Union @ Ridgeview

TaterHater

20 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

If I recall correctly, that Lee team dominated much of the game against that vaunted 1998 Powell Valley team. Maybe Bluefield researcher has the article?

PV only win by three, 21-18, in by far their closest game. No other team was within one TD of PV and only three other teams scored more against PV (CW had 20 and lost 49-20, Coeburn had 21 in a 41-21 loss and Honaker scored 19 in a 38-19 opening round playoff game). Lee had finished as a final four team in Div IV in 97 IIRC and returned a ton of talent. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Any of you all have Satterfields ypc average? I would like to see him get more touches. I could be wrong, but it seems whenver Johnny Satterfield totes the rock, the rock gets moved a minimum of 5 yds. His pappy was the same way at Lee High back in the day, except his pappy had some serious burst/dangerous speed.

Yeah dad and son where two completely different players one with power and other with speed

36 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

PV only win by three, 21-18, in by far their closest game. No other team was within one TD of PV and only three other teams scored more against PV (CW had 20 and lost 49-20, Coeburn had 21 in a 41-21 loss and Honaker scored 19 in a 38-19 opening round playoff game). Lee had finished as a final four team in Div IV in 97 IIRC and returned a ton of talent. 

Thanks for the details. As a side note, this 98 team beat Richlands in the regular season handily, but was upset in the playoffs. I primarily credit the reversal of results to the defensive strategy of one Dennis Palmer. He had implemented a 4-3 defense for this game plan that proved very effective. As Graham fans can attest, the man knows defense.

Back then it seems like everyone had bigger, faster,  stronger athletes.  Getting kids to prepare for battle was simpler then. What would a back like that,  or Housewright, or jonesx2, or a hamilton do to soft defensive ways now? They'd mop up. Polier, Cody haynes, and Devin Johnson are about the only big backs in the past I can recall. 

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Back then it seems like everyone had bigger, faster,  stronger athletes.  Getting kids to prepare for battle was simpler then. What would a back like that,  or Housewright, or jonesx2, or a hamilton do to soft defensive ways now? They'd mop up. Polier, Cody haynes, and Devin Johnson are about the only big backs in the past I can recall. 

Speaking of Cody Haynes https://www.hudl.com/profile/3320714/Cody-Haynes Here’s a good highlight tape 

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Kid who played at Lee that transferred from Gate City was a bruiser too 

2 hours ago, generallyspeaking said:

Speaking of Cody Haynes https://www.hudl.com/profile/3320714/Cody-Haynes Here’s a good highlight tape 

Still say if lee had given him the ball the series before the no-catch they win.  Lee had the ball i believe 2nd, 3rd & short. If they'd picked up first down they go into victory formation.  That team had a lot of potential, a lot due to #40.

I can remember playing Lee high in 98 as a sophomore and Pappy Satterfield was a senior and I meet him in the hole once and was watching him run all the way to the house on my back. Tough night for Appalachia that night. As Satterfield and Co put it on us 49 to 3.

35 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Still say if lee had given him the ball the series before the no-catch they win.  Lee had the ball i believe 2nd, 3rd & short. If they'd picked up first down they go into victory formation.  That team had a lot of potential, a lot due to #40.

Yep. On 2nd 3rd and 4th and less than one they gave it to a very small running back instead of 40 and the rest was history.. 

catch. 🤣