Everythings fine. Oh yeah, and questionable coaching decisions can be blamed on the wind. Don't really matter that it wasn't a windy day. Facts and stats don't matter.

All I here from you two lugnuts are emotion.  You give ZERO reasons as to how the numbers you give ARE what they ARE, or the WHY behind the numbers.  That's the part that you two don't seem to get through those thick emotional skulls.  I can assure you, if Giles were go 10-0 next year, Williams would be the greatest Coach in the world again and he would all of a sudden in your minds, "be refocused for 2023."  You two basically don't know what you are talking about and everytime you post, you make arses of yourselves.  99% of reasonable people on this board over the years know and understand (and have stated it) that Giles has a talent problem compared to where we were.  It's absolutely noticeable.  You can only coach a 180 lb left guard so much.  You can only coach a 135 pound running back and safety so much.  That guard or safety could be incredible also, but when he goes against the 230 lb Galax defensive tackle, he's not going to win, or when the 140lb safety goes to tackle the 200 lb plus Galax running back, he will get that tackle some, but sooner or later by the 2nd half, he's not. 

Our line has been noticeably SMALL the past 6 or so years.  I know it's a stretch for you two, because you would actually have to THINK back 10 years, (not easy for many in 2022 because EMOTION trumps any rational thought) but if you are able to do it, compare the differences in size from those teams and now.  Forget about looking at the starters, just look at the team photos.  I know this hurts because if you can "feel"<-----your driving force that Giles has a coaching problem, then that's a "simple one person problem" and it sets better with you emotionally.  If Giles has a talent problem, then that's a whole other ballgame.  You know that it's not a one person fix and that it's a deeper and more complicated thing to fix, and that bothers you because you aren't in as much control emotionally anymore.  Richlands has gone through the same thing the past 5 or so years and their fans are now realizing it.  They are even finally admitting on this board that the talent simply is not what it once was.  These talent cycles happen.  It's a real thing whether you want to admit it or not (and you don't.)  You are giving concrete numbers (which are good numbers) but you aren't giving the accurate meaning as to the WHY those numbers are that way.

9 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Yeah because a record of 20-24 since 2018 is a great look? 4 losing seasons in the past 5 years is a great look? Winning 1 playoff game since 2018 against a team that wouldn't have even been eligible without the expanded playoff is a great look? Why are you "oh good lording" a legitimate comment? 

Talent is down and it goes thru cycles...we've been very lucky over the years...if your talent is down this is going to happen...just accept it

1 hour ago, Stranger danger said:

You and 1Wingit23 should coach...bet you guys would never lose

22 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

All I here from you two lugnuts are emotion.  You give ZERO reasons as to how the numbers you give ARE what they ARE, or the WHY behind the numbers.  That's the part that you two don't seem to get through those thick emotional skulls.  I can assure you, if Giles were go 10-0 next year, Williams would be the greatest Coach in the world again and he would all of a sudden in your minds, "be refocused for 2023."  You two basically don't know what you are talking about and everytime you post, you make arses of yourselves.  99% of reasonable people on this board over the years know and understand (and have stated it) that Giles has a talent problem compared to where we were.  It's absolutely noticeable.  You can only coach a 180 lb left guard so much.  You can only coach a 135 pound running back and safety so much.  That guard or safety could be incredible also, but when he goes against the 230 lb Galax defensive tackle, he's not going to win, or when the 140lb safety goes to tackle the 200 lb plus Galax running back, he will get that tackle some, but sooner or later by the 2nd half, he's not. 

