Games against Tennessee teams?

BlueDevilVolMan

Does any team here in the coverage area play Tennessee teams? I always liked hearing about Virginia and Tennessee teams playing. 

I am a Unicoi County fan. I don’t know that we’ve ever played any teams in Virginia. It would be good to play some Virginia teams. 

I know that Unicoi played Tazewell, VA back in the 40’s for at least one game. 

Pretty sure I remember seeing where them and VA High used to play regularly for a while. 

@BlueDevilVolMan you can go to http://fourseasonsfootball.com/tn.html and click on Unicoi and see all of their results of their past games.

Union has played Motown West, Crockett and Sullivan North in the past. I remember Lee playing Knoxville Austin-East back in the early 90s. Gate City has played North, South, D-B, THS, Central, Ketron, Lynn View and possibly Boone that I can remember. There may be others. PV played Volunteer, North and Seymore. Graham has played South and Greeneville IIRC. Appy played Cloudland at least once. 

I would like to see Virginia High pick up an evenly-sized Tennessee school now that the V-T Game is dead

Unicoi County would be a good candidate for that if the administration were to consider it

6 hours ago, V-Cats said:

I would like to see Virginia High pick up an evenly-sized Tennessee school now that the V-T Game is dead

Unicoi County would be a good candidate for that if the administration were to consider it

Why is the V-T game dead? Didn’t they play for over 100 years?

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Gate City and the Sullivan County Schools have been doing battle on and off since the 50s I think.

Gate City has probably played more games against Tennessee teams than anyone not named Virginia High. They had regular series with Sullivan North, Sullivan South, Tennessee High played Ketron, Lynn View, Church Hill before consolidation and played DB, Elizabethton and Daniel Boone.  

On 9/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Does any team here in the coverage area play Tennessee teams? I always liked hearing about Virginia and Tennessee teams playing. 

I am a Unicoi County fan. I don’t know that we’ve ever played any teams in Virginia. It would be good to play some Virginia teams. 

Have your AD call Gate City's AD they need games for next year!

With less schools to play on the VA side, the VA schools absolutely should look to TN and KY.  While GC, VHS, Abingdon, JB, Rye Cove, Lee, Tw and TS can get to TN fairly easily, Union, Central and Ridgeview can get to KY easily.  RV has had a KY team on the schedule for the last five years until this year.  Union has played several.  

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Have your AD call Gate City's AD they need games for next year!

The Blue Devils would most definitely win. But the question is, which Blue Devils? Gate City? Or Unicoi County?

Our stadium is fairly nice. But it only has one side. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

With less schools to play on the VA side, the VA schools absolutely should look to TN and KY.  While GC, VHS, Abingdon, JB, Rye Cove, Lee, Tw and TS can get to TN fairly easily, Union, Central and Ridgeview can get to KY easily.  RV has had a KY team on the schedule for the last five years until this year.  Union has played several.  

Lord please no more KY games 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Didn't Graham play Greenville several years back?

yes in 2001 and 2002

2001 Graham won 40-7

2002 Greeneville won  34-32

also

Tenn High in 1999 and 2000

1999 Graham won 40-20

2000 Tenn High won 26-23

Elizabethton in 1999 and 2000

Elizabethton won both 

40-20

26-20

On 9/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Appalachia use to play a Tn. team every year too mostly Sullivan North and scrimmaged Sullivan Central played Cloudland also if I'm not mistaken

11 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Appalachia use to play a Tn. team every year too mostly Sullivan North and scrimmaged Sullivan Central played Cloudland also if I'm not mistaken

They did play North. IIRC, one of the North kids got hurt pretty bad in a game at Riggs. 

8 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Lord please no more KY games 

One of my friends used to play for Belfry. The first time PV went to Breathitt, he told me PV would be down 2 TD when they got off the bus. I thought he was joking, but he was right.