Our line has been noticeably SMALL the past 6 or so years.  I know it's a stretch for you two, because you would actually have to THINK back 10 years, (not easy for many in 2022 because EMOTION trumps any rational thought) but if you are able to do it, compare the differences in size from those teams and now.  Forget about looking at the starters, just look at the team photos.  I know this hurts because if you can "feel"<-----your driving force that Giles has a coaching problem, then that's a "simple one person problem" and it sets better with you emotionally.  If Giles has a talent problem, then that's a whole other ballgame.  You know that it's not a one person fix and that it's a deeper and more complicated thing to fix, and that bothers you because you aren't in as much control emotionally anymore.  Richlands has gone through the same thing the past 5 or so years and their fans are now realizing it.  They are even finally admitting on this board that the talent simply is not what it once was.  These talent cycles happen.  It's a real thing whether you want to admit it or not (and you don't.)  You are giving concrete numbers (which are good numbers) but you aren't giving the accurate meaning as to the WHY those numbers are that way.

I know you think you're the "Cliff Clavin" of this board, and you think you know everything about everything,  but coming on here and spreading your Kamala Harris word salad, "the talent level at Giles is down because there's a down cycle in talent at Giles,  doesn't impress most of us.  . You believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I see. 

30 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

I know you think you're the "Cliff Clavin" of this board, and you think you know everything about everything,  but coming on here and spreading your Kamala Harris word salad, "the talent level at Giles is down because there's a down cycle in talent at Giles,  doesn't impress most of us.  . You believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I see. 

Once again, another personal emotion filled insult where you simply don't say anything. That means you have lost the argument. You actually never had one to start with.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It's great that you mentioned the size of the players at Galax especially. Why don't you also look at their off-season strength and conditioning program and compare it to Giles.... You could start with that one aspect and figure out why "Giles talent has dropped." Other schools have surpassed Giles in probably the most important aspect.. Off season strength and conditioning and it shows itself every Fri night. Go to the wellness center and look at how many Giles players have to carry a membership because they aren't getting it from the program. I hope the kids from Riverheads and other schools don't find out about these cells phones or social media of football will just be doomed hahahaha

5 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

I hope the kids from Riverheads and other schools don't find out about these cells phones or social media of football will just be doomed hahahaha

Are you saying the cell phones and social media are to blame for the lack of success at Giles? If so, wouldn't that be on the kids/parents and not the coaching staff? 

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Are you saying the cell phones and social media are to blame for the lack of success at Giles? If so, wouldn't that be on the kids/parents and not the coaching staff? 

Lol absolutely not. Bandanavtdavis mentioned it as part of his excuses a few posts above and I was just making fun of it is all. Like literally every kid at every school has social media and a phone but apparently it only affects Giles according to him

21 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Once again, another personal emotion filled insult where you simply don't say anything. That means you have lost the argument. You actually never had one to start with.

Wrong Cliff. Haven't lost anything. 23 man posts stats, numbers, facts and history, but you say he only posts off emotions. Appears to me you are the one posting on emotion. Explain this one thing, and try to do it with no word salad, and less than 500 words. Why, under Ragsdale, was there never a 3,4,5 year low talent cycle? Playing in bigger divisions, bigger better districts, far tougher schedules? I'm sure this will be good.

3 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Lol absolutely not. Bandanavtdavis mentioned it as part of his excuses a few posts above and I was just making fun of it is all. Like literally every kid at every school has social media and a phone but apparently it only affects Giles according to him

Don't lie now. You have gone from ignorance and advanced to lying. I stated a grand total of ZERO times that cell phones "apparently only affecting Giles." Those are your words. I stated it's more difficult to maintain dominance (without a dropoff) because of social media compared to what it was 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Stranger danger said:

Wrong Cliff. Haven't lost anything. 23 man posts stats, numbers, facts and history, but you say he only posts off emotions. Appears to me you are the one posting on emotion. Explain this one thing, and try to do it with no word salad, and less than 500 words. Why, under Ragsdale, was there never a 3,4,5 year low talent cycle? Playing in bigger divisions, bigger better districts, far tougher schedules? I'm sure this will be good.

I feel the hammer coming on. You will not be here long. I also know who you are.

2 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

Didn't think you wanted to answer that one. Change the subject please

Your argument. Giles talent level is the same as 10 years ago and the problem is the coaches. The coach was once solid,, but now is not good. That makes you.........not smart. Everything that has followed has been meaningless babble and you sir, are soon to get the hammer.